The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11 Year Old Boy Straight-Up Murders 8 Year old Girl with Dads Shotgun Over Puppies

hsedin33

Guns need to be regulated in a similar way as seatbelts are.

Seatbelts infringe on people's individual rights in that they have no impact on other people. Even though it is something that used to be an individual decision, government realized that they could protect the lives of many people by restricting this right.

Why is it that guns (which DO have the ability to impact other people) are not restricted in a similar way?

So we'll need a license to have seatbelts?!?

Are you MADDDD!??

This'll just lead to a black market of seatbelts. You'll go to some seedy area of town and talk to your dealer and end up with some ratty old and pre-crashed seatbelt from an 80s Buick or something instead of the modern seatbelts we have now.

Well, let's take the situation in Oregon. A guy got a gun into a no-gun zone. Effectively ripping his seatbelt out of its socket and whipping it around the car. What happens then?

On that note, it's not a gun problem that America has. It's a heart problem.

You're never going to prevent 100% of something, but by regulating it, you reduce the likelyhood.

How do you charge an 11 year old with first degree murder? The child should be put into a mental rehabilitation program and the owner of the shotgun (his father) should be charged for neglegence and allowing an 11 year old to have access to the firearm.

Ugh there is so much wrong with this story.

An innocent and very young life was lost.

The child who shot the girl clearly has not been brought up properly and lacks adequate parenting in his life.

The dad is a disgrace and gives firearm owners a bad name. A firearm and it's ammuntion should never be within reach to anyone other than the owner.

The first and pretty much only people I see here needing the finger pointed (and the book thrown) at them is the boy's parents. At 11 years old parents should be responsible for their child's actions and of course responsible for how their firearms are stored and handled in the home.

A tragedy that could have easily been avoided.

While I agree with most of what you said, the 11 year old has demonstrated that he is incapable of living in society regardless of who is to blame for his upbringing.

At 11 I was fully aware of right and wrong especially when it came to something as clear cut as murder.

He should be tried for first degree murder because that is what he did. He premeditated that he was going to go into the house, get the gun and shoot the girl. These are the actions of a murderer plain and simple.

I do hope he gets the psychiatric help he so desperately needs, but that doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't be reintegrated into society.

The parents should and will be punished for their part in this but ultimately, the boy got angry, the boy grabbed the gun, and the boy pulled the trigger. That is where the majority of the blame should go and the finger pointing starts there.

I am sure many psychopaths, murderers, serial killers etc. had horrible parents but in the end they are responsible for their actions, not their parents.

Put the blame, responsibility, punishment where it should go first, to the one who committed the crime, then to the parties that enabled that crime to happen.

Shocking !!! a School play on Scareface. What was this school thinking !!

I read some of the comments on the school play. Sounds like it may have been a 'comedy sketch' and not a school play. I don't think now days anybody would get away with doing that in a school. Then again, USA so who the Heck knows.

RIP to the little girl.

I read some of the comments on the school play. Sounds like it may have been a 'comedy sketch' and not a school play. I don't think now days anybody would get away with doing that in a school. Then again, USA so who the Heck knows.

RIP to the little girl.

I just found it very inappropriate for children that age to be even doing the play. the story line is right on point the only thing that is changed is the language from A R-rated to a PG 13 or higher. The little kid playing Tony Montana shoots the other kid with a toy gun.

I just found it very inappropriate for children that age to be even doing the play. the story line is right on point the only thing that is changed is the language from A R-rated to a PG 13 or higher. The little kid playing Tony Montana shoots the other kid with a toy gun.

Gun advocates: 'This could all have been avoided if the 8 year old girl had access to a gun.'

I know it's just poking fun at dumb gun advocates, but sadly, even if she did have a gun and knew how to use it, and she was much older and experienced at guns, the girl would have had absolutely zero chance for her defending herself. The boy shot her out of a window. She could of had a .50 cal machine gun strapped to her hip and it would have made no difference. This is why that whole 'arm everyone' argument doesn't work, because the person who is going to shoot will just do it without any prior warning. Its not like the old west where people go out and dual at dawn on a level playing field.

By the time you see a gun pointed at you its too late.

Guns need to be regulated in a similar way as seatbelts are.

Seatbelts infringe on people's individual rights in that they have no impact on other people. Even though it is something that used to be an individual decision, government realized that they could protect the lives of many people by restricting this right.

Why is it that guns (which DO have the ability to impact other people) are not restricted in a similar way?

because for some people, infringing on their rights is equivalent to infringing on their liberty (no coincidence that many pro gun supporters adhere to some form of libertarianism) guaranteed by the constitution (second amendment).

statistics say that gun you have to protect your family is far more likely to accidentally kill you or a family member. I feel safer already.

You can't say this to a gun owner. They all say the same thing, that it'll never happen to them. Until it does. Sigh

statistics say that gun you have to protect your family is far more likely to accidentally kill you or a family member. I feel safer already.

That is what statistics say. Lack of training and planning is most likely the reason as to why they accidentally kill a family member and not the intruder.

Do you rely solely on the cops? They are not going to be there in time, they show up when it is over and do the investigation.

Eh, I see your point. I just don't live in a constant state of fear where I think people are going to burst in my place and tie me up. Call me naive. Even if I had a gun I most likely wouldn't have it ready to 'aim and fire' at a moments notice anyway.

Archived