The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Rebuild ahead of schedule?

*Buzzsaw*

I think to contend for the cup, we are 1D away (Keith, Doughty, Chara, Weber calibre players)

Now the question is, can Horvat and McCann be 1c,2C or do we need a 1c as well?

It would be ideal if all we needed in the next 3 years is a true 1D whole the other first rounders and picks compliment the team rather than needing to be the go to guy.

The biggest challenge of the rebuild will be replacing the Sedins. It's yet to be determined if any of these prospects will be able to replace the production but so far it's looking good. Leadership will be in good hands with Bo looking like he well be a bonafide leader for years to come, and there seems to be no shortage of character players emerging in the system. The D core is suspect and it'll be interesting to see how it shapes up in the coming years, wether or not a solid 1-2 pairing can emerge from this mediocre group of defensive prospects. Goaltending looks good, with Marky looking poised to be a starter, although I could be getting ahead of myself, and a blue chipper in Demko who looks like he has all the tools to be an NHL goaltender. The future looks bright. What's not to like?

I would love to see a scrimmage of Sedin Sedin Burrows go against Baerstchi Horvat Virtanen while both lines go their hardest.

To be honest, I think it could go either way. The Horvat line might be too fast and too strong for the Sedins.

On the other hand, once the Sedins get cycling, Virtanen and Baerstchi might end up running around.

The biggest challenge of the rebuild will be replacing the Sedins. It's yet to be determined if any of these prospects will be able to replace the production but so far it's looking good.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bo turns into a first line centre, it'll be interesting to see what happens with our young wingers.

Behind schedule. Full rebuild means most of the veterans should be gone.

Most of them are. The Sedins, burrows, Hansen, Edler and hamhuis are the only ones left from the old core. On top of that we're likely to see a team with 4 to 5 players with less than two years of nhl experience.

Behind schedule. Full rebuild means most of the veterans should be gone. Those are draft picks that the Canucks should be loading up on.

Disagree.

A good rebuild roster has 65% of the team in the form of veterans.

Otherwise, as has been mentioned, you get the Edmonchuck scenario for the last 4 years with too many rookies and no leadership.

New players have to feel challenged, but with the main responsibility with the vets.

I expect to see more vets traded this season, (maybe even Burrows and Hamhuis... :o ) and more rookies inserted into the lineup.

I would love to see a scrimmage of Sedin Sedin Burrows go against Baerstchi Horvat Virtanen while both lines go their hardest.

To be honest, I think it could go either way. The Horvat line might be too fast and too strong for the Sedins.

On the other hand, once the Sedins get cycling, Virtanen and Baerstchi might end up running around.

Not even a good match up haha, the Sedins would dominate them.

In no way are the Sedins going to get out matched by that line... If that were the case, the Sedins wouldn't be first liners. Don't get me wrong, the kids are good, but nowhere close to the Sedins.

Not even a good match up haha, the Sedins would dominate them.

In no way are the Sedins going to get out matched by that line... If that were the case, the Sedins wouldn't be first liners. Don't get me wrong, the kids are good, but nowhere close to the Sedins.

The twins would be in total control for now. Once the kids matured as a defensive unit, the twins would be ice paste.

Behind schedule currently

Had Benning managed to procure some more picks in the 1st through 3rd rounds this past draft like we've had in recent years I'd still say we're a year behind simply for depth purposes.

We're in need of a guaranteed top pairing D prospect. A top 4 mobility D man, a top 4 crease clearing stay at home boy. Minimum 2 bottom 6 wing prospects to be excited about and a few of the top 6 prospect varieties

Simply put we don't have the depth of prospects yet to be on track. We're starting to integrate prospects yes. But now we've holes in our prospect depth again while we do it.

We're going to need 2016 and 2017's drafts to include an extra pick or three in the first 3 rounds of their respective drafts and then we'll be on track

And when you factor in that thought, the 2005 through 2010 years were absolutely dismal indeed.

That's what drafting/development is all about. Having a verteran LW, having an NHL ready LW to take his place and a prospect LW to develop for 3/4 years

We haven't had that until recently. So imo 2 drafts behind, but right where we should be regardless just lacking the depth of prospects

Depends what you mean by ahead of schedule. IF you mean do we have more players that look NHL ready than the answer is yes. IF you mean are we closer to winning a Stanley Cup with those players than the answer is no

What?? If those players that were thought to have been sub-NHL level are found to be at the NHL level, then doesn't that at least get us one step closer to winning a Stanley cup? Like, compare current situation to the scenario where McCann turned out to been a bust, Hutton was like any other 5th round pick, and Gaunce failed to increase his level of play slowly but surely... I'd say we are definitely close to winning the Stanley cup than we were say at the beginning of the training camp.

Behind schedule currently

Had Benning managed to procure some more picks in the 1st through 3rd rounds this past draft like we've had in recent years I'd still say we're a year behind simply for depth purposes.

We're in need of a guaranteed top pairing D prospect. A top 4 mobility D man, a top 4 crease clearing stay at home boy. Minimum 2 bottom 6 wing prospects to be excited about and a few of the top 6 prospect varieties

Simply put we don't have the depth of prospects yet to be on track. We're starting to integrate prospects yes. But now we've holes in our prospect depth again while we do it.

We're going to need 2016 and 2017's drafts to include an extra pick or three in the first 3 rounds of their respective drafts and then we'll be on track

And when you factor in that thought, the 2005 through 2010 years were absolutely dismal indeed.

That's what drafting/development is all about. Having a verteran LW, having an NHL ready LW to take his place and a prospect LW to develop for 3/4 years

We haven't had that until recently. So imo 2 drafts behind, but right where we should be regardless just lacking the depth of prospects

You valuation is interesting. Are we behind because Gillis was the worst GM at the draft in history, or is there another reason?

Archived