The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

** Anybody Ready to eat crow ?**

WestlockWarrior

Would you accept this trade offer today.....

Anaheim Offers : Ryan Kesler and Keegan Iverson, Gustav Frosling,Adam Clendenning

For

Vancouver's : Jared McCann, Brandon Sutter, Luca Sbisa and Derek Dorsett. ??

Also where is all the fans that knew better than Benning and Scouts that wanted to draft Ivan Barbeshev based on a 10 minute compilation video they saw of him ???

Making these comparisons is always difficult because it is difficult to know what to include. In this case it is worth considering the very high cap hit to quality ratio that Vancouver is paying for Sutter, Sbisa, and Dorsett. And those guys also take up roster spots that could have gone to others. It is quite possible that the for amount Vancouver is paying for Sutter, Sbisa, and Dorsett they could used that money more effectively by just going to the free agent market without the need to give up assets in trade.

That said, I like McCann and was one of several people who noted after the 2014 draft that in a few years the most important player in the Kesler deal could be McCann. I would say that will true within 3 years and maybe even by next year.

When evaluating a trade that involves a pick you credit the GM with the pick number. Not the player drafted.

There is no way to predict that McCann is even there that late, even he was surprised he fell so low. So no, we don't credit Benning for trading Kesler for McCann, that we equate to luck only. Sometimes better to be lucky than good, but I'd hate to rely on that.

There are times where the number rule doesn't apply, trading specifically for the Sedin picks for example or Horvat was only aquired because he was availible

So while we can credit Burke and Gillis for those, Benning only gets credit for getting a 24th overall and the players. We can credit benning for having the smarts to use that pick on McCann since he was there so late but he did not trade Kesler for McCann in any way.

So regardless of who we got or traded for later we evaluate it like this:

Was Bonino, Sbisa and a 24th good value for Kesler or not?

No, the deal stunk, so not eating any crow here at all.

Not a logical thread. Once a player lets it be know he wants a trade.....they you gotta trade him.

You find the best deal you can get with all caveats included then do it.

In some ways I am surprised we got as much as we did with him. With so few trading partners the longer it took would mean interested teams like Anaheim would know they were the only ones in the market.......

Mmmmm, crow. It's an excellent FREE protein source, and tastes amazing. It reminds me of the guy who throws rocks at pigeons in New York and then cooks and eats them. Who would pay for meat when you can get it for free?

I'm thinking, on this planet, there are more crows picking clean the bones of humans than the other way round.

If you mean eating Marc Crawford than no thanks.

If you mean that an aging kesler with a banged up frame, for McCann, Sutter, sbisa et all than yes

This trade may have been lopsided in the immediate perception but once long term realizations are accrued, than we will be ok.

Archived