The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzie on TSN1040 talks about Canucks, Expansion

Baer.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/mckenzie-hutton-a-pleasant-surprise-for-canucks-1.368651

McCann:

-Thinks Canucks should give him a shot with 9 games, go from there

-Unimpressive play by Vey may open a spot

-Talented, gifted, but could get stronger

Hutton:

-Maturity

-Has size and mobility, does good job of getting the puck out

-Can't imagine he doesn't get a chance unless he bottoms out against tough competition

Expansion:

-No decisions will be made today

-Presentations were made today

-Might have a clearer picture in December

-Would be surprised if they don't add a team

-2 teams? Not necessarily

-Las Vegas more likely

-Seattle not ready

-No obligations to balance Divisions, Conferences

-Mentioned NHL would be only "Big 4" pro sport in Las Vegas

Seabrook Signing:

-Thinks he's worth the money

-Mentions the 8 years, in 2022 Chicago will look like a seniors' home (lol)

-Could be a problem, but mentioned being a contender for that long would be worth it, keep the dynasty going

Patrick Kane Allegations:

- didn't touch too many points, but mentioned the sooner it's over the better

-questioned whether Kane should have attended training camp

The Kane situation really is unfortunate..if he did it then he's a terrible person but if he didn't his reputation is somewhat tarnished. Anyhow, I still don't like that LV could get a team. That's just my opinion though.

You don't like that Linden Vey could get a team??

The Kane situation really is unfortunate..if he did it then he's a terrible person but if he didn't his reputation is somewhat tarnished. Anyhow, I still don't like that LV could get a team. That's just my opinion though.

Let's be clear about one thing, it is not possible to tarnish an already suspect reputation in Kane's case.

He's a great 13th forward, why would they end that?

There's other people more deserving to have that 13th spot.

IMO the lineup should look something like this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Sutter Vrbata

Gaunce Horvat Hansen

Prust McCann Dorsett

Kenins (13th forward)

Carry 8 Dmen:

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Sbisa

Bartkowski Hutton

Corrado/Weber as extras

There is no evidence that Kane and that girl even had sex, let alone whether it was consensual. There isn't even enough evidence to consider pressing charges at this point. And now we know the accuser is willing to blatantly lie to concoct evidence to support their side.

All signs point to somebody simply trying to extort money from Kane. All signs point to HIM being the victim here. I think when the smoke clears, he won't have suffered much reputation-wise. In fact, I could see the reverse happening, in people feeling sorry for him for having to deal with this when he was innocent.

The fact that people are still questioning if he should have been at camp is ridiculous.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Sutter Vrbata

Gaunce Horvat Hansen

Prust McCann Dorsett

Kenins (13th forward)

Carry 8 Dmen:

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Sbisa

Bartkowski Hutton

Corrado/Weber as extras

I agree with you in a short term context. He's earned a spot on the roster. Is it best?

Will Hutton play a lot of minutes on his off side as 6th D as you have him slotted? Is it good for Corrado's development to sit in the press box? Will Hutton even play 6th D, or will he sit? And is that good for his development, any of these scenario's, compared to playing top minutes in Utica...

Short term, the best idea is to send him to Utica. To max the development of him and others in their situations. If JB is serious about making room when a guy earns it?

Trade Sbisa or Hamhuis to make space!

Secondary discussion: I noticed no Jake in your line up? Would he not help the Canucks more at this stage than Hutton? Who would be in a logjam with Bart, Sbisa and himself for the 3rd LHD any night?

I thought Vey looked decent with Baertschi and Vrbata... but wouldn't you want a more proven guy there?

He's good at using the dmen, and the effort is there--but he sucks at playing when he's gassed.

Vey is definitely not bad. I like him but I just feel like McCann has outplayed him for the 4th C spot for at least the first 9 games of the season. Things will be easier if somebody gets injured in the next two days, but right now the Canucks should be giving guys like Virtanen and McCann geninue NHL experience before sending them back. Both guys deserve it. As does Hutton, although he's probably the first call up unless there's either a trade or somebody is sent down (again, I doubt Sbisa would get claimed if sent down).

That's my two cents.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Sutter Vrbata

Gaunce Horvat Hansen

Prust McCann Dorsett

Kenins (13th forward)

Carry 8 Dmen:

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Sbisa

Bartkowski Hutton

Corrado/Weber as extras

Kenins is better off playing lots in Utica. He also can't play (albeit mediocre) C in a pinch like Vey. He's also not subject to waivers (yet).

Frankly Kenins hasn't done anything more than Vey to earn that spot this preseason (and that's coming from a huge Kenins proponent). Even without all the caveats in my first paragraph.

Vey will also be needed when we need RW depth after moving Vrbata.

Vey is definitely not bad. I like him but I just feel like McCann has outplayed him for the 4th C spot for at least the first 9 games of the season. Things will be easier if somebody gets injured in the next two days, but right now the Canucks should be giving guys like Virtanen and McCann geninue NHL experience before sending them back. Both guys deserve it. As does Hutton, although he's probably the first call up unless there's either a trade or somebody is sent down (again, I doubt Sbisa would get claimed if sent down).

That's my two cents.

I agree, especially since Sutter showed some signs of life in the 3rd period last game. I was starting to think we should split up Prust and Dorsett, play Sutter with one of them, and put Vey with more offensive guys--but McCann has been too good to ignore.

It's funny that many didn't recognize the nice two little passed Vey made in the 3rd period last night because they didn't result in goals. They did result in decent scoring chances though.

It's fair to be critical. It's not fair to overlook when he does things well.

Yeah I actually think he did some good things offensively. He also does a good job of passing to a defenseman after a turnover, allowing for a safe transition. He does the simple things people don't notice; McCann has just been more dynamic.

It took me awhile to realize McCann was playing on his offwing, because he made smart passes in the neutral zone--making for quick transitions and maximizing possession time in the offensive zone. He's obviously more comfortable at center, but he simply does not look like a rookie.

I was thinking Vey might fit better at 4C because he plays a simple game, but McCann is capable of that too. Vey just seems more effective in an offensive role, and that does not seem available.

I don't think it was a mistake to trade for a guy further along in development; McCann has just developed quicker than we thought. It's a good problem to have.

I'm all in favour of having Vey as the 13th forward until Higgins gets back. Buy some time.

Archived