The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] The Hockey News: Buzz surrounding Schenn brothers in Philadelphia

Decent players, but never lived up to their hype or cap hit. I remember when Luke was supposed to be the Leafs next big star haha. But a change of scenery could be all it takes for these guys. Shisa for L. Schenn?

I would say that a change of scenery would do these kids great. Since both went to Philly, they only know coaching changes. Who knows what a bang up job the coaching and development guys did for these 2. Started with Lavin letter, then Knuckle dragger Berube and now the new guy.

Perhaps with some Lidster tutelage, Luke improves

2 -20 goal seasons for Brayden....

Having 4 lines that can hit n score greasy goals

Brayden Schenn is pretty much a carbon copy of Sutter, if not a bit better offensively. Luke on the other hand is pretty much a slightly bigger right handed Sbisa.

We have no need or room for the Schenns on this team. If and when we lose Vbrata and Hamhuis, we're going to need a top-6 sniper and a left handed puck mover, not the Schenns.

Perfect example of trying to get a young d into the NHL far too soon. There must be cause for concern for Brayden as well. The Kings like big guys, and they got rid of him pretty early.

They traded him along with Simmonds for Mike Richards. It's not that they got rid of him early, it's because he was mainly the centerpiece Philly wanted if they were going to trade away Richards.

For it to work with us (Vancouver, for those that don't like when we refer to the team as us) we'd likely need to move Hammer and Vrbata, then use those picks/prospects and move them for the Schenn's, assuming we take a flyer on both. The cap space just isn't there for us right now.

Would bang, though it'll cost picks and prospects.

Wonder if Luke has much trade value around the league though. Maybe trading for Luke, then trying to snag Brayden when he's a RFA, if he makes it that far.

Decent players, but never lived up to their hype or cap hit. I remember when Luke was supposed to be the Leafs next big star haha. But a change of scenery could be all it takes for these guys. Shisa for L. Schenn?

Doesn't make sense if Philly wants cap space.

Luke Schenn seems like a player Benning would target.

If they're looking to clear cap and he wouldn't cost much, I would go for it.

We'd have to clear one of Higgins or Hansen's contracts first though.

Depends how much cap Philly expects/needs from trading Luke. If they just need some breathing room, then Vey for Luke Schenn with 25% cap retained (for example) would still give the Flyers ~1.5M more cap space.

Or if they wanted a defensemen replacement..Weber for Schenn with 20% cap retained.

Or the Canucks could trade them a 3rd/4th for Schenn, and the Canucks could waive/move Weber or Vey and have 950,000 covered.

Since Schenn is on the last year of his contract, some cap retention doesn't really matter.

I'd be interested in seeing both a Sbisa - Schenn bottom pairing, but also a quick-footed d-man like Bartkowski with Schenn. Schenn obviously hasn't worked out in Philly, but maybe in a new scenery, a Doug Lidster, low expectations, he could rebuild his game a bit. I was thinking Sbisa, because in his jr days, Schenn had so much success with another big defenseman as his partner taking up space...though obviously junior is different and size is a huge factor. Also, I know Edler and Schenn (at 15!) overlapped for one year in Kelowna, but I'm not sure if they ever played together...

I always looked Brayden Schenn and Brandon Sutter the same way. Personally, I'd rather have Schenn.

I'd rather have both.

“Edler's demeanor...he’s quiet and still is, but he fit in well with the guys on the team. We had Luke Schenn and Tyler Myers on our team during the time Alex was here and he was able to fit in with our corps. We never questioned his abilities, but Thomas and our coaching staff, they really helped Alex. That played a huge part in how things turned out for him.”

- Bruce Hamilton

Both are decent players and you could easily argue are upgrades on some guys we have. The cap hits and asking prices are what would likely make it not work.

L. Schenn > Sbisa

B. Schenn > Hansen or Higgins

Luke would be a good type of partner for a young guy like Hutton coming up who may have defensive lapses but provides offense. We aren't exactly stacked with RH defencemen either.

Brayden is a guy who could actually be a 3rd line winger who could move up into the top 6 if need be. Higgins was miscast in that role last year, and if Baertschi doesn't perform may have to do it again this year. Brayden would be a better fit in that regard (and can play centre) as well as being a more physical bottom 6 guy when needed.

The other thing they have going for them is their age... we need guys in that range with NHL experience but just hitting their prime to bridge the gap between guys in their mid thirties and our crop of 19-21 year olds.

If they deal was right, they make our team better. They would be bigger upgrades for some other teams who would be willing to part with more for them.

Corrado, Higgins, Jensen + a late pick or other prospect is a price that makes it not a bad deal on our part... but you probably have to know about the cost of re-signing before you do the deal.

For it to work with us (Vancouver, for those that don't like when we refer to the team as us) we'd likely need to move Hammer and Vrbata, then use those picks/prospects and move them for the Schenn's, assuming we take a flyer on both. The cap space just isn't there for us right now.

Lol no way. If we trade vrbata and hamhuis I want the picks not another sbisa. I'd take Brayden though if the price was right.

I think Brayden Schenn is off the block with a good preseason. Hearing that Luke may be waived by Tuesday.

Bummer, Canucks can't afford Luke at his cap hit.

Maybe GMJB can convince them to take a 4th round pick for 25% of his cap hit or Weber + a 4th for Luke minus 20% cap hit. Still gives the Flyers breathing room.

Both are decent players and you could easily argue are upgrades on some guys we have. The cap hits and asking prices are what would likely make it not work.

L. Schenn > Sbisa

B. Schenn > Hansen or Higgins

Luke would be a good type of partner for a young guy like Hutton coming up who may have defensive lapses but provides offense. We aren't exactly stacked with RH defencemen either.

Brayden is a guy who could actually be a 3rd line winger who could move up into the top 6 if need be. Higgins was miscast in that role last year, and if Baertschi doesn't perform may have to do it again this year. Brayden would be a better fit in that regard (and can play centre) as well as being a more physical bottom 6 guy when needed.

The other thing they have going for them is their age... we need guys in that range with NHL experience but just hitting their prime to bridge the gap between guys in their mid thirties and our crop of 19-21 year olds.

If they deal was right, they make our team better. They would be bigger upgrades for some other teams who would be willing to part with more for them.

Corrado, Higgins, Jensen + a late pick or other prospect is a price that makes it not a bad deal on our part... but you probably have to know about the cost of re-signing before you do the deal.

those are intresting props; Brayden would be the guy go to ,as stated they would want a 1rst plus a player a younger one .an if could do L Schen straight up for Sibisa in a heart beat would

Huge pass on luke.

He's so bad even the leafs gave up on him. Totally failed to hit expectations and to this point at very best, just a depth hard hitting dman with sup par defending and offensive skills.

Brayden probably pass on him too, since we have up and coming players like gaunce and McCann coming up, not to mention horvat.

Archived