The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cuts tomorrow

GrandpaCanuck

Gaunce plays the heavy, battle in trenches, type game that Benning likes though.

Yup but since Gaunce can go to Utica without clearing waivers that should make him a cut and potential callup later on.

Obvious cuts to me are Guance, Cracknell, Beiga after that it gets much more difficult.

Virtanen just can't do anything right eh? One sound bite from the assistant coach, a conversation I'm sure he's had with each and every one of the prospects, and the kid isn't ready? Did you even watch the game last night? Game before? Virtanen has been in on most of the goals this pre-season, whether or not the scoresheet recognizes that. Him, McCann and Gaunce have all made great cases to get an extended NHL audition. What it's going to come down to is the limited space available. I don't think anyone expected this many prospects to be legitimately pushing for a spot this early.

Gaunce looks good but virtanen and McCann have out played him

I wouldn't say that Gaunce has been outplayed, he plays a completely different style of game than Virtanen and McCann. He's not flashy, but he has been showing his strength and willingness to power his way to where he needs to be.

He's never going to have Virtanen's speed and McCann's overall play making ability.

What he does bring and has been delivering, helps win hockey games!

The thing about the youth infusion is that it won't happen all in the same year or all at the same time.

To get the waiver eligible guys like Kenins, Gaunce, and Hutton into the NHL doesn't need to happen out of camp. It can happen during the course of the season as required regardless of how well they played in camp. They simply have shown that they are options for us going forward as needed to fill in for injuries. That isn't a slight on them, it's a sign of confidence. They are real depth to the organization now and they will get their looks soon enough. It's a luxury we haven't had much of over the last few years and we are unaccustomed to the slowness of the 'process.'

This isn't the training camp for a massive youth infusion anyway. This year is a transition year. There will be more doors open next camp after we move out some vets during the season and offseason. The process was begun this year but it is not a straight line progression. It will take years, and should.

With regards to McCann...he will get sent back. He showed well. He will get the opportunity to force a way into the roster in a calendar year. I expect Virtanen will get his 9 games but it's still 50/50 in my mind as to whether he stays beyond that. The health of the roster and his play will dictate that.

As frustrating as it will be for some fans, this season will be much the same as last year with only a slight turn toward youth. It won't be until the likes of Higgins, Burrows, Vrbata, and Hamhuis get rolled out on the trade market before we can get a look at the future roster. It's another 12-18 months away. All of our young players will benefit from the incubation period.

It's a fallacy to simply look at individual players to decide who 'deserves' to be on this version of the Canucks. We are building organizational momentum for future seasons and that requires depth at all places including Utica and junior. It requires meting out entries into the NHL that keep our assets under ELCs, and before UFA, over the course of years. These decisions must come with a 1, 3, and 5 year plan that get altered by training camps like this. For example, though he won't make the team this season, McCann may have forced his spot from the 3 year lineup into the 1 year lineup. We will know based on his showing next camp.

I do expect that Gaunce has made himself a necessity to get a look this season but that may happen 20-40 games into the year. He may get a job out of camp too, or play 10 games and get sent back once Higgins is healthy. Vey will get this year to force his way into the lineup too and will need to be better than our call-ups. If he doesn't, we won't be having this conversation next camp.

It will all happen, Canuck fans, but likely not on your timeline. It will happen a full year or two later.

R.T.P.....Respect The Process.

The thing about the youth infusion is that it won't happen all in the same year or all at the same time.

R.T.P.....Respect The Process.

+1 Well said

I can't wait for McCann, Hutton, Virt to be regulars. But I will have to wait.

I don't have patience for Vey though. Gaunce and Bart are ahead of him imo and should get the opportunity before him.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Baer Horvat Jake

Hansen Sutter burrows

Prust Gaunce Dorsett

Vey will be the extra forward.

MCann has a higher ceiling than Gaunce, but at this point in their careers Gaunce is better suited for the fourth line.

Edit: its a really nice problem to have, and one that fans here are not used to. Having more than one bright young prospect and arguing over who should make the team. I remember when all of our hopes were hung around one guy like Schroeder or *cough* Hodgson.... The beauty is that they have Boeser, with his wicked shot, coming up,....and they could sell off a guy like Hamhuis at the trade deadline to a contender for more young talent.

