The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason performances: reality vs business of what starting roster should be

TheRussianRocket.

Yes they are giving him some looks because his play has earned it but he'll likely be in the next wave of roster cuts.

Why not? Because it would be at the expense of McCann/Gaunce which would be taking steps backwards and essentially going against the new direction.

Meh... McCann's shown he deserves a look but is 4C the best spot for him?

Cracknell's the only guy who's looked especially good between Prust and Dorsett IMO and may very well be our 4C when things shake out.

Virtanen might make the club splitting time with Prust and getting a LOT of coaching and one of Gaunce/McCann will likely get a cup of coffee while Higgins is out (likely Mccann as he's earned it and Gaunce can be easily recalled). I'm not convinced either should be playing 4C though over Cracknell.

Meh... McCann's shown he deserves a look but is 4C the best spot for him?

Cracknell's the only guy who's looked especially good between Prust and Dorsett IMO and may very well be our 4C when things shake out.

Virtanen might make the club splitting time with Prust and getting a LOT of coaching and one of Gaunce/McCann will likely get a cup of coffee while Higgins is out (likely Mccann as he's earned it and Gaunce can be easily recalled). I'm not convinced either should be playing 4C though over Cracknell.

That's a huge misconception people all have lol. Same thing was said last year about Bo starting out on the 4th. Gotta start somewhere.

And like I said, 4th line with WD is different from 4th line with any other team. 4th line here means 12 minutes a night which is really 3rd line minutes. So for people who keep saying this, yes, 3rd line minutes on the 4th line would be a great spot for McCann. Don't know how much more time anyone would want him to start off with because clearly that would be rushing him lol.

I don't entirely disagree but McCann is not Horvat and he might be better served in Jr. It's going to be a tough call and nowhere near as cut and dry as you're making it out.

I'm merely asking a question, not making a declaration. As I say, McCann's earned a look but Cracknell may very well be a better fit for 4C. And that's no slight on McCann's performance.

I'd agree with JR, McCann's talents would be somewhat wasted playing between Prust/Dorsett. If they're determined to go with them as a 'classic' 4th line, I prefer Cracknell there.

Another option, not that I think it would realistically happen, would be to try Sutter there. Overpaid sure, but they would play regular minutes and be one of the best, if not the best, 4th in the league.

Something like

Baer-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins/Gaunce-McCann-Hansen

Prust-Sutter-Dorsett

tbh as much as I've been impressed by McCann, I have trouble figuring how he fits with the lineup as currently constructed. Makes more sense to have Sutter on the 3rd and Cracknell on the 4th. Maybe that's why they were trying him at wing, so he could stick around splitting duties with Baer during early season lineup blenders until one of them sticks somewhere?

I'd also put the disclaimer that I have no idea how Cracknell does on draws, but the rest of his game looks well suited to the 4th.

pre-season is fuuuuuuuuun

There's not a lot of room on this hockey team. If what Benning said about making room for guys who deserve it is real talk and not just the right thing to say, I'd think Hutton is the guy he's referring to. It's easy for young guys to out-perform the vets in the preseason. There's two different mindsets there. Our top 4 D are set. After that I'd say it's Hutton, Weber (almost a special teams only guy), Biega, Bartowski/Corrado. I really like Biega. I thought he was really relialbe during his call-up last season. Corrado seems to be imploding.

McCann has been good, but we are an average team that most people see as sellers by the deadline. Even if we have a repeat of last season, I'd rather see McCann be a go-to guy and a leader on a good team in the OHL where he can work on his skill, and get a year older. That said, if it came down to Virtanen or McCann on the team this year, I think McCann can have more of an impact game in and game out in the role he'd be given. I think a big thing is we have no one to play with Virtanen.

I don't see how Vrbata is expendable. None of the young guys have shown any game breaking capability this year. They have some skill, but they are not guys who will come in to the league and score 20+ goals as a rookie. We need all the goals we can get. We need experienced vets like Burr, Hansen, or Higgins. For me, it's the other young guys that have to worry about being passed over: Vey and Baerstchi. These guys have a year to prove they are a better option than the guys coming up. We have replacements for Hansen, Burrows, and Higgins in the system.

