The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11 Year Old Boy Straight-Up Murders 8 Year old Girl with Dads Shotgun Over Puppies

hsedin33

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/10/05/11-year-old-charged-with-murdering-8-year-old-after-arguing-about-puppies/

11-year-old charged with murdering 8-year-old after argument about puppies
By Elahe Izadi October 5 at 4:44 PM

An argument between two children over puppies turned tragic Saturday when an 11-year-old boy killed his 8-year-old neighbor with a shotgun, according to authorities in Jefferson County, Tenn.

The 11-year-old has been charged with first-degree murder in the girl’s death, Jefferson County Sheriff Bud McCoig told The Washington Post. Authorities aren’t releasing the names of either child, but Latasha Dyer told ABC affiliate WATE that her daughter, McKayla, was killed.

“She was a precious little girl,” Dyer said through tears in an on-air interview with WATE. “She was a mommy’s girl. No matter how bad of a mood you were in, she could always make you smile.”

Each of the children had a puppy, the sheriff said. The 11-year-old “wanted to see the 8-year-old’s, and she said no, and then he went and retrieved a gun,” McCoig said.

The boy fired the 12-gauge shotgun from inside of his house, striking the girl as she stood in her yard, according to the sheriff. The gun, which was stored in a closet without locks, belonged to the boy’s father, McCoig said.

When first responders and police arrived on the scene Saturday night, they found the girl “lying on the ground with a gunshot to the chest,” McCoig said. She was taken to an area hospital, where she died from her injuries.

[Young people are far more likely to die by guns than in cars]

On Monday, a judge ordered the boy to be held in a juvenile facility pending his next court hearing, on Oct. 28; the case could later be transferred to adult court, McCoig said.

Saturday’s killing, which came just two days after a mass school shooting in rural Oregon, has rocked the small community of White Pine, Tenn. Both children attended White Pine School, which teaches students from kindergarten through eighth grade, principal Bill Walker said.

“We remember her smile and her beautiful face,” Walker told reporters Monday. “Our normal has changed.”

[Where in America do gun owners live?]

Dyer told Knoxville’s WATE TV that she had previously approached the school principal about the 11-year-old bullying her daughter.

“When we first moved White Pine, the little boy was bullying McKayla. He was making fun of her, calling her names, just being mean to her,” Dyer said Sunday. “I had to go to the principal about him, and then he quit for awhile. And then all of a sudden yesterday, he shot her.”

Walker declined to confirm to reporters on Monday that Dyer talked to him about bullying, citing the ongoing investigation.

[How often do children in the U.S. unintentionally shoot and kill people? We don’t know.]

Counselors were at the school to support students and staff in the aftermath of the shooting.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with those involved from both families,” Walker said, according to WATE. “It’s not just the school that’s hurting; it’s the whole community.”

McCoig said the killing has taken a toll on his investigators. “We only get through it by the grace of God,” he said.

---

Irresponsible parents and gun owners at their worst. The owner of the gun should go to jail for life, as for the kid, I don't even know anymore.

Maybe, the way I see it they're trying to pin the blame on the father -the 'rightful owner' of the guns- while eloquently placing endearing quotes from the mother in there to soften up her story.

Did I miss something?

The mother mentioned in the article is the victims mother, not the boys mother.

How do you charge an 11 year old with first degree murder? The child should be put into a mental rehabilitation program and the owner of the shotgun (his father) should be charged for neglegence and allowing an 11 year old to have access to the firearm.

Ugh there is so much wrong with this story.

An innocent and very young life was lost.

The child who shot the girl clearly has not been brought up properly and lacks adequate parenting in his life.

The dad is a disgrace and gives firearm owners a bad name. A firearm and it's ammuntion should never be within reach to anyone other than the owner.

The first and pretty much only people I see here needing the finger pointed (and the book thrown) at them is the boy's parents. At 11 years old parents should be responsible for their child's actions and of course responsible for how their firearms are stored and handled in the home.

A tragedy that could have easily been avoided.

I hate when people don't let you play with their puppy.

I'm just wondering if he got to see it after all that effort.

RIP to the girl, btw.

How do you charge an 11 year old with first degree murder? The child should be put into a mental rehabilitation program and the owner of the shotgun (his father) should be charged for neglegence and allowing an 11 year old to have access to the firearm.

Ugh there is so much wrong with this story.

An innocent and very young life was lost.

The child who shot the girl clearly has not been brought up properly and lacks adequate parenting in his life.

The dad is a disgrace and gives firearm owners a bad name. A firearm and it's ammuntion should never be within reach to anyone other than the owner.

The first and pretty much only people I see here needing the finger pointed (and the book thrown) at them is the boy's parents. At 11 years old parents should be responsible for their child's actions and of course responsible for how their firearms are stored and handled in the home.

A tragedy that could have easily been avoided.

Excellent post. +1.

Not the first time and not the last time it will happen.. People just don't learn.

At least everyone I know that owns guns keeps them in a gun safe, with trigger locks and if it is a bolt action the bolt removed and stored separately.

But I know that doing so removes The for personal protection aspect of a firearm.

Get a house alarm...

Sadly the fact this happened doesn't surprise me. We have all herd it before.

Sad that the little girl died and the fact that due to poor choices by an adult many lives will now be ruined and one completely gone.

Guns need to be regulated in a similar way as seatbelts are.

Seatbelts infringe on people's individual rights in that they have no impact on other people. Even though it is something that used to be an individual decision, government realized that they could protect the lives of many people by restricting this right.

Why is it that guns (which DO have the ability to impact other people) are not restricted in a similar way?

Guns need to be regulated in a similar way as seatbelts are.

Seatbelts infringe on people's individual rights in that they have no impact on other people. Even though it is something that used to be an individual decision, government realized that they could protect the lives of many people by restricting this right.

Why is it that guns (which DO have the ability to impact other people) are not restricted in a similar way?

Well, let's take the situation in Oregon. A guy got a gun into a no-gun zone. Effectively ripping his seatbelt out of its socket and whipping it around the car. What happens then?

On that note, it's not a gun problem that America has. It's a heart problem.

Archived