The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC in a rush to Implode - Selling off All Buildings in midst of Election Campaign

TOMapleLaughs

The fifth estate, Marketplace, and the passionate eye are all worthwhile, IMO.

IMO they should focus on news/current affairs shows like these. These are quality programming that corporate media do not touch as they generally lower ad revenues.

It's not that I don't find CBC shows useful (I watch FE from time to time), but it makes no sense for all this nonsense programming to be subsidized by taxpayers.

It's weird the paranoia that surrounds privatization. The job of content delivery is to give people what they want. If they are successful, it's because the populace wants what they deliver. So just like with the issue of voting, if people feel like the standard will devolve, they should probably be a little more introspective rather than finger pointing. That simply won't happen though, but that's not my problem.

Unfortunately, since most people do not pay for TV, the content delivery long ago became giving people what advertisers want to give them.

I watch CBC and I disagree. I wouldn't expect anyone to support something they do not use or want, but I'd stop short of telling me how it is. I know how it is, and I like it. Murdoch Mysteries is one of my favorite shows of all time. Perhaps it's a generational gap, and CBC needs to target a younger demographic, or perhaps the younger demographic needs to accept they are not the only people driving demand. Of course I am totally unfairly assuming you are young, I apologize if I am wrong, but I have found this to be the case in most of my pro-CBC ranting. Don't crap on my CBC, I still love them.

OMG - I'm 38 and this is not my fav show of all time. TV would die a fast death if every show is like this.

IMO, the problem with CBC drama programming is that the boss over there somehow has this illusion that families (as in mom, dad, son, daughter) actually sit around and watch TV together. So we get all these PG 13 shows that caters to no one because they try to cater to 'everyone'. CBC needs to make shows for different demographics: cartoons for pre-teens, teen shows like vampire crap and Mean Girls for teens, HBO/AMC/Showcase like shows for people in the 20's to 40's, and the Coronation Streets for older folks like Chalky.

There is no reason why we can't do any of this. The decision makers over there are just way out of touch with reality.

If the demand isn’t enough to fulfill the supply, then it’s time to move on. Why waste money on a dying media vehicle, TV. Radio and even print media are becoming a thing of the past. Time to move everything digital, either get on that train or get left behind. Remember when Blockbuster chose not to move digital and buy Netfilx when they had the opportunity in the early 2000’s.

If the demand isn’t enough to fulfill the supply, then it’s time to move on. Why waste money on a dying media vehicle, TV. Radio and even print media are becoming a thing of the past. Time to move everything digital, either get on that train or get left behind. Remember when Blockbuster chose not to move digital and buy Netfilx when they had the opportunity in the early 2000’s.

That's a function of delivery. People still want visual entertainment and news, just not broadcasted. As far as content creation goes there is a stronger demand than ever. CBC with its assets has a great opportunity to capitalize but no they only make stupid PG 13 shows.

That's a function of delivery. People still want visual entertainment and news, just not broadcasted. As far as content creation goes there is a stronger demand than ever. CBC with its assets has a great opportunity to capitalize but no they only make stupid PG 13 shows.

Not to mention I think the OP said the buildings are for production. What that has to do with digital broadcasting or not I'm not sure.

I think it's just a matter of yet another crown corp being fossilized, then privatized, while upselling a supposed cash benefit to the Canadians who originally paid for it.

OMG - I'm 38 and this is not my fav show of all time. TV would die a fast death if every show is like this.

IMO, the problem with CBC drama programming is that the boss over there somehow has this illusion that families (as in mom, dad, son, daughter) actually sit around and watch TV together. So we get all these PG 13 shows that caters to no one because they try to cater to 'everyone'. CBC needs to make shows for different demographics: cartoons for pre-teens, teen shows like vampire crap and Mean Girls for teens, HBO/AMC/Showcase like shows for people in the 20's to 40's, and the Coronation Streets for older folks like Chalky.

There is no reason why we can't do any of this. The decision makers over there are just way out of touch with reality.

