The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All of a sudden the Canucks aren't so slow

TheRussianRocket.

Not a matter of if they won/lost. It's about how the team performed and played. From yesterday's performance it's clear the team is faster from last years team and the ability to move the puck up ice is a lot better.

And what do you mean it's full? We're Canucks fans, we'll always be supporting the team. Nice to see the how you evaluate the team soley based off wins/losses with your reply. We're in the middle of a retool. The OP wasn't, "our team is the best in the league, we won"! No, it's an article simply stating the difference in play and how certain things have been changed for the better after 1 game.

...must be nice to be a pessimist : :D

Come off it man. He's right. We have some of the most brittle hockey fans in the NHL. Bandwagon jumping is an Olympic sport in BC.

A defeat on Saturday and we will be back to doom and gloom. Self entitlement is a religion on CDC.

Out:

Bonino

Mathias

Bieksa

Richardsson

In:

Sutter

Beartschi

Hutton

McCann

Bartowski

If u know about those players that's why we are faster

Actually I would say the first lot ARE pretty quick but passing was not big on their agenda and that is the difference. Bieksa for example was quick but seemed to take delight in trying to make it look like he had time to burn and it often got him into trouble.

Matthias could also shift but again he never saw the pass when it was on.

I think the difference in the two groups is more to do with hockey smarts and early passing.

Actually I would say the first lot ARE pretty quick but passing was not big on their agenda and that is the difference. Bieksa for example was quick but seemed to take delight in trying to make it look like he had time to burn and it often got him into trouble.

I think the difference in the two groups is more to do with hockey smarts and early passing.

No the difference is the first group were all slow to very slow and the second group are all quick to very quick. Definitely a really big speed difference between the two.

Yeah, it was so painful in the last playoffs when the flames would come and hit our d-men and they couldn't do anything about it.

I hate the Sbisa contract, but JB has done some decent things. I like having the young guys on the team and hope they stick.

One good thing about Sbisa is that he can actually hit unlike other defensemen. He will be the physical presence in the back end. Be postitive!

Matching speed and size helped us shut down Geudreau btw Tanev was all over him like a dirty glove.

The effectiveness of all 4 lines gives more room for the Twins as well. They were backing up a lot on Horvat's rushes too.

All in all a great 1st game by the young guys. and "old guys" Lol

To be fair, it's not very hard to match size against Johnny Hockey, my 4 year old is almost as big as him.

In what planet is

Bieksa faster than Barthowski

Bonino faster than Sutter

Matthias faster than McCaan

the only one with good speed was richardson and he was hobbled for the second half of the season

we added baerstchi and hutton as well

there is a clear difference in speed and to argue against that and say the difference is passing is incorrect

Transistion game was key in game 1.....as soon as CGy ramped up their forecheck...the quick moving dmen quickly passed skated a couple of strides and passed to a variety of outlets................

kudos on the forwards supporting the dmen properly

checkers cant hammer the guy without the puck as hard....or at all

Cue the Cgy forechecker or forecheckers being caught up the ice and our offence having space in the flames defensive zone....

dmen less banged up ..less gun shy

space to enter and create

Cgy game plan in tatters

Transistion game was key in game 1.....as soon as CGy ramped up their forecheck...the quick moving dmen quickly passed skated a couple of strides and passed to a variety of outlets................

Cue the Cgy forechecker or forecheckers being caught up the ice and our offence having space in the flames defensive zone....

Cgy game plan in tatters

Excellent post. This guy understands.

Cgy game plan in tatters

And kudos to the coaching staff that had the team well prepared for the game.

They say staged fighting has no place in the game, but in my mind, Dorsett made a great play taking Ferland out of the game for the first five minutes, to give Hutton and the other Canucks defensive a chance to get over the nerves before he could start his charging act.

Hopefully Hutton can carry on his stellar play. I though the Canucks were going to be just fine with their forwards, but their defense other than Tanev really worried me. Hutton was a breath of fresh air. Any kind of for check usually stymied the Canucks, but so far Hutton for the most part has been able to skate and pass out of trouble, setting up good offensive possibilities in the process. :)

Makes it seem like this issue only happened against Calgary. The issue has been happening since 2009, 2010 playoffs losing against Chicago and 2011 against Boston. Whenever the defense were intelligently forechecked, the Canucks would lose possession regularly - that's why we were losing 8-2, 4-0, etc in a goddamn stanley cup final.

That's why the clamor for a number one defenseman, but really, the need was a good defensive corps that can move the puck through skating, through passing, and intelligence.

Exactly why we needed Sutter. He's versitile, defensively responsible, loves to forcheck, can score goals, win faceoffs, and most importantly is fast.

Dorsett has also worked on his skating as well. He's a lighting bolt out there.

Exactly why we needed Sutter. He's versitile, defensively responsible, loves to forcheck, can score goals, win faceoffs, and most importantly is fast.

Dorsett has also worked on his skating as well. He's a lighting bolt out there.

Makes me laugh at the ones who felt Sutter was just a 3rd line center. Bonino, while having great upside, I felt didn't fit the team as well someone like Sutter. The trade made sense to me, even when it first happened. In fact, this summer I was quite content with everything. We needed this change like..... 2 years ago lol Gillis just didn't seem to know how to pull it off and seemed waaaay too attached to the current team. It's really where his lack of experience, compared with someone like Benning, really became apparent.

