The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

question: McCann assist?

Sherthng

"Rule 78.4: A goal shall be scored if the puck is put into the goal in any way by a player of the defending side. The player of the attacking side who last touched the puck shall be credited with the goal but no assist shall be awarded."

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2014-2015-rulebook.pdf

It wasn't an own goal. It was a deflection. Deflecting goals off defending players are awarded assists.

It wasn't an own goal. It was a deflection. Deflecting goals off defending players are awarded assists.

That, I guess, is what's up to interpretation. I agree that it looked like a deflection, but it's definitely a closer case than some, and I can see how the scorekeepers might see it as an own goal.

We see own-goal deflections all the time where assists are given.

Typically if it deflects off a defending player (arm, leg, skate etc) where the player isn't intentionally trying to play the puck assists are given. In this case Wideman intentionally reached out with his stick literally playing the puck into his own net though his own action. Making it an "own goal". In this case it's correct to apply the rule.

"Rule 78.4: A goal shall be scored if the puck is put into the goal in any way by a player of the defending side. The player of the attacking side who last touched the puck shall be credited with the goal but no assist shall be awarded."

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2014-2015-rulebook.pdf

Even though the rule is clearly shown and it proves the Ref's made the right call; people still keep complaining.

I agree with Barzal, I mean yeah it would've been swell to get that point in your first game, against our rivals, with your parents in the crowd, but really i'm sure it'd be sweeter if it was a goal or an assist that wasn't an own goal. His time will come !

I'd think it would. Goalies can have own goals as well.

I just see pucks deflecting on off goalie sticks a lot, so why are those not considered own goals? The rule sounds like it is open to interpretation. That's why points should not be the barometer of a player's value.

I just see pucks deflecting on off goalie sticks a lot, so why are those not considered own goals? The rule sounds like it is open to interpretation. That's why points should not be the barometer of a player's value.

I see your point but let's say the goalie intently tries to direct the puck to behind the net but puts it in, is it an own goal... Yes but it would have to be obvious that he was making an attempt to play the puck but shot it in his own net.

Does "any player" include the goalie?

Yes, that's happen at times, where a team shoots on a delayed penalty, then send it back to the point, miss and it goes into their own net. Then the goalie gets the goal as the last to touch it. I think Van was on the right side of one of these gaffes a few years back.

As others have said it was ruled an own goal. When I watched the highlights I actually went back to look at the score sheet to see who made that great defensive play and got the assist and was surprised it was unassisted. Personally I did not consider it an own goal.

I'll try this again...........

Typically if it deflects off a defending player (arm, leg, skate etc) where the player isn't intentionally trying to play the puck assists are given. In this case Wideman intentionally reached out with his stick literally playing the puck into his own net though his own action. Making it an "own goal". In this case it's correct to apply the rule.

But the point is that this rule rarely gets implemented on things like deflections. One of a million examples - look at this own-goal by Smith, scoring on himself with the puck in his pants:

And yet, they gave an assist on the play to one of the Sabres (Matt Moulson). Why? It helped that the game was in Buffalo.

Swinging at the puck is "playing" the puck? I've only really seen the play a couple times but doesn't look like he had control of the puck at all, not enough to "play the puck" into his own net anyway. Regardless McCann will get a point soon enough.

Archived