The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expectations for Sbisa?

Sixteen W's

So with this in mind it would only be fair if then Edler (and the others)was held to the same standard........ right? Geesh you guys act like he makes the only mistakes out there, start watching the other players as well.

Maybe he should stop making handful of mistakes EVERY game then he wouldn't be hated as much.

Maybe he should stop making handful of mistakes EVERY game then he wouldn't be hated as much.

Maybe you should look at every player with the same scrutiny.

Sibisa's backhand up the boards was not a mistake, that clown of a commentator either has never watched hockey or he didn't pay attention. That move tends to have a high success rate, certainly from games I have watched.

Sibisa is a muti talented player and if anything (like Bieksa) he tries too hard to make things happen for the team.

Maybe that has something to do with being thrust into playing 39 games for Philly in the same year as his draft, at the age of 18. And he is still only 25.

Morons on here should get off his back and try looking at all the good stuff he does instead of continually looking for the few things they consider to be "mistakes"

One game and you are already on him. I didn't think he was any worse than anyone else out there. Yes that play along the boards resulted in a goal and he could have made a better play, but it was nowhere as bad as Dannyboys gift in the slot, which could have easily resulted in anther goal.

Also remember, he is playing with a rookie, and as good as I think Hutton is and will be, it was his first game, and their first game together in the real season.

Stop being so hyper-critical of Sbisa and take a more balanced view to all the defence. They all make mistakes.

Expectations of Sbisa ... a dangerous thread to start

-he'll skate well, handle the puck ok and be active between the whistle and the faceoff in shoving, pushing, slashing a little

-he'll make some hits

-he'll be strong battling for the puck and in front of the net

-he'll normally defend ok, sometimes quite well especially one on one

-there will continue to be occasions when his decision making will be a letdown, whether it's not taking his man in the defensive zone, losing the puck or not making a move to contribute in the offensive zone. Some nights those will hardly be noticeable without watching carefully.

-he'll chip in a little offensively but it won't be a strength

So mostly he'll look ok, sometimes look quite impressive, and there will be times where unimpressive decision making will show.

WD's choice of defensive pairings to begin the season are interesting. Hutton's natural decision making and puck moving appear at this early stage of his career to be really good which might help Sbisa's game quite a bit by reducing the pressure brought by the opponents somewhat. I really wish for Hutton's development that as a rookie he was with a solid vet who is himself a good decision maker, but his natural style does seem to make him a decent choice as Sbisa's defensive partner and they could do ok as a pair.

He's aggressive, if not mean-spirited, which I really like about him. He's probably our only D man other teams have to worry about skating around with their heads down (although on days when Edler woke up on the wrong side of the bed he can be deadly - he almost killed Johnny Hockey last night).

Sbisa is above-average in skating and passing, but his decision making with the puck constantly gets him in trouble. He can be slick, but he's always trying to be slick. Part of being clever, is being clever enough to know when to try it. Peeling back when he should have played it around the boards, etc. Too often to gives up the simple play, the play his teammates are expecting him to make, to try to make something happen. It's great to look off a forecheck and peel off, but if no one on the ice is expecting it, you haven't created anything. He's almost too confident, and too selfish, for his own good.

He's more Chris Tanev than I think he'd like to be. He seems to want to be the QB all the time.

I will take a guy on the Canucks roster who plays with courage, isn't afraid, is willing to initiate plays and take risks over a player who cowers in the corner (Vrbata and Vey) six days a week and twice on Sundays.

I will always cheer on a guy who tries to make something happen...consequence of this is that mistakes will be made. Hockey is a microcosm of life...you have ZERO chance of greatness without taking some risk.

In spite of losing Bieksa and still being one of the smallest teams in the NHL, the Canucks of 2015-2016 has a chit load more swagger than it did last season and Sbisa is part of the reason why that is the case.

If your going to bitch about Sbisa all the time, maybe have a look at Edler's game. He hasn't hit anyone in 2 years, cannot find a lane ever, keeps getting shots blocked, his stupid all to common drop pass that every player knows he's gonna do, and with his contract.

They should be looking at getting a 1st for him come deadline.

I predict Sbisa will get 4G 17A for 21PTS and will be minus 11. He will have averaged 18 min. a game and will continue to be a whipping boy and receive accolades at the same time. Within the season he will sit for 2 games for contact to the head in a controversial call.

