The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Benning part with more Vets?

Totes McGoats

If things go really south for us this season, i would like to see the following get traded at the deadline.

Higgins & Hansen to contenders for 2nds

Vrbata to a mid 1st

Edler for a top 15 pick

Sbisa and Dorsett for an overpaid pending UFA defenceman lol

finish the season with

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Burrows

Beartschi - Sutter - Virtanen

Gaunce - Horvat - McCann

Kenins - Friesen - Grenier

Hamhuis - Tanev

Bartkowski - Corrado

Weber - Hutton

if that doesnt land us a lottery pick i dont know what will lol.

going to the draft we will have two 2nds, three 1sts which we could package together for Matthews :emot-parrot::P

I think the first pre-season game should have proven the need for keeping a contingent of our young players in the AHL.

Injuries are going to happen during the season and if the season is anything like it was 2 years ago, we're going to need those players in the minors for call ups.

The exceptions are Virtanen and McCann and I agree that one of them should be on the opening night roster in order to speed up the rebuild. I would send McCann back to juniors for the simple fact that he just isn't physically mature enough, and I would keep Virtanen and bring him along slowly.

2016 trade deadline or slightly before:

Hamhuis (Edmonton would be a good fit)

Vrbata (Any contender)

Prust (Skilled contender looking for toughness depth)

Weber (Most teams like to add defence depth at deadline, the return won't be great but he should be easy to move)

Anything can happen, but I don't think Burrows will be moved this year (maybe next deadline). Conversely, I think Higgins will play the entire season with the Canucks, maybe before the draft or next season's deadline he'll get traded.

Hamhuis retire? :shock:

Yeah a big ? mark as far as I'm concerned. He's right up there in the respect department, but I feel the fan base hasn't supported him much lately. Sure we'd get something good for him, but do you really look at a player such as him, as a mere asset... he honestly should be resigned in order to mentor Hutton.

He's like Burrows... a Rock!!!

With the Emergence of Kenins/Gaunce/McCann/Shinkaruk/Virtanen/Grenier/Jensen and even Cole Cassels, all showing to be close to, if not already NHL ready players...

Is it time for Benning to make a move or two to open up some additional Roster spots?

Personally I feel like many of our "vets" could be replaced with cheaper, younger, more forward thinking options.

I want everyone to keep in mind that I am not saying I dislike any of these vets, just merely that from a business / development perspective that this year might be the year to part with some additional faces. I am also not suggesting we "peel the bandaid quick" and wipe all these folks off our roster right now - but based on what I am seeing it would be a disservice to these young players to not give them spaces they could potentially take.

Examples:

Hansen, probably worth a 2nd round draft pick if traded.

Replacements: Grenier / Gaunce

Burrows, Likely could garner a number of assets in return for him.

Replacements: Virtanen/Shinkaruk/Jensen/Kenins

Higgins, Likely could get us a 3rd/4th pick or a good young player from a team at the deadline

Replacements:Virtanen/Shinkaruk/Jensen

All three of these guys have been awesome warriors for the Vancouver Canucks, and I do see the benefit of having some vets around - but so often in the past we have wasted our drafted players by not giving them opportunities.

Based on my assumptions - I would think 1 or 2 of these guys will be gone at the deadline.

How is Hansen worth a 2nd round pick? Your delusional! Don't forget he has a NTC, realistically he may be worth a 4th, if he's even willing to leave. Another question is, how do you get a team to trade a good young player, for an aging veteran past his prime? Every GM I'm sure would love to know how to pull that one off!

How is Hansen worth a 2nd round pick? Your delusional! Don't forget he has a NTC, realistically he may be worth a 4th, if he's even willing to leave. Another question is, how do you get a team to trade a good young player, for an aging veteran past his prime? Every GM I'm sure would love to know how to pull that one off!

Hansen's fitness is of the highest class, he's fast, experenced, and he doesn't have a fat-head.

At the deadline... a team on the verge may feel that he is the missing piece.

He's been knocked because of his lack of scoring, but a team that has plenty of that already, usually needs a true defensive forward for the playoffs.

And he is that.

Yeah a big ? mark as far as I'm concerned. He's right up there in the respect department, but I feel the fan base hasn't supported him much lately. Sure we'd get something good for him, but do you really look at a player such as him, as a mere asset... he honestly should be resigned in order to mentor Hutton.

He's like Burrows... a Rock!!!

Wait, why do you think he might retire though lol, hes old but not THAT old lol still a great top 4. Makes no sense for him to retire lol

Wait, why do you think he might retire though lol, hes old but not THAT old lol still a great top 4. Makes no sense for him to retire lol

You're right it doesn't make sense unless you look at it from his standpoint. He's a Gold Meddle (I made a mistake, take note) Winner, A Champion... he's represented his country on numerous occasions.

He's been a stealer(OH MY GOD another mistake, TAKE NOTE) player for the Vancouver Canucks for years now, yet he has to endure the ridicule of disrespectful fans on a constant bases.

He should retire a Canuck, not be traded or ever considered ready for the trash heap!!

He's set, he's got money, a loving family and a life full of opportunities for the future.

Why shouldn't he bow out gracefully... even though the Canack Fan Base thinks "Grace" is a waitress!!

I've edited this for you so you can begin to understand why I offened some of you so often... Sorry As Hell !!

Hansen's got a modified ntc, not full. He could be moved if the team wished to move him.

I do think they'll keep him at least in the near future.

As for the original post, while I think only a couple of of the youngsters listed have shown themselves NHL ready or close to that could easily change by the trade deadline so I agree that it wouldn't be at all surprising to see a vet or 2 moved by then.

Burrows is worth more then a 3rd....

Are our guys really worth all that? Burrows still has years on his contract, so I don't see teams wanting him, period. Hamhuis and Vrbata are on expiring contracts, so at this spring's deadline they could return a couple late first rounders. Then at the draft could we turn the picks we have into a young stud defenceman? Calgary did. Are there any other steals out there like Hamilton?

I think it's wise not to overestimate our young guns. Many of them are showing some potential yes, but it would be ill-advised to throw them all into the NHL without any veteran presence -- see Edmonton.

I think Benning's plan is a good one; that is, to gradually introduce more youth into our system while using the veterans to help ease their way in. Within a few years, the vets will be mostly gone, leaving just the youth--a much more mature able youth.

Archived