The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Funny story regarding the Oilers potential trade for Schneider

homersexual

He can and will obviously be moved to Left Wing once Benoit Pouliot isn't suited to the top six. Or they trade him, it doesn't make sense they have three potential number 1 centers, Draisaitl should be moved to someone who really needs him, for other pieces.

What's he worth though? If Bo, who is clearly the much better player, isn't worth Jones or Monahan level players, then is LD worth it for the oil to trade him? Maybe they would be better to trade RNH?

Jones, maybe. Definitely not the other two. IMO those two are one way players, who may get a few more points, but will not impact a game like Bo does. Although I like all those players, I like Bo more. How good would a line be with Bo between those other two Canadian boys?

If you wouldn't take MacKinnon over Horvat then you're dumb. Nathan almost halved his point totals from his first to his second year and still out scored Horvat. MacKinnon has the potential to be a top 5 center in this league, something Horvat does not.

I don't recall Gillis saying that. All I remember Gillis saying (or implied, the guy stopped giving out straight answers by that point) was that the Oilers needed to do better than NJ because it was a trade within the division.

I remember McTavish looking confused after the trade was announced and basically he thought that his offer of 7th overall was better than NJ's offer of 9th overall so he assumed that GIllis must have gotten 9th overall pick plus something else but he didn't, and that is why he was confused. But as far as Gillis was concerned, 7th and the 9th overall pick was equivalent because he was picking Horvat anyways. If Edmonton did end up offering up one of Klefbom or Maricin + 7th overall pick, Gillis might have taken that deal though.

Well Gillis did say that, "Quote on Quote"

"We wanted to get into the top ten."

I agree. Although it could have done better, he didn't do as bad as we initially thought. And Luongo siutation wasn't Gillis' fault at all. The salary recapture rule just goes to show how amateurish the league is operated and it led to Kovalchuk going back to Russia. I hope Hossa retires before his contract expires just to see how the league handles this situation.

Gillis put $64 mill on the table for Lou. Lou is Lou, awfully good but not among the true worlds best players.

But $64 mill, really over 8 or 9 years not 12, was the kind of money you pay Sydney Crosby. $64 million was half the money it would have taken to buy Columbus or St Louis NHL franchises at that time. Just for context. Bottom line is it was too much money! There is every reason to project how shelling out that kind of contract offer would end up...

And it did end badly!

Yup. Who from his draft would we trade, right now, for Bo?

Hands down you take McKinnon, Jones and Monahan. Cases can be made for Lindholm & Wennberg although I'm not sure I'm buying. Burakovsky could slip into the conversation. Nichushkin was also injured last year, but played in both the Olympics and as an NHL 1st line winger as a rookie. He was a good pick. And I'm also still taking Barkov.

That's irrelevant though. The real point is we made an excellent choice where we did. And that's all you want!

Playing for arguably the best defensive core in the league vs one of the worst, he better have a good year.

Remind me how he did in the playoffs as well

Minny was having goalie issues until Dubnyk came along, but even before that in Arizona Dubnyk was having a good season on the arguably worst defensive team in the NHL.

Dubs was NOT propped up by the system.

Yup. Who from his draft would we trade, right now, for Bo?

Aside from MacKinnon or Barkov (for obvious reasons)?

Seth Jones, maybe. But neither player has proven enough to warrant even thinking about moving them.

Aside from MacKinnon or Barkov (for obvious reasons)?

Seth Jones, maybe. But neither player has proven enough to warrant even thinking about moving them.

MacKinnon and Jones would still be the top 2 but it's safe to say we got one of the best players in the draft. We'll all have to wait 15 years to see who wins Cup(s) and has a better career but for now can't be any happier.

MacKinnon and Jones would still be the top 2 but it's safe to say we got one of the best players in the draft. We'll all have to wait 15 years to see who wins Cup(s) and has a better career but for now can't be any happier.

More so, watching schnieder tonight we don't want that guy anyway. Gillis got kicked for that trade, but now with Bow so good, and Schnieder looking like a sieve tonight - and not leading his team to anything since the trade - we won that trade BIG TIME!!!

More so, watching schnieder tonight we don't want that guy anyway. Gillis got kicked for that trade, but now with Bow so good, and Schnieder looking like a sieve tonight - and not leading his team to anything since the trade - we won that trade BIG TIME!!!

I would re do the Bo for Schneider trade even if Schneider plays like he did last year and continues his career as expected. We needed a young C and infusion of youth and it was a good trade. With Markstrom about to become a started soon and Demko in the wings I'm not worried about our goal tending going into the future.

Definitely a win for the Canucks.

Funny that Gillis had swag when he was doing such a poor job with the goalie situation.

He could have done a few things different. Having said that the league screwed him when they messed with the cap hit on Lui's contract. He got horvat out of shnieder and I'd say that's fair value. Might even turn out to be a blessing if Bo ever raises the chalice.

Well, technically the goalie coach was right. Dubnyk had a fantastic year last season, wasn't he a Vezina finalist? Schneids has yet to do that. Honestly, I doubt Schneids would have done much better in Edmonton with that team and defence.

If those two switch teams who do you think has the better season statistically?

Dubnyk is better than what he was able to show playing for Edmonton but he's the same goalie he's always been. A good starting caliber goalie but he's closer to Cloutier than he is to Hasek.

Archived