The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

** Anybody Ready to eat crow ?**

WestlockWarrior

Would you accept this trade offer today.....

Anaheim Offers : Ryan Kesler and Keegan Iverson, Gustav Frosling,Adam Clendenning

For

Vancouver's : Jared McCann, Brandon Sutter, Luca Sbisa and Derek Dorsett. ??

Also where is all the fans that knew better than Benning and Scouts that wanted to draft Ivan Barbeshev based on a 10 minute compilation video they saw of him ???

As someone who likely who had McCann ranked below (in this order) Pastrnak, Barbashev and Kempe, I'm going to wait until these kids are 24-25 years old before naming one of them better than the others.

I'm guessing at this, but I had Pastrnak (10ish), Barbashev (15ish), Kempe (18ish) and McCann (19ish). The fun thing about the draft is seeing who's better down the road...and by down the road I don't mean in a year...I mean in 5-10 years.

Now I don't know if you remember, but back in about 2005 there was this debate about how the Canucks blew it drafting Ryan Kesler over Mike Richards. If I was guessing, about 90% of Canucks fans were pretty mad about them not drafting "The Canadian Kid". That rage faded around 2009 and isn't even a debate today.

You don't know who is going to have the best career based off of one great training camp at 19 years old. You know who's had the best career after they've played 500 or so games.

When evaluating a trade that involves a pick you credit the GM with the pick number. Not the player drafted.

There is no way to predict that McCann is even there that late, even he was surprised he fell so low. So no, we don't credit Benning for trading Kesler for McCann, that we equate to luck only. Sometimes better to be lucky than good, but I'd hate to rely on that.

There are times where the number rule doesn't apply, trading specifically for the Sedin picks for example or Horvat was only aquired because he was availible

So while we can credit Burke and Gillis for those, Benning only gets credit for getting a 24th overall and the players. We can credit benning for having the smarts to use that pick on McCann since he was there so late but he did not trade Kesler for McCann in any way.

So regardless of who we got or traded for later we evaluate it like this:

Was Bonino, Sbisa and a 24th good value for Kesler or not?

No, the deal stunk, so not eating any crow here at all.

Great post. I agree. It's not kesler for McCaan but rather the 24th pick. The canucks and JB are lucky McCaan fell.

The only way it would be kesler for McCaan would be if the trade occurred on draft day if the canucks traded kesler only because McCaan was still on the board

In other words you wanted Barbashev?

Just trying to put in perspective that maybe just maybe Management knows a lot more than Joe Nobodies like me and u.

where in my post did i say that. McCann was a good pick. your orginal post is not that good bro. like i said before, you have to add every piece from each trade for your comparison. also i have to say sibsa is garbage. i dont blames benning for the return he got for kesler cuz really he had no choice. but that sbisa contract extension was bad. even you cant defend that , based on his play as a bottom pairing d man.

Great post. I agree. It's not kesler for McCaan but rather the 24th pick. The canucks and JB are lucky McCaan fell.

The only way it would be kesler for McCaan would be if the trade occurred on draft day if the canucks traded kesler only because McCaan was still on the board

Lucky or not we got McCann for Kessler and we wouldn't have McCann if we didn't make the trade.

Would you accept this trade offer today.....

Anaheim Offers : Ryan Kesler and Keegan Iverson, Gustav Frosling,Adam Clendenning

For

Vancouver's : Jared McCann, Brandon Sutter, Luca Sbisa and Derek Dorsett. ??

Kesler is easily worth Sutter, sbisa, dorsett - and McCann's yet to play a regular season game

Youre jumping the gun on trying to gloat over people who think we got schooled on the kesler trade. Try harder next time bud

Kesler is easily worth Sutter, sbisa, dorsett - and McCann's yet to play a regular season game

Youre jumping the gun on trying to gloat over people who think we got schooled on the kesler trade. Try harder next time bud

I'm glad your not our GM.

I hate these modern programs. Mine too often defaults to your, even when I mean you're. Does yours do that too?

Since you brought it up, I don't think any of us could be even a Timbit's team GM.

Lol, iPhones are bad for auto texting.

Archived