The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cuts tomorrow

GrandpaCanuck

No he wouldn't and the reason why is people like you and I haven't a clue about what these guys look for, what they are seeing on the ice, what they are noting in practice, in fact we are not qualified in any way to give a valid opinion on the players.

We only express our bias and our peripheral judgement while trying to make it sound like we know what we are talking about.

I agree 100% with your valuation. I would add that my avatar is cute, and very afraid of yours:)

No he wouldn't and the reason why is people like you and I haven't a clue about what these guys look for, what they are seeing on the ice, what they are noting in practice, in fact we are not qualified in any way to give a valid opinion on the players.

We only express our bias and our peripheral judgement while trying to make it sound like we know what we are talking about.

Best post of the preseason. Well done!

As a side note one thing many choose to ignore is that pesky thing called "asset management" that also comes into play when making roster decisions.

With Gauce only playing 4 games thus far and still being at camp I figure he's probably solidified a spot on opening night. If he was really battling for a spot you think he would have played more in order to get a better look at him. Hes older, has a year of pro already, and physically capable of handling the every day grind of a full NHL season. I think it comes down between Vey and McCann for that final center position and I guess I depends on how comfortable Willie feels having a younger McCann over his boy Vey. Unfortunately I think Vey makes it. Best case scenerio is McCann and Virts get a 9 game look then get sent back to junior.

Or maybe, he couldn't see out of both eyes, after having his nose busted in San Jose. Hopefully he gets a shot in Saturdays game. I think he is the most NHL ready of all these kids. Jake might get figured out pretty quickly in the NHL, although it's pretty hard not to like his speed and passing skills. McCann really looked good when put with Sutter, and Hutton is really going to make it hard not to be kept around.

Thought both Weber and Sbisa had a lot of good hockey last season.

To join the speculative crowd;

Hutton: will be sent down because he can be. It gets him lots of ice in Utica and can be recalled at no cost.

Corrado: gets his shot.

Vey: ditto. He gets his shot because he would be lost if waived and it is a realistic solution. In a

weak position. Must show in first month or likely gone.

Guance: likely the same as Hutton. Can be recalled after a strong month in Utica.

Virtanen & McCann: I suspect both get 9 games. Neither has nailed a spot yet.

This is probably the closest thing to what is really going to happen. Patience people, everybody is going to have a place to play hockey this year. And enough of the "Vey as Willy's pet" B.S., remind me- how many games did Vey dress for in the playoffs last year ? He's going to get his final chance to sink or swim this year, and depending on our situation come January he could be part of a very large group of players made available at the deadline, if not sooner.

On 1040, they were saying that Paajarvi, similar age as Vey but bigger (6'3") and having the better NHL resume went thru waivers without being claimed. So no problem Vey going thru waivers.

Vey would not be claimed.

The Canucks are wasting a roster spot on Prust. We don't need Prust and Dorsett. They are redundant players. I would rather our toughness come from the young guys like Virtanen.

Of course, Prust will make this team but he will be a complete bust. He also has shown nothing in the preseason but he gets a free pass.

If any team in the league needs the toughness that Dorsett and Prust brings, it's the Canucks.

I think they planned to send Hutton down to Utica so they gave him a ton of ice time last night. Of course, he ate up the ice time and he was our best defenceman again. He's not making their decision easy.

Still...good asset management puts Hutton, Kenins, and/or Gaunce in Utica to start the season. As others have mentioned; we can't afford to lose players so those who can go to the minors might have to.

I'd sure love to watch Virtanen all year. He's got some good times in his game.

Benning also said multiple times, if a rookie proves better than a vet, he has no problem trading to open a spot.

We get that, but "proving better" means over a course of regular season games, not preseason. No team ices their full lineup in preseason, and most vets play to not get hurt in meaningless games.

Half the time it's mostly ahlers and vets that don't normally play the way they would if two points were on the line. That sometimes involves cheap shots, charging, wicked slashes.

Proving means being able to handle that crap for at least nine regular season games.

Proving you are better than a guy who has done that for 500 career nhl games is quite different.

And that's why prust was brought in, so that him and Dorsett can limit the nasty plays, so that the kids can just play their game.

Do some of you people seriously think Willie or JB for that matter wants to weaken their career chances by playing guys who are not able to cut the mustard when the REAL SHOW gets going? For fs grow up.

