The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

question: McCann assist?

Sherthng

I thought both kids played well. hutton looked good and got a great assist. McCann made a great defensive play knocking the puck down out of mid air then passing it to Burrows who scored off a defencemens stick? why no assist? Is there a rule? did he get screwed?

I totally agree. The kid got robbed of his first point in the NHL. I was very surprised this was not corrected before end of game when game sheets become official. Oh well, next game he'll just have to get a 'goal' and an assist. He did not get much playing time, but I thought he was effective when he was out there. Made a great defensive play on that goal; so that is sure to make Coach 'D' happy with the kid.

My brother lives in Sault Ste. Marie and he said everyone in town is talking about he and his Canuck debut -

"Maybe McCann won't be sent back to the Greyhounds, what will we do without him?"

I suspect he will have to have a very good 9 game audition (definitely putting up some points along with solid d-zone play) in order for the Canucks to keep him with the big club, otherwise it won't be a surprise to anyone if he gets sent back to the Greyhounds.

If the game was in Vancouver he would have got the assist.

Exactly...those dirty out of town and Calgary based officials doing their best not to have the REAL 19-year-old sensation (i.e., Jared McCann) unseat the great pretender (i.e., Sam Bennett).

In all seriousness, it would have been nice for McCann to get a point, but this will probably just give him one more thing to add to his chip on his shoulder...I love players who have a chip on their shoulders.

I think the argument is that Wideman got enough of the puck to be considered possession and thus it was an own goal. In that case the only point goes to the goal scorer. I have scored hockey and it is debateable for how you are supposed to score it. So close you could really go either way.

Sometimes the NHL adjusts the scoring later.

"Rule 78.4: A goal shall be scored if the puck is put into the goal in any way by a player of the defending side. The player of the attacking side who last touched the puck shall be credited with the goal but no assist shall be awarded."

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2014-2015-rulebook.pdf

We see own-goal deflections all the time where assists are given.

We see own-goal deflections all the time where assists are given.

The interpretation of the rule is that's if the deflection is off of the body or off the stick with no reaction (no "control" of the puck). Wideman reached out and purposefully made contact with the puck/"controlled" the puck... he just paid no attention to where he was directing it.

I noticed one of the linesman had a lengthy discussion with McCann shortly after. Could be about faceoffs but at the time i thought he might of been telling him that they'll change the scoring after the game. They did keep the puck.

Archived