The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ORLY? US-Trained Syrian Rebels were Joining ISIS with weapons supplied by Washington - Putin

BanTSN

lol by that logic Venezuela and Canada must have also spent billions of $ training Islamic militants who later formed ISIS since Venezuela is #1 and Canada is 3rd in the world (right behind Saudi) for proven oil reserves.

Huh? I was saying that Saudi Arabia gets away with a lot because it supplies the West with so much oil.

As for reserves Canada's oil is of lesser quality and much harder to extract. No one really knows how much Saudi Arabia has. Venezuela is too anti west and politically unstable to get a lot of its oil out, which is also largely the more expensive tar sands like Canada.

In terms of oil that is ready to be pumped from the ground no matter the price, SA is the king.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/09/27/U-S-support-for-Syria-rebels-illegal-Putin-says-ahead-of-Obama-meeting.html

At least Obama admitted their actions, or misjudging of the ISIS threat in Syria and Iraq was a mistake. I'd would have thought potential neverending proxy war there, but I think Obama's just going to leave his rebel friends to the Russians.

I almost feel sorry for ISIS now, because they were stoked up by the Americans, who bailed, and now the Russians are going to wipe them out. Or at least try. What this will do is perhaps bring the 'war on terror' to new parts of the world.

America's showing a lot of weakness while PutinMania has been making waves in these past years. It's like the cold war all over again. Good times for the Military Industrial Complex. Even if America pulls out of Syria, they'll never be able to leave it alone completely, while the Russians pose a growing threat that needs to be addressed with some extreme military and security spending of sorts.

You feel sorry for ISIS? You feel for those who behead defenseless people with their arms tied behind their back? What a compassionate soul.

You'd like Saudi Arabia. That's a country of real charmers.

Russia has become a counterweight to the American agenda. The United States is the biggest threat to stability, by a country mile.

Stupid hairless apes making conflict for profit.

Russia has been fighting Western supported supported Islamic militants for at least 21 years now.

One the reasons that ISIS has been so militarily successful is that the core of their fighting forces consists of Chechens and other groups from the Russian Caucaus.

These guys are much better fighters and military leaders than most Middle Easterners.

Anyway I'm glad Russia is smoking them but at this early point their air campaign doesn't appear all that impressive for whatever reason, hopefully they'll be able to turn up the intensity in the coming weeks.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/syria-russia-says-air-strikes-last-three-four-months-accuses-us-pretending-bomb-isis-1522142?utm_campaign=%5Bfirstitemtitle%5D&utm_content=Oct_02_2015_0933_204196&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email&utm_term=Russia+accuses+US+of+%27pretending%27+to+bomb+Isis&tm_campaign=Oct_02_2015_0933&tm_keyword=Tbft0zmLXf0qkhcNw1QcNwn

Syria: Air strikes to last '3 to 4 months' as Russia accuses US of 'pretending' to bomb Isis

Russia's campaign of air strikes in Syria is set to last between three to four months and bombardments will intensify, a senior Russian lawmaker said on 2 October. The announcement comes a day after the US accused Russia of launching "indiscriminate military operations against the Syrian opposition".

"There is always a risk of getting bogged down but, in Moscow, they're talking about three to four months of operations," Alexei Pushkov, the head of the lower house of the Russian parliament's foreign affairs committee, told French radio station, Europe 1. He added that more than 2,500 air strikes in Syria by a US-led coalition against Islamic State (Isis) had yielded no results and was a pretence.

"I think it's the intensity that is important. The US-led coalition has pretended to bomb Daesh (IS) for a year, without results," Pushkov said. "If you do it in a more efficient way, I think you'll see results," he added.

Russian President Vladimir Putin is set to meet with his French counterpart in Paris on 2 October to discuss peace efforts in Ukraine, but the agenda is expected to be dwarfed by the Kremlin's recent entry into the Syria conflict. Like the US, France is hitting IS with air strikes, but there is growing concern that Russian targets are going beyond terrorist groups and are instead targeting anti-Assad groups, including the US-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA).

Speaking at the UN in New York on 1 October, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the country would also attack other terrorist groups, including al-Nusra Front (an al-Qaeda affiliate) and "other terrorist groups recognised by the UN Security Council or Russian law".

"If it looks like a terrorist, if it acts like a terrorist, if it walks like a terrorist, if it fights like a terrorist, it's a terrorist, right?" Lavrov responded when asked to define what constitutes "other terrorist groups".

Pushkov denied allegations that Russia was bombing Assad's opponents, saying: "The main target are the Daesh groups situated closest to Damascus. We need to eliminate this group or at least neutralise it and afterwards we'll see what Syria's future is."

Russia has also carried out air strikes on Raqqa, an IS stronghold and de facto capital, the country's defence ministry said on 2 October. "On 1 October, Su-34 planes carried out strikes on an IS training camp... and on a camouflaged command post... south west of the town of Raqqa," the ministry said. "As a result of the strikes, the IS command point was put out of action. The infrastructure used to train terrorists was completely destroyed."

Maybe the US was pretending to bomb ISIS because the US IS ISIS.

Really? In what way? Any evidence of this?

