The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expectations for Sbisa?

Sixteen W's

Did I mention Sbisa? I like him as a player. I personally prefer his current game to Hamhuis. Why do people pick on Sbisa?

I think you misunderstood my post, or maybe you didnt but for the purpose of clarification, Nor am i arguing with your opinion of Sbisa as a player neither am i picking on him. I am simply stating the reason as to why people pick on Sbisa; simply because he is the new scapegoat for this fanbase, anything that goes wrong is blamed on him.

For a rookie 1st season Bo acquitted himself rather well.Bo didn't get a sniff of powerplay time and took important faceoff's as the season progressed and in the playoffs, Hansen comes and goes (esp after his shoulder injury) but doesn't really hit anymore so he should finish on some of those breakaways and focus on scoring and forechecking this year.

I think this year Bo scores more with Vrbata plus he's not on the 4th line anymore.

For a rookie 1st season Bo acquitted himself rather well.Bo didn't get a sniff of powerplay time and took important faceoff's as the season progressed and in the playoffs, Hansen comes and goes (esp after his shoulder injury) but doesn't really hit anymore so he should finish on some of those breakaways and focus on scoring and forechecking this year.

I think this year Bo scores more with Vrbata plus he's not on the 4th line anymore.

I am watching Vrbata with interest. He went cold with the Twins and WD ended up putting Burrows back

on their wing. Vrbata did not do a lot with Bonino as the season wound down and nothing in playoffs.

Horvat made everyone who played with him better last year. Hoping he can rev Vrbata up for a nice

trade deal come March.

I don't think it was as much Vrbata going cold as it was the opposition keying on him after 15 or so games. Hank admitted as much, saying that he and Daniel were trying so hard to set up Vrby as the trigger man that Daniel's output suffered, and when the opposition studied the tapes in adbance of a game, saw this, they then just keyed on Vrby to shut him down. WD then switched to Burrows, who gives an entirely different look to that line (as does Sutter)

I agree that the Vrbata/Bonino chemistry lacked something - but as Vrby has gone public lobbying to be on a line with Horvat, I assume he will be motivated to excell

My expectations for Luca?

4 goals with 12 assists, +4, and will work himself onto the 2nd unit pp

Pretty reasonable expectations. I hope over the season he learns to make better decisions with and without the puck. If he can continue to improve on that I think he'll be a fine #4 for us.

Sbisa can't box out, Sbisa can't make good passes, Sbisa is a turn over machine. This thread is full of delusional fans; I'm sorry let's be honest for once and admit that Sbisa s one damn bad defenceman who deserves to be waived or traded asap. If he ever gets hot trade him rite away

Pretty sure mostly everyone is pretty honest about how much he sucks.

Sbisa needs to just give the puck to Hutton asap.

There was a cpl shifts last night where the play just died in the canucks zone over and over when it went to Luca.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw the forwards avoiding safe passes to him that would've gone to another player. Just because of the black hole that is Sbisa.

He's 26 just after Christmas, sorry I don't see any big jump in awareness or puck skills coming. And he hardly intimidates anyone.

They don't all pan out, Kesler trade expectations and all is hardly a reason for his underwhelming play. He was also the defensemen coming back in a Chris Pronger trade, so it's not a first time he's faced expectations.

Let's hope he can be hidden enough to be snuck into a trade package. Sbisa is not the big tough "cornerstone" dman every team needs, he's a fairly poor stopgap.

I personally wonder if Chara for a cpl seasons would be possible. If Benning is thinking Lucic, id prefer a slow defensemen that scares the "shat" out of players then a slow forward if we're talking slow bruins.

Chara > Sbisa any day.

What would be an acceptable scenario for Sbisa where the team and fanbase (most of it) would be satisfied with how he turns out?

An acceptable scenario would be that Lidster does his job and minimizes any inefficiencies that Sbisa has as much as possible. Kid is still only 25 years old, plenty to learn and room for growth yet with good coaching imo.

Interesting question:-

of the 11 players who were minus in the +/- column last season, only 3 made opening night roster (Hansen, Horvvat and Sbisa); The last few weeks this board has been all over Hansen (until his opening night goal) who was -6, and Sbisa, who was -8,

Bo also was -8, yet he's the superstar. Why the free pass?

Because +/- is a misleading and a largely useless stat.

It has a time on ice bias which can be further compounded by usage (zone starts, quality of competition, quality of teammates). Not to mention there is a recorder error (which is even more prevalent for defencemen) making the raw data fairly unreliable.

In this age of hockey analytics and information, +/- is an antiquated stat which lends little insight and is often misleading. It is best to just stop using it.

An acceptable scenario would be that Lidster does his job and minimizes any inefficiencies that Sbisa has as much as possible. Kid is still only 25 years old, plenty to learn and room for growth yet with good coaching imo.

Good post. Big bodied, good skater with poor hockey sense. Keeping his game simple, but reinforcing his strengths is the ticket.

Sbisa can't box out, Sbisa can't make good passes, Sbisa is a turn over machine. This thread is full of delusional fans; I'm sorry let's be honest for once and admit that Sbisa s one damn bad defenceman who deserves to be waived or traded asap. If he ever gets hot trade him rite away

Someone is watching the games, good to see!

Archived