Vey is the easy target, but for me Baerstchi has been the most disapointing player this pre-season. He hasn't shown any long-term top-6 potential. He's never been a full-time NHL'er and I don't know if he will be. I expect him to be the most hated guy by mid-season here.

Gaunce is a call up, then Kenins. I think Shink and Grenier are probably other guys that can fill in on those bottom 6 roles and push those guys, but we are still thin on true top 6 guys. We're not a skilled team. We've spent most games pinned in our own end, or trying to get the dump & chase and cycle going.

I think we stick to the plan. Junior, AHL, then NHL. Let Horvat be an exception, and not the norm.

Virtanen, McCann. Great pieces to have. We'll need more if we want to win the cup. A lot more. And we DO want to win the cup, right?

Cheers.

Matthews for example? :lol:

At least in terms of centermen we'd be pretty good with Sedin, Matthews, McCann, Horvat plus Sutter scratched :P

I'd agree with JR, McCann's talents would be somewhat wasted playing between Prust/Dorsett. If they're determined to go with them as a 'classic' 4th line, I prefer Cracknell there.

Another option, not that I think it would realistically happen, would be to try Sutter there. Overpaid sure, but they would play regular minutes and be one of the best, if not the best, 4th in the league.

Something like

Baer-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins/Gaunce-McCann-Hansen

Prust-Sutter-Dorsett

tbh as much as I've been impressed by McCann, I have trouble figuring how he fits with the lineup as currently constructed. Makes more sense to have Sutter on the 3rd and Cracknell on the 4th. Maybe that's why they were trying him at wing, so he could stick around splitting duties with Baer during early season lineup blenders until one of them sticks somewhere?

I'd also put the disclaimer that I have no idea how Cracknell does on draws, but the rest of his game looks well suited to the 4th.

pre-season is fuuuuuuuuun

they are going to want Sutter on the ice for 16-18 mins a game........that's never going to happen with Dorsett and Prust

There's not a lot of room on this hockey team. If what Benning said about making room for guys who deserve it is real talk and not just the right thing to say, I'd think Hutton is the guy he's referring to. It's easy for young guys to out-perform the vets in the preseason. There's two different mindsets there. Our top 4 D are set. After that I'd say it's Hutton, Weber (almost a special teams only guy), Biega, Bartowski/Corrado. I really like Biega. I thought he was really relialbe during his call-up last season. Corrado seems to be imploding.

McCann has been good, but we are an average team that most people see as sellers by the deadline. Even if we have a repeat of last season, I'd rather see McCann be a go-to guy and a leader on a good team in the OHL where he can work on his skill, and get a year older. That said, if it came down to Virtanen or McCann on the team this year, I think McCann can have more of an impact game in and game out in the role he'd be given. I think a big thing is we have no one to play with Virtanen.

I don't see how Vrbata is expendable. None of the young guys have shown any game breaking capability this year. They have some skill, but they are not guys who will come in to the league and score 20+ goals as a rookie. We need all the goals we can get. We need experienced vets like Burr, Hansen, or Higgins. For me, it's the other young guys that have to worry about being passed over: Vey and Baerstchi. These guys have a year to prove they are a better option than the guys coming up. We have replacements for Hansen, Burrows, and Higgins in the system.

Vey is the easy target, but for me Baerstchi has been the most disapointing player this pre-season. He hasn't shown any long-term top-6 potential. He's never been a full-time NHL'er and I don't know if he will be. I expect him to be the most hated guy by mid-season here.

Gaunce is a call up, then Kenins. I think Shink and Grenier are probably other guys that can fill in on those bottom 6 roles and push those guys, but we are still thin on true top 6 guys. We're not a skilled team. We've spent most games pinned in our own end, or trying to get the dump & chase and cycle going.