The US is spending billions of dollars a year bombing ISIS right now. Although their misguided foreign policy certainly led to the conditions that allowed ISIS to flourish, I don't see any evidence that they are purposely and actively supporting ISIS.

lol. Read up on it from truthful and honest sources. It's clear as can be. War is a shady business. The U.S. are the biggest terrorists of them all. Funny how us (NA) view the U.S. as protectors and heroes when the rest of the world view the States as the biggest threat globally. Not a coincidence. Do enough searching and not the bias mainstream western media and you'll see for yourself.

http://youtu.be/OQuceU3x2Ww

lol. Read up on it from truthful and honest sources. It's clear as can be. War is a shady business. The U.S. are the biggest terrorists of them all. Funny how us (NA) view the U.S. as protectors and heroes when the rest of the world view the States as the biggest threat globally. Not a coincidence. Do enough searching and not the bias mainstream western media and you'll see for yourself.

http://youtu.be/OQuceU3x2Ww

It's bizarre how black and white you guys see this. It's like your unable to grasp that group like ISIS requires a vast multitude of circumstances to arise. Instead it's just easier to say things like "US=ISIS".

It's bizarre how black and white you guys see this. It's like your unable to grasp that group like ISIS requires a vast multitude of circumstances to arise. Instead it's just easier to say things like "US=ISIS".

Arab Spring afforded an opportunity to shake it up and they took it. Result = Refugee crisis & Isis. Is that all on the US? Probably not. Are they totally innocent? Probably not.

For now it looks like Assad will remain in power and Russia gets to come in like a Zamboni.

Will Syrians get their country back? Hopefully. But rebuilding will take some time.

Canada's involvement, meanwhile, should cease. Hopefully it does, and hopefully Harper's party is destroyed because I'm tired of all the neocon warmongering and bs. We can appease the religious right here by pretending Russia's an enemy again.

Arab Spring afforded an opportunity to shake it up and they took it. Result = Refugee crisis & Isis. Is that all on the US? Probably not. Are they totally innocent? Probably not.

For now it looks like Assad will remain in power and Russia gets to come in like a Zamboni.

Will Syrians get their country back? Hopefully. But rebuilding will take some time.

Canada's involvement, meanwhile, should cease. Hopefully it does, and hopefully Harper's party is destroyed because I'm tired of all the neocon warmongering and bs. We can appease the religious right here by pretending Russia's an enemy again.

Canada's involvement in Syria ceased a long time ago. Canada participated in a whopping 4 air strikes in Syria, total:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2204836/isis-mission-reality-check-canada-has-participated-in-4-airstrikes-over-syria/

I'm also curious to who you are giving Syria back to? By giving Syrians back their country, you actually mean reinstalling a Russian backed Alawite dictator over a majority Sunni/Kurdish population that wants nothing to do with Assad.

Lol. It's easier to believe something than it is to understand it.

Canada's involvement in Syria ceased a long time ago. Canada participated in a whopping 4 air strikes in Syria, total:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2204836/isis-mission-reality-check-canada-has-participated-in-4-airstrikes-over-syria/

I'm also curious to who you are giving Syria back to? By giving Syrians back their country, you actually mean reinstalling a Russian backed Alawite dictator over a majority Sunni/Kurdish population that wants nothing to do with Assad.

Our efforts against Isis have been largely useless it would seem. Perhaps the government should stop BSing us.

taxi, I don't even take you seriously anymore. You make me laugh, and for that I must thank you. :lol:

The crisis in Syria was exhibit A. Paul called a no-fly zone over the country, an idea floated by several Republican presidential candidates and by Democratic front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton, a "terrible idea" that could "lead to World War III" if anyone was stupid enough to follow through.

"That's drawing a red line in the sky," Paul said. Once you draw a red line, and people cross it, what happens? Now we're talking about an incident that could lead to World War III. We went 70 years having open channels of communication with the Russians, trying to avoid having one side shoot down the opposite side's plane. I think the people who call for a no-fly zone are naive. Right now, Russia's actually being invited by two of the neighboring countries, by Iraq and Syria. We're going to say we're going to stop Russia from flying in the area when two of the countries being flown over have invited that country in? This gets back to whether we want to diplomatically isolate ourselves, or whether we want to diplomatically engage."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/07/rand-paul-no-fly-zone-in-syria-could-lead-to-world-war-iii/

wow a US politician actually talking some sense, amazing.

Laws are in place for a reason and Russia is abiding by international law in this instance . US expects others to follow the law, but shows utter disregard for it whenever it so pleases.

I'm just worried about Russian planes "accidentally on-purpose" crossing into Turkey.... a NATO ally.

Perhaps some pilots "dueling" a la opening scene in Top Gun. Perhaps Russian plane going down across Turkey borders, maybe shot down by terrorists but maybe RADAR lock-on by Turkish/Coalition forces, etc.

Potentially WW3 type scenario.

taxi, I don't even take you seriously anymore. You make me laugh, and for that I must thank you. :lol:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/07/rand-paul-no-fly-zone-in-syria-could-lead-to-world-war-iii/

wow a US politician actually talking some sense, amazing.

Laws are in place for a reason and Russia is abiding by international law in this instance . US expects others to follow the law, but shows utter disregard for it whenever it so pleases.

Invitation by Assad is the only thing that separates a moral/legal act from an immoral/illegal one? What a backwards world.

Even though Assad is a dictator, Syria was the only county in the middle east (besides Isreal) where Westerners could go with little trouble. The middle east will always need dictators to keep the countries in check. Just ask saudi arabia and bahrain, American allies...

Even though Assad is a dictator, Syria was the only county in the middle east (besides Isreal) where Westerners could go with little trouble. The middle east will always need dictators to keep the countries in check. Just ask saudi arabia and bahrain, American allies...

That's not true.

There are many countries in the middle east you can visit. Syria was hardly a tourism hot spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived