The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hundreds killed in stampede during hajj pilgrimage

nucklehead

A horrific stampede killed at least 717 pilgrims and injured hundreds more Thursday on the outskirts of the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, the deadliest tragedy to strike the annual hajj pilgrimage in more than two decades.

At least 863 pilgrims were injured in the crush, said the Saudi civil defence directorate, which provided the death toll. The tragedy struck as Muslims around the world marked the start of the Eid al-Adha holiday.

It was the second major disaster during this year’s hajj season, raising questions about the adequacy of measures put in place by Saudi authorities to ensure the safety of the roughly 2 million Muslims taking part in the pilgrimage. A crane collapse in Mecca nearly two weeks earlier left 111 people dead.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/hundreds-killed-in-deadly-stampede-on-outskirts-of-mecca-during-annual-hajj-pilgrimage

• July 2, 1990: A stampede inside a pedestrian tunnel (Al-Ma'aisim tunnel) leading out from Mecca towards Mina and the Plains of Arafat led to the deaths of 1,426 pilgrims, many of them of Malaysian, Indonesian and Pakistani origin.[2][3]
  • May 23, 1994: A stampede killed at least 270 pilgrims at the stoning of the Devil ritual.
  • April 9, 1998: at least 118 pilgrims were trampled to death and 180 injured in an incident on Jamarat Bridge.[4]
  • March 5, 2001: 35 pilgrims were trampled to death in a stampede during the stoning of the Devil ritual.[5]
  • February 11, 2003: The stoning of the Devil ritual claimed 14 pilgrims' lives.[6]
  • February 1, 2004: 251 pilgrims were killed and another 244 injured in a stampede during the stoning ritual in Mina.[7]
  • January 12, 2006: A stampede during the stoning of the Devil on the last day of the Hajj in Mina killed at least 346 pilgrims and injured at least 289 more. The incident occurred shortly after 13:00 local time, when a busload of travellers arrived together at the eastern access ramps to the Jamarat Bridge. This caused pilgrims to trip, rapidly resulting in a lethal stampede. An estimated two million people were performing the ritual at the time.
  • December 1975: An exploding gas cylinder caused a fire in a tent colony and resulted in the deaths of 200 pilgrims.[10]
  • April 15, 1997: 343 pilgrims were killed and 1,500 injured in a tent fire (Main article: Mecca fire of 1997).[11] The tents are now fireproof.
  • November 1, 2011: Two pilgrims, a wife and husband, died in a coach fire. There were two coaches in the convoy, and a person in the second coach noticed smoke billowing from the coach in front. He radioed the driver to stop. Everybody evacuated the coach, and as the last two were getting out, the coach suffered three explosions.
  • July 31, 1987: A clash between Iranian demonstrators and Saudi security forces brought death to more than 400 pilgrims and injury to thousands more.
  • July 9, 1989: Two bombs exploded, killing one pilgrim and wounding another 16. Saudi authorities executed 16 Kuwaiti ShiaMuslims for the bombings after originally suspecting Iranian agents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_during_the_Hajj

bucket list

I'm always curious as to how exactly this sort of thing can actually happen. Especially confusing when the majority of the participants are seemingly part of the religion of peace. Curiously it's also in part of the world where human rights are so progressive.

How is it confusing? When millions of people are crammed in a very thin area and are forced to walk fast because of the people behind them, one wrong move could cause a disaster. It has absoluately nothing with the religion or whether the people are "peaceful" or not. This could have happened anywhere in the world. If your still not sure how this could have occurred, read the article below.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-25/how-can-a-human-stampede-happen/6803952

How is it confusing? When millions of people are crammed in a very thin area and are forced to walk fast because of the people behind them, one wrong move could cause a disaster. It has absoluately nothing with the religion or whether the people are "peaceful" or not. This could have happened anywhere in the world. If your still not sure how this could have occurred, read the article below.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-25/how-can-a-human-stampede-happen/6803952

Right because there are so many cases of hundreds trampled to death in North America? It's a culture problem. I Canada you would have people tripping over themselves to give other people space and respect, where as here you have a horde of people that can't stop for anyone but themselves.

Right because there are so many cases of hundreds trampled to death in North America? It's a culture problem. I Canada you would have people tripping over themselves to give other people space and respect, where as here you have a horde of people that can't stop for anyone but themselves.

"Crowd management experts say human stampedes often begin when people in front of a group reach a barrier of some form and stop moving or slow down their pace, while those behind (and who cannot see in front) keep moving, assuming those in front will make space.

They could perhaps be more accurately described as a "crowd crush", where most deaths are from compressive asphyxiation rather than trampling".

If you had took a minute and read the first paragraph of the article I posted you wouldn't be so clueless. Again it has nothing to do with culture, religion, or a persons background. Every single person that died was there for a peaceful purpose and rather then fault-finding you can show a little respect.

Black Friday in every Wal-Mart?

I can say that this happens often in large gatherings. It's about people having respect for one another and using their brains more than anything.

I was almost crushed at a concert....was at the front/stage when the crowd surged from behind. A security guard who was on the ball noticed and signaled to me in a gesture asking if I wanted to be lifted over the retaining fence and out. I nodded yes and he did so. But I can attest to the fact that when you're in that situation, there's no way to communicate it to those behind who are pressing forward. So, it's important to have measures in place to address that. And, for people to use common sense.

Very sad. Happens like that and "people" need to tune in and settle down, that's all. If someone in front of you has stopped, you don't "press on". It's a fairly simple concept that idiots don't put into practice.

This is very sad and unacceptable, if these ppl were actaully walked over. Like what the hell, your going to mecca for peace of mind and bliss, so how can you walk over someone? I get concerts, people are rowdy and care-free but in a religious gathering were people are trying to reach the understanding of peace, I find it hard to believe.

This is why I loved what Babe Bhulle Shah says about these rituals.

1) Makeh gaya gal mukde naheen
2) Pawain so so jummay parrh aeey

Going to Makkah is not the ultimate
Even if hundreds of prayers are offered

3) Ganga gaya gal mukde naheen
4) Pawain so so gotey khaeey

Going to River Ganges is not the ultimate
Even if hundreds of cleansing (Baptisms) are done

5) Gaya gaya gal mukde naheen
6) Pawain so so pand parrhaeey

Going to Gaya is not the ultimate
Even if hundreds of worships are done