I think we stick to the plan. Junior, AHL, then NHL. Let Horvat be an exception, and not the norm.

as some have mentioned.......McCann would be going back to a first class organization with a legit shot at the Mem Cup and he would be the go to guy.......Virt would e going back to the Hitmen, who despite a good run last year, are not a well run Jr org and badly misused Virt last year. I would not trust them to have Jake's best developmental interests at heart. He would be, imo, better served learning from Gully/Pearn etc etc.

The line up really should be

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Virtanen

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bartkowski

Hutton-Sbisa

D pairings are a little messed, but Hutton should be on the team. If he starts to get worn out he can always be sent down and recalled. Corrado just looks meh to me, would much rather have Biega playing instead of him.

Dorsett and Prust should alternate to keep eachother fresh unless we're playing a big tough team.

Vey and Higgins need to go

Virtanen is just going to be misused in jr and McCann is too good for jr. Gaudreau is 150 pounds, size is not an issue.

#1 line Sedin Sedin Burrows

#2 line Gaunce Sutter Hansen

#3 line Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

#4 line Prust Vey Dorsett

Cracknell and Virtanen

I put the line numbers in order of probable ice-time. The games that Virtanen plays Dorsett will probably move to the left with Vey or Gaunce sitting. Cracknell can switch off with Vey on the more physical teams. Vey can move to the right when Gaunce sits.

I know most people won't like this, but the alternative is to give up on young players for even younger players with little or no return. The business side of hockey in action.

Weber has been unbelievably bad and prust has outplayed Hansen to mix up your initial argument

Kenins rode horvats coat tails last season to stay in the lineup and brought an element the team needed last year ( hitting)

We now have prust, Virtanen, and grenier to a certain degree

Sedin Sedin vrbata : vrbata looks out of place so far on other lines

Baertshi Horvat burrows

Gaunce sutter prust

Dorset. McCann Virtanen

Vey, Hansen in press box, Kenins back to the ahl

Edler tanev

Hamhuis bartkowski

Sbisa Corrado

Weber in press box, Hutton back to ahl unfortunately unless they trade either Corrado or weber

Weber has been unbelievably bad and prust has outplayed Hansen to mix up your initial argument

Kenins rode horvats coat tails last season to stay in the lineup and brought an element the team needed last year ( hitting)

Baertshi Horvat burrows

Gaunce sutter prust

Dorset. McCann Virtanen

Edler tanev

Hamhuis bartkowski

Sbisa Corrado

Weber in press box, Hutton back to ahl unfortunately unless they trade either Corrado or weber

Hansen in the press box. Good one!

Baertshi Horvat burrows

Gaunce sutter prust

Dorset. McCann Virtanen

Edler tanev

Hamhuis bartkowski

Sbisa Corrado

no idea which pre-season you've been watching. Prust hasn't outplayed anyone.

What a shame it would be if Hutton didn't make the opening night roster. No one on our defense has even close to the poise he does with the puck. Last Canuck defenseman able to do the things Hutton does was Ehrhoff.

Our power play looks so much better with Hutton on it. He adds a lot of creativity to it. Like on McCann's goal for example, most guys would have probably shot it and got it blocked, but he drew the defender in and gave a nice pass to McCann for the goal.

He's played against older and bigger players the last few years in College, he doesn't need to go to the AHL.

The only real concern is if he can handle playing that many games, but he's young and very mobile, so I personally don't think it's an issue. If it is he can always be sent down...

Not only does he add poise, speed and offense to our back end but he also adds size.

What a shame it would be if Hutton didn't make the opening night roster. No one on our defense has even close to the poise he does with the puck. Last Canuck defenseman able to do the things Hutton does was Ehrhoff.

Our power play looks so much better with Hutton on it. He adds a lot of creativity to it. Like on McCann's goal for example, most guys would have probably shot it and got it blocked, but he drew the defender in and gave a nice pass to McCann for the goal.

He's played against older and bigger players the last few years in College, he doesn't need to go to the AHL.

The only real concern is if he can handle playing that many games, but he's young and very mobile, so I personally don't think it's an issue. If it is he can always be sent down...

Not only does he add poise, speed and offense to our back end but he also adds size.

Haters will just say it's preseason it doesn't count..

Archived