The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All of a sudden the Canucks aren't so slow

TheRussianRocket.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/08/all-of-a-sudden-the-canucks-arent-so-slow/

For Vancouver GM Jim Benning, it became clear early last season that speed was an issue for his team.

Specifically, the Canucks didn't have enough of it.

And that's a pretty big problem in today's NHL.

Fast forward to when Vancouver was eliminated by Calgary in the first round of the playoffs and it was the Flames' ability to "get in on the forecheck" (an oft-used phrase by Benning) that proved a deciding factor.

And so Benning made changes. He traded aging defender Kevin Bieksa and slow-footed forward Nick Bonino. He acquired Matt Bartkowski, an excellent skater, and Brandon Sutter, also a good skater.

But most importantly, Benning committed to a younger roster. Last night in Calgary, the Canucks earned a 5-1 victory with a lineup that featured Sven Baertschi, 23, Ben Hutton, 22, Bo Horvat, 20, and Jared McCann, 19.

All four can skate.

So can Jake Virtanen, 19, who was a healthy scratch.

Add Jannik Hansen and Derek Dorsett, arguably their fastest veteran skaters, to the equation and all of a sudden Vancouver didn't look so slow anymore.

"The Canucks were much better than us," said Flames coach Bob Hartley. "We got what we deserved. They kicked our butts."

Granted, it was only the first of 82 games. Who knows if kids like McCann and Hutton can maintain their level of play for an entire season.

But last night?

That wasn't the same Vancouver team as last year.

Benning made sure of that.

JB = change. Some controversial moves but hey, it's worked out at the end. Can't complain. He's pulling the trigger wherever necessary and doesn't mind taking some criticism if he has to. Love this approach by management. Was hard seeing the same old lineup year after year for the past number of seasons.

Last 3 sentences of the article are perfect.

The fact that Benning's willing to make such moves tells me he's willing to focus on what HE thinks will make a good team. As a result, he might just start shutting up naysayers of his trades. A lot of people here seem to think trades are about getting value for value. You don't make trades to be fair. You make trades to improve your team. Whether that means losing assets or gaining assets as a result. It's about the whole picture and not about each individual player in my opinion.

I kind of expected this change in mindset by some media and fans and I'm amused with this article and thread as a result.

Yeah, it was so painful in the last playoffs when the flames would come and hit our d-men and they couldn't do anything about it.

I hate the Sbisa contract, but JB has done some decent things. I like having the young guys on the team and hope they stick.

he had one bad giveaway last night, but he made some seriously sexy stretch passes during pre-season and a couple last night too. He just needs to up his intensity level........he has bieksaitis.

Speed exposed Ferland for what he is, overrated. I said it in another thread. Still pretty bummed Jake didn't play the opener. But can't complain about the outcome.

I actually thought Ferland was their 2nd best fwd last night.

Bartkowski and Hutton have changed the way our defence plays, finally some decent up ice rushes.

Totally this.

I thought Bartkowski especially had a hell of a game. Best way to counter a heavy forecheck is to have d-men that can skate it out of trouble to rush back up the ice.

They can't hit what they can't catch.

Very good transition game by the new additions,the speed back checking was fantastic. They played focused on winning and Prust and Dorsett took the Flames intimidation tactics away from that focus. An excellent discipline game and exposed Calgary to their lack of discipline. All in all a very good start and players showing skills Benning had explained in his deals. Sutter has hockey smarts and he learns quickly, Bartowski has great poise and moves the puck quickly and smartly. The kids look promising, it's going to be an interesting year.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/08/all-of-a-sudden-the-canucks-arent-so-slow/

JB = change. Some controversial moves but hey, it's worked out at the end. Can't complain. He's pulling the trigger wherever necessary and doesn't mind taking some criticism if he has to. Love this approach by management. Was hard seeing the same old lineup year after year for the past number of seasons.

Last 3 sentences of the article are perfect.

Worked out? Really, wow after 1 game the bandwagon is full again. Still a long way to go....they lose on Saturday and the knives will be back out pretty quick eh.

Worked out? Really, wow after 1 game the bandwagon is full again. Still a long way to go....they lose on Saturday and the knives will be back out pretty quick eh.

But they win on Saturday and it is a heavenly Armageddon.

Not a matter of if they won/lost. It's about how the team performed and played. From yesterday's performance it's clear the team is faster from last years team and the ability to move the puck up ice is a lot better.

And what do you mean it's full? We're Canucks fans, we'll always be supporting the team. Nice to see the how you evaluate the team soley based off wins/losses with your reply. We're in the middle of a retool. The OP wasn't, "our team is the best in the league, we won"! No, it's an article simply stating the difference in play and how certain things have been changed for the better after 1 game.

...must be nice to be a pessimist ::D

Archived