The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Monday, Oct. 5, 2015 1-Zone bus fare anywhere-does it help you save some money?

kurtzfan

I talked to my friend the other day. He will save some money since he mostly takes the 480 from Richmond to UBC. And 41 or 480 after work.

He will try not to take the skytrain.

Initially, we will have to pay extra money to cross the zone.

Starting next money, he will just need to pay $2.75 by taking bus.

Why can t Translink use the system based on distance instead of the zone system ?

I talked to my friend the other day. He will save some money since he mostly takes the 480 from Richmond to UBC. And 41 or 480 after work.

He will try not to take the skytrain.

Initially, we will have to pay extra money to cross the zone.

Starting next money, he will just need to pay $2.75 by taking bus.

Why can t Translink use the system based on distance instead of the zone system ?

Because distance would require users to tap off buses....which is currently the problem they are trying to avoid switching to a 1 zone bus fare.

For those living and travelling within Vancouver...the zone fare is very beneficial. I live 1 stop from Vancouver via skytain and I have to pay 2 zones when going to work

back in the day, when the GVRD zones were created, it was MUCH MUCH easier to charge fairs based on zones rather then distance - the logistics involved in creating fairs based on distance were financially impractical (does anyone remember getting on a bus and getting a torn up piece of paper as your 'transit pass'?) to institute and 'zones' were a simple solution to a problem that wasn't really a problem...

Today.... the compass card makes a the idea of fairs based on distance easier to accomplish and I've rumors that translink will eventually switch over...

ask this question in 3 years, and then you'll have a legitimate grip

^ as an addendum - again, the financial requirements to change over the current system to a more 'fair' per-distance system outweighs the costs in keeping the current system... once the balance changes (perhaps through public out cry), so will the system

I have to use the train and a bus to get to work, in theory it should cost me the same as I have to pay 2 zones.. though I admit I am kind of worried I will get charged the one zone bus fare after already paying 2 zone on the skytrain.....

From what I get from the flowchart on their website the number of zones = number of zones you travel in on skytrain.

So if you take skytrain from surrey to downtown for the game, it would be three.

If you are like me and take a bus from Coquitlam to Burnaby, and then skytrain downtown for the game, it used to be three zones, but will now be two.

If this sounds confusing, that's because it is.

Of course, I could go backwards to Coquitlam Centre, and then take the 160/190? (can't remember exact bus but I saw it downtown the other day) that runs along Barnett all the way downtown for a single fare!

What I don't really get is that they have signs up all over saying 'buy compass tickets here' etc...I thought the whole point of compass was just a card, no more tickets? Where do I get the card?

The compas system has been on the way for a long time now. TL has invested millions in setting it up....just like those gates that are sitting unused at the entrance to all the stations downtown....

It was initially supposed to roll out in 2013, but apparently will be available to everyone by November of 2015:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Compass-Card/Compass-Timeline.aspx

Personally, I'm not a fan. I know that I'm going to forget to "tap out" many times and get all sorts of extra charges I'll be furious about. After a long day of work or rushing to get to work, the last thing I'll remember to do is push my way to a tap station.

The compas system has been on the way for a long time now. TL has invested millions in setting it up....just like those gates that are sitting unused at the entrance to all the stations downtown....

It was initially supposed to roll out in 2013, but apparently will be available to everyone by November of 2015:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Compass-Card/Compass-Timeline.aspx

Personally, I'm not a fan. I know that I'm going to forget to "tap out" many times and get all sorts of extra charges I'll be furious about. After a long day of work or rushing to get to work, the last thing I'll remember to do is push my way to a tap station.

We're all adults. Don't be mad at translink for not tapping out. Be mad at yourself.

What I don't really get is that they have signs up all over saying 'buy compass tickets here' etc...I thought the whole point of compass was just a card, no more tickets? Where do I get the card?

I heard that you can start buying "compass card" in Nov.

Meanwhile, I noticed that all the signs inside the bus have now changed.

It includes "stored value."

PSA - you can now order reloadable compass cards at compasscard.ca I just did for shiggles; for the 4 times a year I take transit.

compass.PNG

08d6ff77d9.png

PSA - you can now order reloadable compass cards at compasscard.ca I just did for shiggles; for the 4 times a year I take transit.

compass.PNG

Timeline for changing away from the 3 zone system. Looks like they're aiming to have their alternative by Q1 2017.

Also shows they're planning to close the Compass gates Q1 2016."

Archived