The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roster for Opening Night vs. Calgary ->

darkpoet

Send me a link to this. I don't believe you.

Last season they commented that they prefer playing with Burrows because he digs pucks out for them. With Vrbata on their line that becomes their job and not only puts more wear and tear on their bodies but doesn't allow them as much freedom to make plays.

Sutter, theoretically, could do the same.

Now that Vey and Corrado have been waived...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Virtanen-Sutter-Dorsett

Prust-McCann-Hansen

Cracknell, Higgins(IR)

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Weber

Hutton-Sbisa

Bartowski

Miller

Markstrom

My best guess anyways.

Best line up I've seen, good depth throughout the line up!

Sedin Sedin Vrbata - (All offense line. We've seen it work before. Bring back the magic.)

Burrows Sutter Hansen - (Very dependable defensively against top lines. Still can put up decent numbers.)

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen - (Good defensively, with depth scoring. More like a Line 2B.)

Prust McCann Dorsett - (Muscle on the wings, McCann in the middle. Similar to what Bo had when he started.)

(Higgins**-Cracknell) - (Higgins on IR, Cracknell can fill in for first man down. Sets a good example for rookies.)

Edler Tanev - (Top D pairing. They did great last year.)

Hamhuis Weber - (Hamhuis's D, with Webers shot.)

Hutton Sbisa - (Hutton gets eased in before jumping into top 4)

(Bartkowski) - (Would prefer if he was a righty, but solid nonetheless.)

Ryan Miller - (Starting goaltender)

Jacob Markstrom - (Backup goaltender)

I am actually really, REALLY comfortable with this roster going into the season, regardless if these are the lines. There is a lot of flexibility and depth in that lineup.

McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, and Markstrom in one year. The youth movement is on poeple. I am excited for this team.

Best line up I've seen, good depth throughout the line up!

Sedin Sedin Vrbata - (All offense line. We've seen it work before. Bring back the magic.)

Burrows Sutter Hansen - (Very dependable defensively against top lines. Still can put up decent numbers.)

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen - (Good defensively, with depth scoring. More like a Line 2B.)

Prust McCann Dorsett - (Muscle on the wings, McCann in the middle. Similar to what Bo had when he started.)

(Higgins**-Cracknell) - (Higgins on IR, Cracknell can fill in for first man down. Sets a good example for rookies.)

Edler Tanev - (Top D pairing. They did great last year.)

Hamhuis Weber - (Hamhuis's D, with Webers shot.)

Hutton Sbisa - (Hutton gets eased in before jumping into top 4)

(Bartkowski) - (Would prefer if he was a righty, but solid nonetheless.)

Ryan Miller - (Starting goaltender)

Jacob Markstrom - (Backup goaltender)

I am actually really, REALLY comfortable with this roster going into the season, regardless if these are the lines. There is a lot of flexibility and depth in that lineup.

McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, and Markstrom in one year. The youth movement is on poeple. I am excited for this team.

This is what I would do, too.

Only questionmark is if Vrbata and the brothers still are on the same page. If I were GM, I would ask the twins whom they would want on their right side and then offer Vrbata and the next years first to the opposite GM.

Is WD trying to troll us? Vrbata specifically signed here to play with the Sedins and instantly clicked with and he doesn't play him there....

The Sedins prefer a forechecker on their line. Get over it.

Vrbata will still play with them on the PP.

I like our special team possibilites too.

Our Powerplay

PP1

Vrbata Sedin Burrows

-----Edler-----Sedin----

Turn Vrbatas shot in, Henrik works the other boards. Burrows acts as net front presence and pest. And honestly, I think Daniel would work well on the right point. He can use his playmaking and shotting from the point to open up space. I bet he could get some sick feeds in to Vrbata too, or take a good feed from one on the other side. Edler is the steady piller he is.

PP2

Virtanen Horvat Baertschi

-----Hamhuis----Weber----

The third line of kids. Utilize Virtanens shot and Baertschi natural PP ability. Turn their shots in. Horvat takes the draw for possession and can be a net front presence. Webers cannon on the point and Hamhuis acts as the calming influence. They can also play a more up-paced tempo game.

Our Penalty Kill

PK1

Sutter---Burrows

Edler---Tanev

(Acts as first pairing. Speed, defence, and experience on the PK.)

PK 2

Horvat---Hansen

Hamhuis---Sbisa

(Horvat is good at draws, and we know him and Hansen have chemistry. Use that on the PK)

PK 3

Prust---Dorsett

Hutton---Weber

(Our 2 fourth line grinders come out to shine. Both have played center in the past, so they can alternate faceoffs for strong side)

Those can be some solid special teams.

Is WD trying to troll us? Vrbata specifically signed here to play with the Sedins and instantly clicked with and he doesn't play him there....

I think it was Ian macintire who said vrbata raved about horvats offensive ability and said he would be more than happy playing on his wing.

Prust has been decent on the PK but we have more than a few capable in that role. Other than that not sure how he's earned the right to start opening night. They should scratch Prust and swap Dorsett onto LW and dress Jake

why no jake in lineup???

The games on Wednesday, I'd be surprised if he's not in the lineup.

Like that they are giving sutter more time with the twins, bright idea that could work well when they start to click.

Edit; if they start to click.....

Amazing, Willie and JB. Really surprised they finally came up with something good. Amazing Roster, amazing lines. Only mistake they made is to keep Bartowski. If they like him, they should've waived him. If they waive him in a few weeks because they realize how bad he actually is, he'll get claimed. Now was the time to reward Biega. Also would have liked to have Gaunce over Virtanen. But ok. Can't have it all I guess...

Prust has been decent on the PK but we have more than a few capable in that role. Other than that not sure how he's earned the right to start opening night. They should scratch Prust and swap Dorsett onto LW and dress Jake

We usually run 3 centers and 3 wingers wingers being centers horvate sutter sedin wingers burrows hansen and prust. Sedin is only there for the faceoff so dorsette will replace him after the draw leaving us with nobody. Considering the flames were in the top half in powerplay percentage last year they really shouldn't take any risks in testing out the new guys there and should be eased in when we are playing against a weaker team and work our way up or when we have home ice advantage and can put them against the second unit.

Maybe they are exercising precaution with Jake for his eye.

Still...

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Burrows McCann Hansen

Prust Cracknell Dorsett

looks fine with me. Looks solid all around. I love the depth we have. McCann playing with Burrows and also speedy Hansen could be good for his first. Also, Baertschi Horvat Vrbata could be a lethal second line.

Archived