The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Looks Better With Every Passing Day

guntrix

You specifically mentioned the Canucks drafting being terrible even before Gillis arrived, mentioning past draftees directly addresses & refutes your point.

I will also tell you what many others already have...Gillis didn't draft McCann. Your very first statement to support your position is completely & utterly false.

Since it's obvious you have access to the internet & could have easily looked up that information, I'm now stuck trying to decide if you're willfully ignorant or just really, really dumb.

Oh, & the Canucks went to the final a couple years ago, with 6 of those players I mentioned on the roster...yeah, I'm gonna go with the dumb option.

You went back 40 years to try to disprove my statement that drafting pre-Gillis was bad. That's extremely excessive and other posters have gone to point that out. It's so excessive in fact, that it rounds out to about .5 players/year... pretty much supporting the opposite of what you wanted to prove.

I've "divulged" repeatedly in numerous Gillis threads. It's been beaten to death already. But just for you....

• A 2nd for Vey made complete sense. Speeds up the rebuild as you don't have to wait the 3 or 4 years of development that 2nd would need to get where Vey already is. When you consider a 2nd rounder has less than a 30% chance of playing 100 nhl games and less than a 25% chance of playing more than 200, a 2nd for a guy that's gone through the development and had success is the much smarter gamble.
  • Dorsett's deal is pricey but I believe it's worth it.
  • Sbisa is a young d-man. Had he signed for less it would have been a one year deal. You want a longer term with a young player it's typical to overpay in the first year with the idea he'll be a bargain by the final year.
  • Kassian had no value. Years of development with no defensive game or consistency to his play. Add in stupid selfish penalties and crying to the press about being scratched = good riddance. Prust may not have the offensive upside but at least he brings a consistent effort. Dumping Kassian opened a top 9 spot for another young player.
  • MG dragged his feet on Kesler for a year. A pissed off Kesler gave us one trade option. You get what you can in that circumstance and get the disgruntled player out. MG should have learned that from the Luongo fiasco and didn't.
  • I see Sutter as an upgrade on Bonino. I can't understand why anybody would be upset by it.
  • Trading Lack made complete sense to me and I said so before the trade happened, I see Lack as a very good backup or average (at best) starter. Miller had to learn a new system of goaltending last year which the majority here ignore. That's something I also pointed out many times last year. Throughout his career he has come out to cut angles, Here he needed to learn to play in the paint. Anytime you change style like that there will a drop before the benefits show. On top of that I felt the team played far more confident (taking more offensive risks) with Miller in net than with Lack. With the year Markstrom had, and Lack was Markstroms backup in Sweden despite being two years older, I saw Lack as expendable. It made sense to keep the veteran and bring Markstrom up.

- It "made" sense but it hasn't panned out. What's more, people got excited about JB simply because he promised to use our draft picks to actually draft and he's done the opposite. Ironic, eh?

- "I believe he's worth it" is a concrete argument alright. He's simply not worth it and you know it.

- Who cares if Sbisa is young? Age is irrelevant when the said dman is consistently one of your worst. Call me psychic but I predict that users will once again gang up on Sbisa this year because of his boneheaded plays and questionable decisions.

- It's true that Kassian had little value but to trade him for a 31 y/o with a 29 point season best is definitely questionable, as much as Canucks fans want to deny it. Sure it brings toughness but we've basically traded away a player with upside for an old rental.

- As for Kesler, you might have an argument, but the truth is that CDC does not have the whole story. What's better than to blame the whole thing on MG, right?

- I really hated Bonino and was one of the posters who kept insisting that he's not a second line player. With that said, Sutter is horrible in advanced stats and puts up even less points than Bonino. Lo and behold, goals are exactly the thing we're struggling with so far. I don't think Sutter is gonna help us with that unfortunately.

- Miller is a goalie that's clearly on the downturn while Lack was the opposite. If Miller keeps playing the way he has into the regular season, you better hope that Markstrom picks up the slack. I, for one, am not willing to put my eggs Markstrom's basket just yet.

Gillis sucked after 2010, Benning is cleaning/cleaned up the mess Gillis left here with all those no trade clauses. Benning drafted Virtanen, McCann, and Boeser who will be studs in this league, so glad Mike Gillis isn't here anymore. Jim Benning works year round, didnt take fishing trips in summer like Gillis, instead Benning was scouting, looks like it's paying off (McCann, Virtanen) in his short time here so far. If Sven Baertschi and Brandon Sutter have good seasons Benning will look even better.

