The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Benning part with more Vets?

Totes McGoats

How is Hansen worth a 2nd round pick? Your delusional! Don't forget he has a NTC, realistically he may be worth a 4th, if he's even willing to leave. Another question is, how do you get a team to trade a good young player, for an aging veteran past his prime? Every GM I'm sure would love to know how to pull that one off!

Hansen is easily worth a second round pick. If I'm another gm I'd love to have him on my team heading into the playoffs

If in were a top ten team I'd give a second and even a fourth to get him for the run

Some trades of forward vets might happen early, but only if some young players are too good to be sent down to either AHL or junior. Remember, the owners want to make the playoffs, as a first round would pay back some of the ~20 million they're losing from the drop in our dollar.

If we're obviously not going to make the playoffs, then and only then would Vrbata and Hamhuis be dangled.

His perspective is more likely to be something more like "I'm 32 and still very good at my role why not keep making millions and millions doing what I love?".

I dont think he takes much disrespect from the fan base. Hes well liked and respected. Far from dealing with disrespect and ridicule on a constant basis.

If he retired now he'd more than likely regret it, just like 99% of the sports players who retire at this stage of their careers. You play as long as you can, as long as you're still a top player, cause once you leave its gone forever and you cant get it back. There plenty of time after hes finished for real for him to live his life with his family, and he'll have tens of millions more to throw around when he does.

I'm so sorry for speculating in the wrong direction, how's this for a guess... The fans on this thread get their way.

Hamhuis is traded to Edmonton for Mac"Davy", a 1st round pic and $10m... and then our Man Dan gets a new contract at $1B a year, which of course he thanks you personally for.

We then trade the Macker back to Edmonton for the 2nd pick all of you seem to want!!!

Now does that help you with how... " hes' " going to handle 'h'i's' future!?!?!?

If things go really south for us this season, i would like to see the following get traded at the deadline.

Higgins & Hansen to contenders for 2nds

Vrbata to a mid 1st

Edler for a top 15 pick

Sbisa and Dorsett for an overpaid pending UFA defenceman lol

finish the season with

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Burrows

Beartschi - Sutter - Virtanen

Gaunce - Horvat - McCann

Kenins - Friesen - Grenier

Hamhuis - Tanev

Bartkowski - Corrado

Weber - Hutton

if that doesnt land us a lottery pick i dont know what will lol.

going to the draft we will have two 2nds, three 1sts which we could package together for Matthews :emot-parrot::P

:picard:

You're right it doesn't make sense unless you look at it from his standpoint. He's a Gold Meddle Winner, A Champion... he's represented his country on numerous occasions.

He's been a stealer player for the Vancouver Canucks for years now, yet he has to endure the ridicule of disrespectful fans on a constant bases.

He should retire a Canuck, not be traded or ever considered ready for the trash heap!!

He's set, he's got money, a loving family and a life full of opportunities for the future.

Why shouldn't he bow out gracefully... even though the Canack Fan Base thinks "Grace" is a waitress!!

:picard:

I hope next year looks like this

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen

Lucic-Horvat-Boesser

Gaunce-McCann-Sutter

Cassels-A.Mathews-Grenier

Edler-Tanev

Bartkowski-Stud UFA D

Pedan-Corrado

Subban

Gone. Higgins,Hansen,Burrows,Jensen,Vey,Baerschi,Hamhuis, Weber

Holy players playing in the wrong positions batman~!

He's a Gold Meddle Winner

He's been a stealer player

what a cum-back !!

Are children allowed on this forum? :sadno:

My Deepest and Sincerest Apology...

Medal

Stellar

I'll take my punishment now... pleaseeeee....

I Thank you for Your kind Attention...

and thank you again for Securing My Reservation in Hell!!

Well, it's now or never. Half of them should of been gone two years ago. Now they're virtually worthless to other teams.

New age teams are constantly infusing youth, the days of having gritty, veteran checking bottom six lines are coming to an end as the talent level in drafts rises.

Here I go, Mr. Negativity. :)

Benning will not trade vets to make room for "the future", he will move heaven and earth to make Utica a power house.

Because, then they can sell "hope" without ever having to gauge the players. It is way easier to tell the fans about prospects than to have the fans SEE the prospects and whether or not they are good enough.

I say this due in part to the enormous amount of attention placed upon Utica this last season and the prospects there.

This team isn't desperate for 3rd or 4th liners, indeed some players projected as top six players over the last few years are now marginal 3/4 line players, if on the team at all.

It is very rare that a player/prospect valued at a second round pick is a legitimate top six player and there aren't many deals where a Sequin/Thorton or Hamilton are dealt without sending back assets of value.

IMO, it appears that management feels trepidation that if they go to the full re-build and play more prospects fans will stop buying tickets because, just possibly, some of the prospects have been over hyped. Of course there is also the Edmonton experiment, young guns with less than top notch leadership so they don't want to saturate the team with too many rookies and then lose focus.

So in the meantime, the team will play vets hoping to just stay competitive enough that selling the game and the "hope" is enough vs other teams in the division to put bums in the seats.

They will/have started selling one game at a time, rather the a seasonal goal.

The other thing is that most threads now are concerned with how good prospects being sent down are or a particular player on the team. With few questioning where this team will fit vs other teams in just this division. What type of game are they going to play. Or is there an apparent plan for the next two seasons let alone what "may" happen in 5 years.

As to the question, yes, Benning should come clean and get as much as he can from SOME of the vets being traded, not all.

Never say in 25 words what you can say in 200 :)

Well, it's now or never. Half of them should of been gone two years ago. Now they're virtually worthless to other teams.

New age teams are constantly infusing youth, the days of having gritty, veteran checking bottom six lines are coming to an end as the talent level in drafts rises.

I agree to a point. Any youth in those roles has to play a hard game too. Plus, there is room for hard nosed vets, who will play for lesser dollars, more what the young player would make. Dorset a Prust are perfect for our current bottom six for now, because we don't have young guys ready for those roles.

I agree to a point. Any youth in those roles has to play a hard game too. Plus, there is room for hard nosed vets, who will play for lesser dollars, more what the young player would make. Dorset a Prust are perfect for our current bottom six for now, because we don't have young guys ready for those roles.

I'd argue that Gaunce and Grenier are ready to step up in their own right. But if Benning is adamant on them refining their pro game then we might not see most of our prospects in the NHL till they're 24-25...

It's the preseason and there playing the twins more then they played them vs Calgary in the playoffs. The coaching staff needs a lesson in ice time. Virtanen Gaunce Cassels Shinkaruk McCann should of all been playing 18-20 mins too truly see what they can do. How can you trade a vet when you dont give the young guy taking his spot any ice time.

I'd argue that Gaunce and Grenier are ready to step up in their own right. But if Benning is adamant on them refining their pro game then we might not see most of our prospects in the NHL till they're 24-25...

When do Dorset, Prust, Hansen, and ?Sutter become UFAs? Maybe that's when our young guys get to filter in one by one?

Archived