The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All of a sudden the Canucks aren't so slow

TheRussianRocket.

The one thing I want to know is why are the Sedins slow at skating when they are by far the fittest players on the team?

Everyones born with different amounts of fast twitch muscles Fibers [type 1]you can't change it.Sedins probably have a high ratio of type 2 fibres which provide them with their great stamina.

Very surprised with JB's (Management's) decision to go with younger, faster, stronger...the upcoming season looked dull and boring until JB decided to go with the young guns (namely Virtanen, McCann and Hutton) and also Baertchi and Horvat, who were locks for roster spots.

Letting Vey and Corrado go on waivers and Kenins go back to the AHL, also surprised me. Both Kenins and Vey can be called back up if needed and there is also Gaunce and Pedan that looked solid in the preseason.

The biggest surprise, however, has been Hutton...this is the exact type of player the Canucks needed on "D", and along with the fast skating Bartkowski, the "D" suddenly looks different...I believe Sbisa will also hold his own, but for Sbisa to be the most effective, he needs to be more physical and take the body more.(plus, he needs to use his wheels)...this will come with increased confidence. Bartkowski also seems to get out of position at times and needs to be more aware of his positioning.

Must also give Kudos to JB for his decision to keep Cracknell, who has played well and seems to be a good fit for the 4th line.

One question...what is the status of Weber?

It's one game...however, it was a very positive one game and with the youth, I'm now excited again to watch the team...better or for worst.

Wasn't the knock on Horvat is that his skating needs work?

They just wanted to up his first step quickness. He did off ice workouts with Roger Takahashi to improve it and on the ice drills. One drill he did that my coach likes to do on the ice, is get on the toes of your blades and push at the start with them and the first few strides.

Wasn't the knock on Horvat is that his skating needs work?

They just wanted to up his first step quickness. He did off ice workouts with Roger Takahashi to improve it and on the ice drills. One drill he did that my coach likes to do on the ice, is get on the toes of your blades and push at the start with them and the first few strides. Almost like a ballerina on their toes.

Matching speed and size helped us shut down Geudreau btw Tanev was all over him like a dirty glove.

The effectiveness of all 4 lines gives more room for the Twins as well. They were backing up a lot on Horvat's rushes too.

All in all a great 1st game by the young guys. and "old guys" Lol

And when the Canucks shed vrbata and prust at the trade deadline we'll be even faster

Sedin-sedin-burrows

Baerschi-horvat-virtanen

McCann-sutter-Hansen

Higgins-cracknell-dorsett

Kenins

Can we keep Vrbata? He's actually a really good player and he's fast too.

They just wanted to up his first step quickness. He did off ice workouts with Roger Takahashi to improve it and on the ice drills. One drill he did that my coach likes to do on the ice, is get on the toes of your blades and push at the start with them and the first few strides. Almost like a ballerina on their toes.

Have you met Roger Takahashi?

Like Bennington said " we want a team that can play any style". The added speed was crucial after last year, but I wonder if we're still missing an important ingredient which is that heaviness and size somewhere in the lineup.

Would Lucic help with that?

Absolutely. But I don't think it'll be enough.

Archived