Gillis is still looking like a GM that had burned out and left his good decisions far, far behind him.

Gillis was a good guy for the job at the time, he traded the future for current affordable talent and a shot at the cup, a couple of Pres trophies, a handful of div titles, etc. A pretty successful run there.

He obviously could not manage personalities, his own included. Seriously, who names their back-up next years starter while your $10m starter is still on the team?! That was one of the worst moves in GM history, of coarse you're gonna get nothing back now, derp.

Gillis is still looking like he should've been fired a year sooner. But he did bring us some good years that we get to look back on with pride.

Gillis is still looking like a GM that had burned out and left his good decisions far, far behind him.

Gillis was a good guy for the job at the time, he traded the future for current affordable talent and a shot at the cup, a couple of Pres trophies, a handful of div titles, etc. A pretty successful run there.

He obviously could not manage personalities, his own included. Seriously, who names their back-up next years starter while your $10m starter is still on the team?! That was one of the worst moves in GM history, of coarse you're gonna get nothing back now, derp.

Gillis is still looking like he should've been fired a year sooner. But he did bring us some good years that we get to look back on with pride.

The Horvat trade was a beauty though, Horvat is 20 years old and he already plays like a Vet.

Yeah Mike gillis' genious strategy of handing out NTCs like candy sure are paying dividends. How about the goalie controversy?

I give credits to the scouts, gillis was a crap gm.

Our scouts have always been pretty crappy tbd and this is something that MG focused on turning around.

And we also had a mini goalie controversy just a while ago. Both situations ended up with the Canucks getting less than what they arguably deserved except JB's trade didn't last as long.

The Horvat trade was a beauty though, Horvat is 20 years old and he already plays like a Vet.

I guess if you get drunk and start throwing darts blindfolded, eventually you'll fluke out and hit a bull or triple 20....

Yes, Horvat was a beauty pick / trade, Hutton, Subban, Gaunce and Shink ain't so bad either, but he sure crapped the bed on a few occasions. And I'm not talking little poops either, huge messy bear dumps during salmon season poops.

You've now changed the topic of your post from Canucks drafting to trading....I like how you put 'Kesler for Bonino and pieces...One of those pieces happens to be Jared McCann...If he keeps heading on the trajectory he's on,that trade will tilt in Vancouvers favour.

Cue the oncoming list of Gillis blunders...

Just rumour, the Ducks were rumoured to have offered Gillis No. 10, Rackell and another young player. Owner stepped in and said we're not trading trading Kesler, but Gillis is believed to have had that deal done.

Yeah Mike gillis' genious strategy of handing out NTCs like candy sure are paying dividends. How about the goalie controversy?

I give credits to the scouts, gillis was a crap gm.

Well it did get them to the finals and have them competing for four or five years. If you don't do NTCs you're likely paying 15-20% more for players. So chances are, those teams aren't in tact without NTCs.

• Trading Lack made complete sense to me and I said so before the trade happened, I see Lack as a very good backup or average (at best) starter. Miller had to learn a new system of goaltending last year which the majority here ignore. That's something I also pointed out many times last year. Throughout his career he has come out to cut angles, Here he needed to learn to play in the paint. Anytime you change style like that there will a drop before the benefits show. On top of that I felt the team played far more confident (taking more offensive risks) with Miller in net than with Lack. With the year Markstrom had, and Lack was Markstroms backup in Sweden despite being two years older, I saw Lack as expendable. It made sense to keep the veteran and bring Markstrom up.

Note to goaltending coach: if the new system doesn't work, go back to the system that worked! Try it now!

Just rumour, the Ducks were rumoured to have offered Gillis No. 10, Rackell and another young player. Owner stepped in and said we're not trading trading Kesler, but Gillis is believed to have had that deal done.

That could possibly be true....by the time Benning came to do the deal,Keslers suitors had gone from three teams down to only one...If there was indeed a 10th overall,Im sure it was off the table second time around...You can't blame Benning for that (It was also Gillis' trainwreck that made Kesler want to leave)...

Archived