Makes it seem like this issue only happened against Calgary. The issue has been happening since 2009, 2010 playoffs losing against Chicago and 2011 against Boston. Whenever the defense were intelligently forechecked, the Canucks would lose possession regularly - that's why we were losing 8-2, 4-0, etc in a goddamn stanley cup final.

That's why the clamor for a number one defenseman, but really, the need was a good defensive corps that can move the puck through skating, through passing, and intelligence.

Exactly, and good on JB and crew for noticing and remedying it, and so quickly. The old regime never seemed to figure that out.

Remember in all the series versus Chicago, we would get up on them in the score and the series and then suddenly collapse and be blown out. As long as the Canucks' game was played they more than often would win, but when it went the other way it got UGLY, and fast. Had a few of those blowouts last year, too.

Makes me laugh at the ones who felt Sutter was just a 3rd line center. Bonino, while having great upside, I felt didn't fit the team as well someone like Sutter. The trade made sense to me, even when it first happened. In fact, this summer I was quite content with everything. We needed this change like..... 2 years ago lol Gillis just didn't seem to know how to pull it off and seemed waaaay too attached to the current team. It's really where his lack of experience, compared with someone like Benning, really became apparent.

Agreed. It was like Gillis was not willing to admit his mistakes, and make needed change. He came off as a guy who PRETENDED to have a lot of self confidence.

Who is going to replace Weber's pp goals though? (and he, too, could skate)

See below. Weber could skate. But really brings nothing, a right handed shot aside, that we don't have elsewhere. In fact that is probably the only reason he is here. And he has weaknesses. Critically, he did not get to, retrieve and move the puck against the heavy Calgary fore-check in the play off's.

Very surprised with JB's (Management's) decision to go with younger, faster, stronger...the upcoming season looked dull and boring until JB decided to go with the young guns (namely Virtanen, McCann and Hutton) and also Baertchi and Horvat, who were locks for roster spots.

Letting Vey and Corrado go on waivers and Kenins go back to the AHL, also surprised me. Both Kenins and Vey can be called back up if needed and there is also Gaunce and Pedan that looked solid in the preseason.

The biggest surprise, however, has been Hutton...this is the exact type of player the Canucks needed on "D", and along with the fast skating Bartkowski, the "D" suddenly looks different...I believe Sbisa will also hold his own, but for Sbisa to be the most effective, he needs to be more physical and take the body more.(plus, he needs to use his wheels)...this will come with increased confidence. Bartkowski also seems to get out of position at times and needs to be more aware of his positioning.

Must also give Kudos to JB for his decision to keep Cracknell, who has played well and seems to be a good fit for the 4th line.

One question...what is the status of Weber?

It's one game...however, it was a very positive one game and with the youth, I'm now excited again to watch the team...better or for worst.

Just a few notes;

- We are not bigger. We lost a lot of size in Mathias and Kassian. It is the speed you are speaking to which was by far the more influential component. We do still have Jake to incorporate. And considering many of our parts are small he is very critical. Even if Ehlers outscores him (he will), Jake will be more valuable to us IMO. Hopefully Pedan may also join us in the next year or so to add value here? But he'll be tough to fit as we are loaded in lefties. Anyway, no doubt more size, that can keep up, is somewhere very high on our agenda.

- Weber is redundant with Hutton. Of course we did not know that would be the case so soon. So he is our 7th D man. He'll play a fair bit with injuries. And we wont always get away with only one RHS on any given night. He has speed, but is nowhere near as good handling the puck plus he's smaller. He does have a big shot. But we still have Edler in the line up so can inject that elsewhere. He was re-signed. But there is a reason it was only a 1 year deal & left to be UFA at year end. I will be surprised in a big way if he is here next year. He was just signed to tide us over...

- Your not far off. Sbisa is not that bad. He just needs to be on a pair where he is not the key guy retrieving and handling the puck. Full stop! That makes him good as long as he plays with Hamhuis, Tanev or Hutton, probably Bart as well. He does plenty elsewhere that is positive. There is ample scope to make Sbisa useful with his strengths. Where we can pair him to offset missing components in his game. Everybody has shortcomings. Sbisa could even move up the line up if we can score another right handed Hutton like guy.

Its clear at this point the key return on the Kesler trade was McCann. The 1st round pick and of course its only important because a good selection was made.

You could argue we ended up with Sutter as well from Bonino. And its true to a point. Our being in a position, and willingness, to take on salary was equally if not the key component in his acquisition. I am guessing, but believe I am right, that the Penguins were more consumed with getting Clendenning and a pick in the transaction?

Bonino and Sbisa were, and are, fill players. Bonino is also a fill player in Pitt. Make use of them sure. But they are not going to be the main component that gets you revving your engine!

Totally this.

I thought Bartkowski especially had a hell of a game. Best way to counter a heavy forecheck is to have d-men that can skate it out of trouble to rush back up the ice.

They can't hit what they can't catch.

Bartkowski is a great skater, but it's like as soon as he hits the redline he freezes and doesn't know what to do with the puck. If he could figure that out he could turn into a hell of a player.

Archived