The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Benning part with more Vets?

Totes McGoats

With the number of decent veterans on PTOs and others whove been signed for dirt cheap, why would anyone give up assets for bottom 6ers that make over 2M?

We're stuck with em. THeres always a chance we could waive em, OR you bring back another contract in the deal.

The value many of the posters on this topic are giving to the Vets - I would keep them.

Unfortunately where the poster thinks the Vet is worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick other GM's would probably say 3rd, 4th or 5th round pick at best.

Remember the veteran players are veterans because they have been good enough to make the team and still may have more gas in the tank. Don't sell them short.

JB is between a rock an a hard place he is locked into play now ,I highly doubt we could peddle any verterans off anytime soon.The will be very little activity happening anytime soon.I would look seriously at trying to pick up Paille who is on tryout with the blackhawks if he is cut, as he could play with the Sedins very well send the kids back to jrs an bite the bullet let them develop.I think the market right now is at a low point for our cast off vets no need to panic ride out the storm for now.

JB is between a rock an a hard place he is locked into play now ,I highly doubt we could peddle any verterans off anytime soon.The will be very little activity happening anytime soon.I would look seriously at trying to pick up Paille who is on tryout with the blackhawks if he is cut, as he could play with the Sedins very well send the kids back to jrs an bite the bullet let them develop.I think the market right now is at a low point for our cast off vets no need to panic ride out the storm for now.

But the fans are jumping ship. The paying customers are fed up with the old, and want to see the young guys. It's not a rock and a hard place, it's a tight rope. IMHO

hamhuis for a 1st

vrbata for a 1st and 3rd

higgins for a 3rd

hansen for a 2nd

burrows for a 3rd retain a mill cap

gives us 3first rounders. two seconds 4 thirds some can be packaged to get us that stud 1-2 dman or first libe center

Imo,

Hamhuis = 1st + maybe another low draft pick

Vrbata = 1st (with last year's playoffs, don't think he'll get multiple picks)

Higgins + Hansen = 3rd each

Burrows = 4th unless we retain like 2M

Quite frankly I don't think our kids are good enough to replace 20 goals from Burrows or even 15 from Higgins just yet.

We're going to need to keep signing rental UFAs until someone steps up, because right now Jensen isn't doing anything, Shinkaruk can't score, Gaunce is just a big body really and Virtanen is the only one with some promise. Go figure, all our late 1st round picks are pretty useless compared to others around the league who are breaking into the NHL and contributing.

Firstly, who ever gets promoted to the big club will have to earn his stripes.

With the Emergence of Kenins/Gaunce/McCann/Shinkaruk/Virtanen/Grenier/Jensen and even Cole Cassels, all showing to be close to, if not already NHL ready players...

Is it time for Benning to make a move or two to open up some additional Roster spots?

Personally I feel like many of our "vets" could be replaced with cheaper, younger, more forward thinking options.

I want everyone to keep in mind that I am not saying I dislike any of these vets, just merely that from a business / development perspective that this year might be the year to part with some additional faces. I am also not suggesting we "peel the bandaid quick" and wipe all these folks off our roster right now - but based on what I am seeing it would be a disservice to these young players to not give them spaces they could potentially take.

Examples:

Hansen, probably worth a 2nd round draft pick if traded.

Replacements: Grenier / Gaunce

Burrows, Likely could garner a number of assets in return for him.

Replacements: Virtanen/Shinkaruk/Jensen/Kenins

Higgins, Likely could get us a 3rd/4th pick or a good young player from a team at the deadline

Replacements:Virtanen/Shinkaruk/Jensen

All three of these guys have been awesome warriors for the Vancouver Canucks, and I do see the benefit of having some vets around - but so often in the past we have wasted our drafted players by not giving them opportunities.

Based on my assumptions - I would think 1 or 2 of these guys will be gone at the deadline.

Burrows, Higgins and Hansen are players who will happily play up or down the line up, where ever they are needed. They are capable professionals and as such are more than useful in a transitioning team. These guys are going no where soon.

2016 trade deadline or slightly before:

Hamhuis (Edmonton would be a good fit)

Vrbata (Any contender)

Prust (Skilled contender looking for toughness depth)

Weber (Most teams like to add defence depth at deadline, the return won't be great but he should be easy to move)

Anything can happen, but I don't think Burrows will be moved this year (maybe next deadline). Conversely, I think Higgins will play the entire season with the Canucks, maybe before the draft or next season's deadline he'll get traded.