+1 Well said

I can't wait for McCann, Hutton, Virt to be regulars. But I will have to wait.

I don't have patience for Vey though. Gaunce and Bart are ahead of him imo and should get the opportunity before him.

Thanks, Shifty.

And I think they will. Vey won't be handed a top 12 spot. He's going to need to force the hand. He will be available though if Bart or someone else goes cold a bit though. He can spell a rest spot when needed. That seems his role right now.

I find it funny how often the board will be unanimous when screaming about following the Detroit model and being patient with prospects and developing our prospects properly then almost everyone flips their $&!# when a guy like Mccann might get sent down after playing well in a few pre-season games. He'd be wasting his time in a 4th line role, he would have to outplay Sutter and Horvat for that 3rd line role to get any decent playing time with decent players. Yes he's a better option then Vey but should we really have him up because Vey sucks that bad?

Patients grasshoppers, he'll be going back down brimming with confidence and he'll kill it. Get to play in the world juniors, get another off season to get stronger and come back next year with a real chance to work his way onto the team.

Regardless of what should happen, I think what will happen is the players who aren't Jr eligible and don't have to clear waivers will end up in Utica until space is made...specifically I'm referring to Hutton and Gaunce. I think Virtanen gets some time in the regular season, that's my gut feeling. I think McCann goes back to Jr, I base that on him not being a bottom 6 style player. I won't be surprised to see Jimmy B make some moves right away though to get Hutton back up...and maybe Gaunce for 4th line center while acknowledging he has been playing wing last season.

Thanks, Shifty.

And I think they will. Vey won't be handed a top 12 spot. He's going to need to force the hand. He will be available though if Bart or someone else goes cold a bit though. He can spell a rest spot when needed. That seems his role right now.

I understand he could get spot duty in top 12 and I am ok with that. I just don't like him getting time in bottom three when he isn't suited for it.

I would have rather kept Richardson for that.

The easiest mistake to make at this point in the preseason is forgetting that many vets are pacing themselves because they know they have another gear for the regular season, and don't want to get injured before the season starts. Also they need time to get rid of rust.

The rookies are running on full adrenaline right now, and are playing at max already. This is a bit of an oversimplification, but in my view you have to temper excitement at their potential, and see things from a coaching perspective.

For example, Hansen is a burner who has proven he can forecheck and play D, and can fit on many different lines. McCann has shown flashes of brilliance, but how is his D?

I'd love to see McCann prove me wrong, but I think after 9 games he'll be going back to junior.

SO is this just speculation that cuts are coming today? or is it a fact?

Speculation

Though I would expect a more seasoned lineup for the final exhibition game. So expect someone to be cut.

My guess is McCann will be sent down. And maybe Hutton.

I understand he could get spot duty in top 12 and I am ok with that. I just don't like him getting time in bottom three when he isn't suited for it.

I would have rather kept Richardson for that.

I don't see it as a big deal if they roll with that for half a dozen games to gauge the effect on the whole roster. It may not hurt us as much as is being prognosticated. In fact, it may actually work just fine. It's a long season, we have time to see.

Of course, we may just keep Cracknell too, though I doubt it, but for sure the 4C is still a big question to be answered. And isn't it lovely that that's the only major question mark on the roster? The rest have to perform, sure, but they are all easily pencilled. If we are sunk over the 4C it will only be because the other 22 aren't pulling their weight.

As we know, what we will see in a week is not what we will see in two months.

We may not love what Vey has done this preseason, and are pitting him against our other players, but we could also have 4 injuries to forwards in the first week of the season. It's happened before. We will be happy to have kept the warm body then. Everyone else would get a look too. Let it play out.

Regardless of what should happen, I think what will happen is the players who aren't Jr eligible and don't have to clear waivers will end up in Utica until space is made...specifically I'm referring to Hutton and Gaunce. I think Virtanen gets some time in the regular season, that's my gut feeling. I think McCann goes back to Jr, I base that on him not being a bottom 6 style player. I won't be surprised to see Jimmy B make some moves right away though to get Hutton back up...and maybe Gaunce for 4th line center while acknowledging he has been playing wing last season.

Those are logical conclusions.

This time of year requires long term strategy not in-the-moment reactions.

Archived