The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Rebuild ahead of schedule?

*Buzzsaw*

Not according to Frank:

Canucks sophomore Bo Horvat will emerge as one of the top two-way players in the NHL, doubling his point total. Horvat, 20, posted 25 points last year and missed the first month of the season. He also won an impressive 51.3 per cent of his face-offs against a particularly tough crop of centres in the Pacific. The Canucks as a whole, though, will slide to the bottom of the division with a thin defence and a roster lacking a real identity.

http://www.tsn.ca/30-bold-team-predictions-for-the-nhl-season-1.371841

More doom and gloom. Perfect -- nothing will be expected of the Canucks again this year. As for identity, that will start to emerge this year with all the kids coming onboard.

After some bad decisions made by the management last season (ex. Sbisa contract), I wasn't expecting them to make the decisions they have made so far for this year. Which means we are ahead of my expectations for the rebuild for sure. 3 prospects making in right now, is a huge step forward.

After some bad decisions made by the management last season (ex. Sbisa contract), I wasn't expecting them to make the decisions they have made so far for this year. Which means we are ahead of my expectations for the rebuild for sure. 3 prospects making in right now, is a huge step forward.

Pssst.. It's not a rebuild, old news is going to get pissy again. The proper title is a "retooling that has every appearance of being a rebuild... but it's not".

We should probably get the op to change the title to "Is what appears to be a rebuild but it's not ahead of schedule"

I'm sorry old news...... Ok I'll make you feel better. We are NOT rebuilding, were retooling!!!

Better?

Odd how much our retool looks like rebuild?

Meh. You could take your own advice and not bother wasting both of our time by responding to my posts.

Call it whatever makes you happy Nino.

I would love to see a scrimmage of Sedin Sedin Burrows go against Baerstchi Horvat Virtanen while both lines go their hardest.

To be honest, I think it could go either way. The Horvat line might be too fast and too strong for the Sedins.

On the other hand, once the Sedins get cycling, Virtanen and Baerstchi might end up running around.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows win that match up 9 times out of 10. Those kids had a good game, but the sedins are elite players.

Behind schedule. Full rebuild means most of the veterans should be gone. Those are draft picks that the Canucks should be loading up on.

So basically full rebuild is Edmonton. No vets to guide the rookies. No teamwork for a few years until enough 1st overall picks are accumulated?

I don't think one can really determine how fast a rebuilding should go. In fact, we're retooling more than rebuilding if you think about it. We still have the Sedins, etc, afterall.

If anything some players are developing ahead of schedule, which is great to see. It's really looking like Benning's fixing the holes (and not just plugging them) of our developmental system. A scout as a GM has so far proven to be quite beneficial.

EDIT: I also think the fact that Linden lives here makes a huge difference too. He's seen what's happened without the Canucks organization and isn't just a fresh set of eyes and ears. He can learn from the mistakes our previous management has made much easier than if someone out-of-town came in to be president in my opinion.

Why don;t we wait and see after 9 NHL games and see if the kids are still around, then we can figure this out. Have to remember Higgins will be back, so where does that leave them

Needing to make a trade if the kids are working out.

Why don;t we wait and see after 9 NHL games and see if the kids are still around, then we can figure this out. Have to remember Higgins will be back, so where does that leave them

With Sutter moving back to centre, and Cracknell in the press box, or on waivers.

Definitely ahead with the emergence of Horvat outplaying Sutter for 2C and Hutton McCann and Virtanen outplaying Kenins, Vey, Corrado who management had pencilled in the roster. It's not that those guys crapped the bed, they played how we expected them to play, it's just that our youngsters exceeded expectations.

We won't know until the regular season begins.

The thing that is going to set us back is the Sedins retiring. We can jump up and have one last shot at the Cup with them here, but we're going to fall hard for a year or two after they retire.

If we can get one more Rock solid young defender in the next 3 years and our prospects keep developing at the rapid pace they are I could see one more decent shot at the cup before the Sedins Retire.

In 3 years

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (probably more like a second line by now)

Baertshi - Horvat - Virtanen (If these guys live up to potential this could be a dominating line)

Gaunce - Mccaan - Hansen (Scoring and incredibly hard to play against)

Dorsett - Sutter - x (Having Sutter as a 4th line center is an incredible deep team)

Cassels ( who knows how good Cassels will be, to early to tell)

Hutton -Tanev (In 3 years I can see this being an elite pairing)

Edler - Hamhuis (Vets keeping it real)

x - x ( A young stud D and a good depth guy here would work wonders, I'm hoping Vrbata gets traded this year for a guy like Theodore from Anaheim)

Markstrom

If we can get one more Rock solid young defender in the next 3 years and our prospects keep developing at the rapid pace they are I could see one more decent shot at the cup before the Sedins Retire.

In 3 years

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (probably more like a second line by now)

Baertshi - Horvat - Virtanen (If these guys live up to potential this could be a dominating line)

Gaunce - Mccaan - Hansen (Scoring and incredibly hard to play against)

Dorsett - Sutter - x (Having Sutter as a 4th line center is an incredible deep team)

Cassels ( who knows how good Cassels will be, to early to tell)

Hutton -Tanev (In 3 years I can see this being an elite pairing)

Edler - Hamhuis (Vets keeping it real)

x - x ( A young stud D and a good depth guy here would work wonders, I'm hoping Vrbata gets traded this year for a guy like Theodore from Anaheim)

Markstrom

If be willing to bet that a lot of your lineup is gone in three years.

Definitely ahead of schedule.

They probably hoped Gaunce and Virtanen would be pushing for spots, but definitely not McCann and Hutton.

Remember what Benning said when he first came in. Not only were the Canucks lacking top prospects in the 18-19 year old range, but also the mid 20 years olds to bridge the gap. That is why he brought in Vey, Bonino, Sbisa to buy some time instead of going full rebuild.

Now the kids have outplayed those mid 20 year olds in preseason and Benning has a good problem to have.

It is too early to tell right now how the rebuild is working out. We will have a better idea as the trade deadline approaches.

But I have to say I am very impressing by Benning and Linden. Like many others I was sure that the Canucks would keep Vey and Corrado on the roster and sent Hutton to the minors and McCann to junior.

But I was wrong. Everyone could see that Hutton, McCann and Virtanen deserved to make the team on merit. And of course Benning and Linden said that the young guys would stay on the team if they earned it, but I thought that was just the usual meaningless stuff that all GMs say. It turns out that Benning and Linden meant what they said. I am very impressed.

I am still not sure how the Canucks will do this year. The Division will be very tough and the young guys still have a long way to go to reach their potential and could have a tough year. But the long run looks good.

Archived