The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason performances: reality vs business of what starting roster should be

TheRussianRocket.

I don't think Virtanen has earned a spot. He's looked lost out there. He's chasing hits and taking rookie penalties. The fact that the Canucks have to choose to either keep him up, or send him to junior is the deciding factor. Because of this I think he'll make the team. Not saying he doesn't have tons of skill and he's probably gonna end up being a key player for us. Just from the preseason games he has played he hasn't impressed me as much as guys like McCann, gaunce or Hutton. I hope he settles down and gains some confidence because he can hit, and he has a top notch shot which the Canucks need.

I don't think Virtanen has earned a spot. He's looked lost out there. He's chasing hits and taking rookie penalties. The fact that the Canucks have to choose to either keep him up, or send him to junior is the deciding factor. Because of this I think he'll make the team. Not saying he doesn't have tons of skill and he's probably gonna end up being a key player for us. Just from the preseason games he has played he hasn't impressed me as much as guys like McCann, gaunce or Hutton. I hope he settles down and gains some confidence because he can hit, and he has a top notch shot which the Canucks need.

I hate to say it but if it comes down to McCann vs Virtanen. McCann probably loses, fair or not.

The size issue is hard to ignore but the thing that might seal Jared's fate is that he has a much better Jr. team to go back to. He'll continue to develop in Jr.

I'm not sure the Canucks feel the same about Virtanen/the Hitmen and at this point this is just as much about their development as who has 'earned' it.

I hate to say it but if it comes down to McCann vs Virtanen. McCann probably loses, fair or not.

The size issue is hard to ignore but the thing that might seal Jared's fate is that he has a much better Jr. team to go back to. He'll continue to develop in Jr.

I'm not sure the Canucks feel the same about Virtanen/the Hitmen and at this point this is just as much about their development as who has 'earned' it.

I mentioned that in another thread.......McCaan would be going back as the #1 guy on one of the best Jr franchises in the country, with a legit shot at a Mem Cup run. I don't see that, at all in Calgary, despite their run last year.

Well what do you want in the preseason? The same starting lineup as the team that ended last season for ALL pre-season games? The reason why the younger players look better than the veterans right now is playing time. They are auditioning for some of the limited roles available.

It's not that hard to understand. Instead plenty of folks on here are running around like headless chooks making preposterous claims based off a few preseason starts against AHL quality competition.

Quit using the crutch of 'well if players are deserving of a spot, we will make one available' line as some end all be all. There was never any mention of a time frame placed on this statement.

I mentioned that in another thread.......McCaan would be going back as the #1 guy on one of the best Jr franchises in the country, with a legit shot at a Mem Cup run. I don't see that, at all in Calgary, despite their run last year.

He also doesn't have Virt's size which can be a crutch in Jr.

McCann would still have to PLAY for his success. Virtanen could coast, physically dominating boys and developing bad habits....not good.

While I agree with most points you made, I still don't think a sudden infusion of most of our top prospects is the best bet. Although I still need to see the rest of pre-season played out.

Don't get me wrong I want to see McCann, Gaunce, Hutton and Grenier in the lineup ASAP. These games just have me itching to see them in the regular season, but it's just not realistic.

I think you have to walk the line of slowly infusing them as there mentally AND physically able to handle the 82 game workload, including those crucial emotional ups and downs. Most of these kids have never had this amount of pressure, and accountability. It's easy to want them now when there riding a confidence, and adrenaline wave but when they crash. Is the best place for that in Vancouver? Where your every move and play is broken down and analyzed, and picked apart. I don't think so, because at the end of the day, their kids and this is a business.

Quit using the crutch of 'well if players are deserving of a spot, we will make one available' line as some end all be all. There was never any mention of a time frame placed on this statement.

:blink:

JB said that himself. And the time frame is in the statement itself. If a players ready, he'll make room for them to play lol

Yes get that with Hutton/Gaunce but more so for guys like McCann/Jake who either make it or go back to junior. They've played well so will be interesting to see if management live up to their words.

For sure. They've got tough decisions to make, particularly when Higgins gets back.

Thing about the preseason is it's the preseason. You have to take what happens with a grain of salt. Roster decisions are never going to be based entirely on who played the best in these kind of games. Track records rightly come into play with the vets and asset management, player development, etc. are going to affect who stays up and who goes down. All you can hope for is a reasonable mix of these criteria in management's decisions. We should be glad that there are prospects in the system making those decisions difficult. The glass is 2/3 full.

Archived