Well, you're old too Hugor, cuz we're basically the same age. I agree with what you said for the most art though, there needs to be changes made, but I have to reiterate that Murdoch Mysteries IS your favourite show...you just don't know it...of course I'm joking, preference is what it is. I do genuinely like it though, and it does have a decent following. You're totally right about the "PG 13 shows that caters to no one because they try to cater to 'everyone'". That can end anytime in my opinion. It's not like there isn't the talent out there to offer great programming. I'd like to see them change from with the typical Canadian P.C. shows and add some more edginess.

LMAO. I don't actually watch Coronation Street, but admittedly I used to with my Nans. CBC (as a national public broadcaster) still has value in my opinion. It's not too late to improve it and tale it to the next level. A good start is trying to get hockey back. Advertisers pay big bucks to reach the varied demographic it offers.

Hopefully the CBC will die.

And I don't understand why a surplus in bad economic times is a good thing. Surely it means we are being over taxed and the government is not using the funds available to get us out of the recession.

Ah yes the good ol "spend our way out of an economic recession" philosophy.

And when that doesn't work... spend more!

Problem is.. we already have a massive debt. People seem to pretend that even in a fiscal year surplus the debt isn't still there and needs to be paid.

Ah yes the good ol "spend our way out of an economic recession" philosophy.

And when that doesn't work... spend more!

Problem is.. we already have a massive debt. People seem to pretend that even in a fiscal year surplus the debt isn't still there and needs to be paid.

Harper had the same policy in 2008 and has run deficits for year after year. Bailed out banks that didn't need it. Cut all services. So status quo? Maybe the incoming party can find some of the 'lost' money though.

Harper had the same policy in 2008 and has run deficits for year after year. Bailed out banks that didn't need it. Cut all services. So status quo? Maybe the incoming party can find some of the 'lost' money though.

Nah less spending especially on First Nations and corporations would be a start but from the looks of it any of the three that get elected won't do crap. And Trudeau's platform is "&^@# it.. just run deficits".

I'll miss Mr. D and Dragons Den

Mr D is pretty funny but Dragons Den? Really? A show where they sit around waiting for something worthwhile and when they find it they basically steal it from the inventor. They dont pit themselves against each other to get the deal. They pit themselves against the person with the product to take as much of the company as they can for as little as they have to pay.

And once they get off air nothing is signed yet and any deal made on the show is non binding...so whatever. The guy with the doorbell thing that hooks to your cell phone and a small camera so you can answer your front door from anywhere. He sold it on the show and the deal fell through afterwards when it came time to sign and whoever it was that bought it wanted more than the agreed upon percentage of the company. That guy ended up walking and getting 25 million in financing from Richard Branson (owner of Virgin airways, records, etc) without having to give up control of his company. They now sell in Home Depot and other stores. He won by failing to make a deal. Thats Dragon Den in a nutshell.

EDIT: sorry for going so far off topic. I dont get much of anything out of CBC. Its rise or fall makes no real difference to me. I do miss Peter Puck though.

HNIC and Rick Mercer is really all CBC is good for now. But Sportsnet pretty much has a monopoly on hockey and Rick could probably get a spot somewhere else or do his own thing. With news, people end up going to Vice, National Post, Globe and Mail, the Economist, or otherwise. With shows, CBC is really lacking in quality content (missing Republic of Doyle right now :P).

There's just really not much point in it any more.

Mr D is pretty funny but Dragons Den? Really? A show where they sit around waiting for something worthwhile and when they find it they basically steal it from the inventor. They dont pit themselves against each other to get the deal. They pit themselves against the person with the product to take as much of the company as they can for as little as they have to pay.

And once they get off air nothing is signed yet and any deal made on the show is non binding...so whatever. The guy with the doorbell thing that hooks to your cell phone and a small camera so you can answer your front door from anywhere. He sold it on the show and the deal fell through afterwards when it came time to sign and whoever it was that bought it wanted more than the agreed upon percentage of the company. That guy ended up walking and getting 25 million in financing from Richard Branson (owner of Virgin airways, records, etc) without having to give up control of his company. They now sell in Home Depot and other stores. He won by failing to make a deal. Thats Dragon Den in a nutshell.

EDIT: sorry for going so far off topic. I dont get much of anything out of CBC. Its rise or fall makes no real difference to me. I do miss Peter Puck though.

Best post.

Archived