There has been lots of talk about moving Vrbata, Hamhuis or Prust as rentals at the trade deadline. I think that any are possible. Hamhuis is less likely simply because defense is the Canucks weak spot and unless there is a viable #3 D to replace him, I doubt he moves.

Nobody has suggested WEBER. His cap hit is only $1.5 so he may be relatively inconsequential but he is a useful player and may net a decent return at the right time. 2nd?

My thoughts...Chris Higgins - this year for sureDan Hamhuis - end of this year- but he is well respected so ? Retire ?Radin Vrbata - end of this year - he was always a bridge, so the kids could progressBrandon Prust - end of this year - he's a bridge - Is Virtanen tough enough?Ryan Miller - end of next year - he also is a bridge - can you say Demko?Jannik Hanson - will be traded for futures - he's the one who would have good market value - 2nd Round +The Sedins - will retire at the end 0f 2018 - by that time their style of play would be out of touch with 3rd or 4th line playersAlex Burrows - Will retire as a Canuck - he is the one vet who deserves to be part of this organization for life. Damn that man Sacrificed !!!The difficulty is a "simple fact" ... our vets never won the big one, they're marketability just isn't has high as the Canack fan base rates it.Reality is a Bitch... didn't a past Pope say that once?

Hamhuis.....retire???? He's 32! Which brings me to my next question...." Are you legally retarded?"

Are our guys really worth all that? Burrows still has years on his contract, so I don't see teams wanting him, period.

Strange I thought the reason why many felt Lack and Bieksa got not so great returns is because both were UFA's next season. So doesn't someone like Burrows who has 2 years left means his value is higher?

With the Emergence of Kenins/Gaunce/McCann/Shinkaruk/Virtanen/Grenier/Jensen and even Cole Cassels, all showing to be close to, if not already NHL ready players...

Is it time for Benning to make a move or two to open up some additional Roster spots?

Personally I feel like many of our "vets" could be replaced with cheaper, younger, more forward thinking options.

I want everyone to keep in mind that I am not saying I dislike any of these vets, just merely that from a business / development perspective that this year might be the year to part with some additional faces. I am also not suggesting we "peel the bandaid quick" and wipe all these folks off our roster right now - but based on what I am seeing it would be a disservice to these young players to not give them spaces they could potentially take.

Examples:

Hansen, probably worth a 2nd round draft pick if traded.

Replacements: Grenier / Gaunce

Burrows, Likely could garner a number of assets in return for him.

Replacements: Virtanen/Shinkaruk/Jensen/Kenins

Higgins, Likely could get us a 3rd/4th pick or a good young player from a team at the deadline

Replacements:Virtanen/Shinkaruk/Jensen

All three of these guys have been awesome warriors for the Vancouver Canucks, and I do see the benefit of having some vets around - but so often in the past we have wasted our drafted players by not giving them opportunities.

Based on my assumptions - I would think 1 or 2 of these guys will be gone at the deadline.

I think Benning plays the year out and sells big at the deadline if their position in the standings calls for it. The prospects could all use another year playing together in the ahl.

McCann and Jake are a different question given they would have to return to the WHL, etc. Not much more they can learn down there, I say keep both of them for at least 9 games.

I doubt Hamhuis will be moved. We jus don't have anyone to replace him with, except maybe Hutton.

I agree with this. Vrbata and Prust are good choices to move and perhaps one or two other vets, but Hamhuis is too vital to this team to move. I'd re-sign him.

You're right it doesn't make sense unless you look at it from his standpoint. He's a Gold Meddle Winner, A Champion... he's represented his country on numerous occasions.

He's been a stealer player for the Vancouver Canucks for years now, yet he has to endure the ridicule of disrespectful fans on a constant bases.

He should retire a Canuck, not be traded or ever considered ready for the trash heap!!

He's set, he's got money, a loving family and a life full of opportunities for the future.

Why shouldn't he bow out gracefully... even though the Canack Fan Base thinks "Grace" is a waitress!!

His perspective is more likely to be something more like "I'm 32 and still very good at my role why not keep making millions and millions doing what I love?".

I dont think he takes much disrespect from the fan base. Hes well liked and respected. Far from dealing with disrespect and ridicule on a constant basis.

If he retired now he'd more than likely regret it, just like 99% of the sports players who retire at this stage of their careers. You play as long as you can, as long as you're still a top player, cause once you leave its gone forever and you cant get it back. There plenty of time after hes finished for real for him to live his life with his family, and he'll have tens of millions more to throw around when he does.

Archived