The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Looks Better With Every Passing Day

guntrix

Regarding Vey

Vey has 24 points in 75 games last season and a -3. Benning might have wasted a 2nd away but that's not a sure thing yet and Vey could still turn around. Plus it wasn't even the team's original's 2nd but the one Vancouver got from Tampa by Trading Garrison.

If you are going to compare someone that gave up picks why not Gillis trade for Ballard or Derek Roy?

Keith Ballard in Vancouer 17 points in 165 games and a was a total +1

Derek Roy in Vancouver 7 point in 16 games and was a +/- 0

Gillis gave up more for both of them than Benning for Vey.

Regarding Vey

Vey has 24 points in 75 games last season and a -3. Benning might have wasted a 2nd away but that's not a sure thing yet and Vey could still turn around. Plus it wasn't even the team's original's 2nd but the one Vancouver got from Tampa by Trading Garrison.

If you are going to compare someone that gave up picks why not Gillis trade for Ballard or Derek Roy?

Keith Ballard in Vancouer 17 points in 165 games and a was a total +1

Derek Roy in Vancouver 7 point in 16 games and was a +/- 0

Gillis gave up more for both of them than Benning for Vey.

No one wants vey. I rather have Gaunce or McCann in the line up. He's ok as an extra guy but he's small and weak. Bad at faceoffs.

Thought this was a thread-worthy post.

With McCann looking like a very good prospect and Markstrom looking real damn good today, I'm starting to think that GMMG maybe didn't get out GM'd.

And this isn't all of it.

Of course, we hated Gillis for trading Schneider (one of the up and coming goalies in the league) for a #9 pick but he went on and picked BoHo.

We questioned Gillis's drafting at times but he's drafted steals with Hutton, Subban and Cassels to go along with his solid early round draft picks in Shink and Gaunce.

The rebuild is looking more likely all because of MG's moves, not JB's. In fact, JB's trades leave a lot to be desired. And while I don't want to judge his drafting yet, I'm also having my doubts.

Gillis was the Canucks GM I liked the best but he had his shortcomings. He drafted better than he gets credit for. Hodgson, Schroeder and Jensen were busts but he did some great work getting Bo, Shink, cassels, Gaunce and Hutton. He made some good trades and some not so good trades and overall he built the best team the Organization ever saw.

GMMG's biggest mistake was not stepping in when Lack started the Outdoor game instead of Luongo... Two careers killed with one stone.

They were already trying to trade him at that point and Lou had wanted out from before the draft. His mistake in this regards was long before when he traded a happy tender who wanted to be a Canuck and not a disgruntled one that wanted out.

I just want to also say that Gillis has proven to me NOT to use a "moneyball" strategy.

Do you get gems out of it? Sure you do, but you get a lot of dirt as well...

Yup. The biggest criticism I can offer, besides the Torts and Luongo situations, is not landing a star. His strategy got us Tanev, and that's great. But we needed a real top 6 offensive player. Not a bunch of projects.

Thought this was a thread-worthy post.

With McCann looking like a very good prospect and Markstrom looking real damn good today, I'm starting to think that GMMG maybe didn't get out GM'd.

And this isn't all of it.

Of course, we hated Gillis for trading Schneider (one of the up and coming goalies in the league) for a #9 pick but he went on and picked BoHo.

We questioned Gillis's drafting at times but he's drafted steals with Hutton, Subban and Cassels to go along with his solid early round draft picks in Shink and Gaunce.

The rebuild is looking more likely all because of MG's moves, not JB's. In fact, JB's trades leave a lot to be desired. And while I don't want to judge his drafting yet, I'm also having my doubts.

Do the words "John Tortorella" mean anything to you? It takes at least five to eight years to judge a GM (if they are given that long) as that is how long their moves, their drafts and their mistakes really start to show the trend of direction. Coach selection is also part of that puzzle. AV was, and is, a great coach and wasn't the problem Vancouver had and that mistake was a huge one for Gillis. He made some good moves for sure, all GMs make good and bad moves, but his time was up given it was very clear he didn't know what to do next.

Give Linden and Benning a couple of seasons - this is clearly a transition time for the Canucks, and then judge. If the Canucks can play .500 this year AND develop two or three players they may be back in playoff hunt as soon as next year. Very few teams doing a rejig can turn things around so quickly (look at how long it is taking Edmonton, Phoenix, even Calgary) and it looks at least there is promise Vancouver might be one of those exceptions.

Because of the Luongo fiasco ? or because he just doesn't give a crap and wants to go Fishing :).

His last moves (ie. telling the fans they're either with him or against him) were unprofessional enough to create a lot of problems for him going forward if you think about it. Simply put, his un-professionalism in the end I think would ultimately hurt him getting another job, no matter how one views his transactions and success.

Teaching Law at UVic.

But I know, you mean a real job.

The Canucks are still paying him to do nothing. To me that's a really good job.

He might have a non-compete type clause which stipulates as long as he is getting paid by the Canucks he can't work for another NHL team (or if he chooses to work for another NHL team the Canucks don't have to pay him).

Archived