You sound like a pack of biased, butthurt, parents standing on the touchline at a soccer game. "My Johnny is better than your Jackie "

Why are you so aggressive and angry?

What I want to happen.

McCann gets 9 games. Goes back to junior

Virtanen gets 9 games. makes team

Gaunce makes team

Higgins is traded after he get off the DL

Vey gets traded

Kenins is extra forward. ( he has a one way contract so he would have to go through waivers to go down )

Hutton makes team

What will happen

McCann gets sent down trm

Corrado makes team

Gaunce makes team till Higgins gets back then he goes to Utica

Hutton goes to Utica

Beiga and Cranknell go to utica

One way contracts make no difference for waivers. It just determines how much he gets paid if he gets sent down. He is waiver exempt, he will be sent down.

After watching last nights presser, it's pretty obvious that McCann won't be making the team. I'm sure Vey, will stay, because management will think he will be lost on waivers if sent down.

I see Gaunce, Virtanen, and Hutton all making the team.

Apart from waiver consideration I suspect a lot of talk will be about what's the best for a players rather than what's good for the team in the here and now. So many have complained about "developing" talent and doing the right thing for his future. Plus of course GM's are not going to just clear a player out without getting an asset back. Coaches also know a lot more than fans about players character ie Higgins value is as much about character and influence on the roster.

Just om the games I've watched on TV McCann seems like a shoe in but I suspect he's going back to junior to excel and develop more confidence.

Kenins has played too soft for the role he's supposed to play, waiver exempt

I don't care much for Bartkowski he's OK but that's not good enough IMO, frankly IMO Biega has played the better game, and better than Corrado too. But despite that will also be sent down simply because they have a chnace of getting him through waivers

Cracknell is another .....OK player but nothing outstanding

Fedun is gone

Huttons is making it very tough on management , during the pre season he's been the best D but he too can be waived, unless they carry 8 "D"

Tough job making these decisions

I'm hoping the next game the lines will be:

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata (Vrbata suits them better than any player on this team).

Baertschi/Horvat/Virtanen (This was last nights game, this line combined for a total of 10 points. See if the chemistry's there..)

Burrows/McCann/Hansen (This can be an experimental line to see how they preform. Two wingers that can score when given the chance, and a sniper/playmaker himself centering it).

Prust/Sutter/Dorsett. (Expensive 4th line? eh, I'd prefer Cracknell with the way he's playing on that 4th line center role but hopefully Sutter meshes with Prust/Dorsett).

Kenins, Gaunce scratches. Maybe Gaunce gets cut tomorrow? He's been playing solid, however, maybe give him one more year in Utica. He'd be one of the first call-ups anyways. Kenins has not played of what was expected from him, and so he could be our 13th forward moving ahead.

Edler/Tanev (No brainer, easily our best D pairing)

Hamhuis/Weber (Pretty solid pairing. Weber's been fitting very nicely)

Sbisa/Hutton (Sbisa/Hutton pairing had a very strong game against Edmonton. Hutton brings that calmness maybe Sbisa can learn from. And Hutton can learn the aggresive, hitting influence from Sbisa)

Corrado's the 7th D-man. Not exactly the best pre-season for him, but he's done enough to earn that 7th role. Hopefully, he does get a few share of games.

i see the canucks sending biega down and keep 8 d-men, virt and mccann can be kept for 9 games, before decisions have to be made...imo, gaunce take higgin's spot until he comes back or is traded..vey may be kept as the 13th forward...kenins and cracknell sent down...if either mccann or virtanen are kept past their 9 games, then benning and company will need further cuts....

i see the canucks sending biega down and keep 8 d-men, virt and mccann can be kept for 9 games, before decisions have to be made...imo, gaunce take higgin's spot until he comes back or is traded..vey may be kept as the 13th forward...kenins and cracknell sent down...if either mccann or virtanen are kept past their 9 games, then benning and company will need further cuts....

Do you think Biega has outplayed Corrado?

Do you think Biega has outplayed Corrado?

I do. At least for the role of 5th or 6th D man. Corrado was supposed to the guy that Hutton has been.

As a 15 minute guy, I really like Biega. He's steady, can skate and pass the puck, and he has a bit more of an edge than Corrado. With Sbisa being our only physical Dman, that might give Biega a chance to get in the lineup if injuries happen.

I think they keep Corrado up and hope he turns it around. At this point Corrado might be an asset to "manage".

Archived