The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nucks 5 - Flames 1

TheRussianRocket.

defense will have a better transition game this season, this will be HUGE

also the 4th line played a heavy game, something we haven't had for a long time

vrby will be fine as he is a 1 shot scorer and he had good looks tonight so eventually they will go in, had a tap in empty net goal if not for the bouncing puck

Really liked McCann tonight! Quick decisions, passes on the tape, sees and thinks the game well, comes back fast and hard! Outstanding presence for a 19 year old!

Agreed. He looked like a rookie playing his first NHL game, but didn't look out of place. He made some nice plays and didn't make any noticeably bad ones. If he can sort things out in the next few he could keep that 3C spot much like Horvat did with the 4th (which became essentially the 2nd/3rd line by the end) last season.

Everyone looked on the same page tonight, Only person that looked lost at times was Sbisa had a couple of bad turnovers one of them leading to the flames lone goal. Hutton and McCann pretty much did what they have been doing all pre-season which is awesome to see. Looking forward to seeing Virt in the lineup soon.

Canucks made quick smart passes and outskated the flames most shifts (little lapse in the 2nd). Powerplay looked dangerous and had lots of shots. I like Horvat and Vrbata togther, that's going to produce and Bo had some great shots tonight. Sedins were dominant.

Great start to the season.

figured you guys might wanna read this in case you missed it in GDT. Henrik on Hutton...

The players want Hutton on the team

OK, we know it wasn’t all glory for Hutton

That RNH play was planet earth. Hutton is going to make mistakes. But when the Canucks needed a goal, Hutton got the play moving from the Canucks end. He is smart, fast and has the ability to make big-time plays.

These are things any team needs, but this defence is screaming for it

The coach wouldn’t acknowledge that part after the game, but know this, it’s being talked about all over that locker room.

Hutton gives the Canucks blueline a different feel, and changes the dynamic of what they can do.

The players want him to make it.

“As well as tonight, he’s been the key in the games I’ve watched and haven’t played,” Henrik said. “When we take over games, it’s when our D starts skating.

“The way he can skate, from standing still to three steps, how fast he is able to get to top speed is amazing.”

Uh, when has Henrik ever called anything amazing?

The Gman then asked Henrik if he could live with Huttons mistakes this season.

“I look at him the same way I look at Alex (Edler’s) first year. He’s a big guy who can skate, and make plays,” Henrik said.

“He’s going to make plays and along the way he’s going to make mistakes.

“But if he plays with the right player, it’s going to be covered up.”

As endorsements go, this is about as good as it gets.

I don't think you'll hear Henrik come out and say anything more than that. I don't know what Willie's opinion on Hutton is, and it may be the same, but either way when your #1 player/ team captain/ 15 year vet wants a player on the team, you play him. Hutton's staying as long as he plays well, and so far he has deserved it.

Everyone looked on the same page tonight, Only person that looked lost at times was Sbisa had a couple of bad turnovers one of them leading to the flames lone goal. Hutton and McCann pretty much did what they have been doing all pre-season which is awesome to see. Looking forward to seeing Virt in the lineup soon.

sbisa wasn't the only d to cough up the puck tonight. He just seems to invoke more wrath than others when he does

I don't get it

I like sbisa. I think Kevin Bieksa was way worse throughout his career for that.

Way to go team....the best part of that hockey game was it was a team effort. team toughness at the correct time i thought and the canucks did not get pushed around...thats what it takes it will be good to send a message to rest of the nhl..canucks will play smart tough hockey or they will settle it the old fashion way....no cheap shots and dirty plays by the canucks and only couple of bad penalties....nice win..WE ARE ALL CANUCks

Good game by the entire team,..even Sbisa (despite the weak clearing attempt that led to a goal,he had a good game)....For whatever reason,Bo's line mates (Sven and Vrby) were anonymous for the first half of the game...Baertschi redeemed himself in the late 2nd and 3rd with some sick passing.

Biggest surprise was Prust..great effort and fearless play..he had a strong game.

Archived