Expectations of Sbisa ... a dangerous thread to start

-he'll skate well, handle the puck ok and be active between the whistle and the faceoff in shoving, pushing, slashing a little

-he'll make some hits

-he'll be strong battling for the puck and in front of the net

-he'll normally defend ok, sometimes quite well especially one on one

-there will continue to be occasions when his decision making will be a letdown, whether it's not taking his man in the defensive zone, losing the puck or not making a move to contribute in the offensive zone. Some nights those will hardly be noticeable without watching carefully.

-he'll chip in a little offensively but it won't be a strength

So mostly he'll look ok, sometimes look quite impressive, and there will be times where unimpressive decision making will show.

WD's choice of defensive pairings to begin the season are interesting. Hutton's natural decision making and puck moving appear at this early stage of his career to be really good which might help Sbisa's game quite a bit by reducing the pressure brought by the opponents somewhat. I really wish for Hutton's development that as a rookie he was with a solid vet who is himself a good decision maker, but his natural style does seem to make him a decent choice as Sbisa's defensive partner and they could do ok as a pair.

Great post, right on the money!

Besides Sbisa's poor clearing attempt (which led to a goal),he had a good game....Did anyone notice Dan Hamhuis' pizza tonight?

Lack of communication led to the goal. He went to curl left and there was a Flame there. So he reverses and curls right and there's another Flame right there. He doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. Somebody should have been calling to him to play it hard around the boards.

Here's what happend on that goal that no one is mentioning. Hutton made a really bad flat-footed pinch. That led to Sbisa picking the puck up in a bad position where he had no outlet passes and was outnumberd by Calagary's top line. His only options were low percentage plays.

If you don't like a player, you are more likely to nitpick every little thing they do.... Sbisa

If you like a player, you will overlook many stupid plays they make.

Sbisa hasn't been that bad this year, im actually very happy he's trending upwards, last year was ugly but it's alot of pressure coming to Van. We have some of the most overly critical fans in the NHL.

The media has made him their whipping boy because it makes good copy. They completely ignore everything good he does and blast him for any small mistake. A good example is my comment above. Not one media member mentioned the bad pinch by Hutton that lead to the giveaway. Hutton and Sbisa were equally at fault yet according to the media it was all of Sbisa. It’s clear evidence of their bias.

Besides Sbisa's poor clearing attempt (which led to a goal),he had a good game....Did anyone notice Dan Hamhuis' pizza tonight?

totally accurate .. I am not sure why people have such a hard on for this guy.. he's still a kid , give it a rest people .

He is terrible. My post has nothing to do with last nights game, but what I have surmised from every game I have seen him play in is that he is soft, makes bad decisions when pressured, and just doesn't look like hes trying as hard as anyone else.

And also.. how do you comment even somewhat positively on what kind of start hes had? Its been 1 game and he had a brutally soft giveaway (something that has plagued this team for years) that made it a 1 goal game and could have ended up letting Calgary take over momentum. The same type of play that he made 100000000000 times in a 5 game series last season.

So to answer the question, I would be happy if we went back in time, sent him through wavers (to be claimed by some unsuspecting team) and kept any other defense man in his place.

If he can play a reliable defensive game and put up 20-25 points, I'd be pretty happy. I also want him to keep the physical side of his game going.

At 3.6 Mil, I'm not expecting a Norris, mistakes will happen here and there, but if he can get to a place where I'm not nervous that he's on the ice, I'd call that a win.

He is terrible. My post has nothing to do with last nights game, but what I have surmised from every game I have seen him play in is that he is soft, makes bad decisions when pressured, and just doesn't look like hes trying as hard as anyone else.

And also.. how do you comment even somewhat positively on what kind of start hes had? Its been 1 game and he had a brutally soft giveaway (something that has plagued this team for years) that made it a 1 goal game and could have ended up letting Calgary take over momentum. The same type of play that he made 100000000000 times in a 5 game series last season.

So to answer the question, I would be happy if we went back in time, sent him through wavers (to be claimed by some unsuspecting team) and kept any other defense man in his place.

You need either an eye-check or to get your TV serviced. What a load.

Your tv must have been broken on this one.

oops and this one too.

He can throw a hard hit on the boards and get involved. We need some size with experience out there.

Though I can't say he was one of my favorite players last year, I say give him a second chance before the thread bashing.

The potential is there.

Archived