The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cuts tomorrow

GrandpaCanuck

JB had an interview today on tsn1040. (I dont have the link) He explained the management team would be watching the game tonight and then tomorrow spending most of the day reviewing camp to date with the hope of making some hard decisions. He stressed throughout the interview his priority for players was that they play sound defensively at all times before they even would look at what else they brought to the table. Once the player proved defensive responsibility they would look at if that player was delivering what their skillset dictated.

Seeing as camp is that point now, they have to be serious about removing 3 to 5 players tomorrow night (they don't have to as anyone going to Utica is in limbo until they return from france, but if your not keeping them there's no point in taking up space in camp.)

So this post isn't about starting lineups, it isn't about no trade clauses, or waivers or where people get sent or traded. Who are the bottom 4 players in camp to date. USING WHAT BENNING SAID. Who has been the least reliable defensively, and if its a tie, who is bringing the least to the table after defense. (Higgins is hurt, he stays out of it)

3 forwards and a defenseman.

for myself I would have said bartkowski before this game, but seeing him pick it up a notch or two, I thinks its corrado. weber gets outmuscled here and there, but he has consistently reliable body position, and sbisa has played pretty damn well.

forwards are a bigger mess.

Virtanen is making a lot of junior plays and is looking very young (and undisciplined), but hes smart enough to easily clean those gaffs up as he transitions to the nhl game. Plus he hasn't been out of place in our zone, and when in trouble he is capable of outmuscling them.

I like Vey, he is playing smart hockey, but he is playing small. He may have put on weight but he is getting outmuscled and pushed around even if he has position. When given offensive chances has not been able to pull the trigger.

Cracknell is smart, he is big, he works his ass off going into the play and even returning to the bench he hustles. I think he is a half step behind regular season pace.

Hansen I see speed. lots of speed. lots of energy, lots of determination, lots of effort. his defensive game is there, but he has not shown enough after that (last reg season and preseason) to guarantee himself a spot .

Kenins. is he better then prust or dorset? 3 players, 2 jobs. I worry for kenins. maybe third job if he has outplayed Hansen? maybe. we will find out in the next few days.

McCann and Guance have shown strength and smarts and skill enough to get the last game I think.

so bottom four players.

corrado

kenins

vey

cracknell

Hansen won't be cut. You're crazy if you think he may be. All the Veterans look bad because they don't care.

Biega and Cracknell are down for sure. Kenins and one of Hutton and Corrado. Obviously don't want Hutton sent down but Corrado would be on waivers. If Hutton is kept, they'll have to do something with the top six otherwise, having him sit as the 7th guy would be pointless. Kenins will be called up as a 13th forward eventually.

Vey should be gone but politics keep him on the team.

I hope it's your computer.

Linden Vey has done NOTHING. NOTHING! McCann has worked his ass off for this roster spot, so if he gets cut tomorrow and linden vey is on the opening roster getting knocked off the puck every shift and having about 20 turnovers per game excuse me for being pissed off about that. now mind your own business please

Linden Vey has done NOTHING. NOTHING! McCann has worked his ass off for this roster spot, so if he gets cut tomorrow and linden vey is on the opening roster getting knocked off the puck every shift and having about 20 turnovers per game excuse me for being pissed off about that. now mind your own business please

3 posts and you are already a troll. Congrats

Just blow the computer up. Easy there Sally everyone knows mccann has outplayed vey

Kenins is going to be cut, he simply hasn't done enough.

That 3rd/4th line winger spot is really up for grabs now between Gaunce, Virtanen and McCann.

Gaunce has shown he can play solid defensively, on the PK, is a physical beast at times and can score some gritty goals.

Virtanen has shown he can be a hitting machine, play physically, set up some nice passes and score some fast goals with good skating. However he doesn't bring any good defence or smart defensive-zone passing.

McCann has shown he has an elite-level wrist shot and brilliant passing, he has the best hockey IQ of any prospect on this team. However, he doesn't bring physicality or fantastic defence.

Obviously McCann fits in our top-6, but not yet. We need a gritty guy who can play good defence, skate well and score the occasional goal while throwing big hits. It comes down to Gaunce VS Virtanen in my opinion, and Virtanen made a huge case for himself tonight with instant chemistry with Baertschi and Horvat in what could be our 2nd line almost. That mix of physical powerforward - defensive center - skilled winger is the recipe to playoff success in this league, and these 3 have it all.

That being said Gaunce will get his opportunity tomorrow. All he needs to do is play well defensively, play physically and maybe generate some offence and he'll have a good shot. IMO he should be the favourite because he has a far more well-rounded game than Virtanen but we'll wait and see.

Either way, one of Virtanen or McCann deserve 9 NHL games to start the season after a little AHL stint because they've both been brilliant this pre-season.

Archived