The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Pre Season Winners and Losers?

HC20.0

With the preseason over, and all of us waiting with baited breath for the final roster cuts, as well as Wednesday, who would you say the winners/losers of the preseason were? Who impressed you, and who didn't?

My Winners:

McCann. Exceeded everybody's expactations. This kid stole the whole show. Fantastic preseason.

Horvat. No signs at all of slowing down, but instead signs of being an even better player. Could become a better Kesler before we know it!

Hutton. Where did this guy come from? Like McCann, he stole the show! Who knew we had a great D prospect in him?

Baertschi. Didn't get points till we played Edmonton, however, still looked great in the preseason. Proved he's NHL ready.

Markstrom. What a turn around for this guy. Just dominated in net!

Gaunce. Might have gotten sent back for now, but certainly not because he had a bad preseason. He will definitely be on this squad at some point this year.

Pedan. Started picking it up I felt, and he looked solid. I doubt it's the last we see of him yet.

Almost forgot Virtanen. He really picked up his game and played well enough to definitely earn a spot on the opening roster.

The Bad.

Shinkaruk. Had a good game against Calgary, but a disappointing camp overall. Played pretty poorly.

Kenins. What happened to Rockin Ronnie? Figured this guy was a lock for the team. Very, very underwhelming.

Jensen. Bust status is slowly creeping up on him. Like Shink, had one good game, but really poor overall. Older though, and the clock is ticking for him.

The Veterans. Played so unmotivated this preseason, didn't take the games seriously at all while the Kids were working their asses off. They deserved the bag skate WD gave them.

Higgins. First game and he breaks his foot. Ouch.

Grenier. I think we all expected more from Grenier after he looked great in Utica last year. Kind of disappointing.

Hamhuis. Looking like Bieksa last year. Losing a step definitely.

Corrado. This was his year to make a name for himself, and he did not do that at all. Massively underachieved.

Vey. Enough said.

With the preseason over, and all of us waiting with baited breath for the final roster cuts, as well as Wednesday, who would you say the winners/losers of the preseason were? Who impressed you, and who didn't?

My Winners:

McCann. Exceeded everybody's expactations. This kid stole the whole show. Fantastic preseason.

Horvat. No signs at all of slowing down, but instead signs of being an even better player. Could become a better Kesler before we know it!

Hutton. Where did this guy come from? Like McCann, he stole the show! Who knew we had a great D prospect in him?

Baertschi. Didn't get points till we played Edmonton, however, still looked great in the preseason. Proved he's NHL ready.

Gaunce. Might have gotten sent back for now, but certainly not because he had a bad preseason. He will definitely be on this squad at some point this year.

Pedan. Started picking it up I felt, and he looked solid. I doubt it's the last we see of him yet.

The Bad.

Shinkaruk. Had a good game against Calgary, but a disappointing camp overall. Played pretty poorly.

Kenins. What happened to Rockin Ronnie? Figured this guy was a lock for the team. Very, very underwhelming.

Jensen. Bust status is slowly creeping up on him. Like Shink, had one good game, but really poor overall. Older though, and the clock is ticking for him.

The Veterans. Played so unmotivated this preseason, didn't take the games seriously at all while the Kids were working their asses off. They deserved the bag skate WD gave them.

Grenier. I think we all expected more from Grenier after he looked great in Utica last year. Kind of disappointing.

Corrado. This was his year to make a name for himself, and he did not do that at all. Massively underachieved.

Vey. Enough said.

Do you think we should trade Hammer, while he still has value, or wait till the deadline and hope he's playing half decent?

Do you think we should trade Hammer, while he still has value, or wait till the deadline and hope he's playing half decent?

I'd wait till the deadline, just because there will be desperate teams willing to over pay. He might be worth more then.

My Winners:

Almost forgot Virtanen. He really picked up his game and played well enough to definitely earn a spot on the opening roster.

The Bad.

Vey. Enough said.

We're the winners. Looks like a bright future for our canucks.

What I've learned over the years is things can change in a heartbeat and to ride the wave.

I'm really happy that some energy has been infused into the line up...let's face it, young guys live and breathe the game and they have little else to distract them. As players age, it's more of a job and there is the tug of family and wear and tear on the body that factor in. So it's nice to have some players who have to battle for their spots and are completely invested in things.

Not that the veterans aren't...but I'd imagine it becomes routine over time and I honestly wonder if burn out (from travel, etc.) can play a role in things.

Preseason has to translate to regular season to have any meaning at all.

I'm sliding Burr and Dorset into the winners side.

I dont think Shinkaruk was that bad, he was sent down after his best game, management just knows he wasn't going to supplant Baertschi so they sent him down to Utica early to get more experience in their camp. He is going to be a huge part of that team and we will definitely see him at some point this season I think. Too many veteran contracts.

Archived