The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AHL vs KHL which is better?

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was leaning towards KHL just wanted some feedback.

It is KHL. They aren't really close the KHL is head and shoulders above. The AHL is kind of a league mainly of prospects and raw players around the college age trying to improve with a few older vets. The KHL is more of a pro league with grown men who know the game and are more physically and mentally mature in the game.

The KHL is obviously higher than the AHL. There's no doubt about it.

That being said, the style of play in the KHL is vastly different from the NHL. The AHL for all intent and purposes replicates the NHL for development reasons, thus playing in the AHL isn't a bad league to be in.

Skills wise, KHL is above AHL.

But difficulty level, AHL is the hardest league to play in. The reason is the game is much more physical and much more of a grind then the NHL, add to the fact, this is the final step towards NHL glory, which a lot of players are motivated to play even extra hard. THe AHL is the do whatever it takes to make the NHL step, this is why the AHL is such difficult league to play in. It's much more tight. On Any given day, the average AHL team can easily handle a KHL team.

Here's how I broke it down, Ilya Kovalchuk is a NHL player who decided to play in the KHL. Fair enough,

but if the best player in the KHL is Alex Radulov?????? that speaks for itself, Alex Radulov is a second line player in the NHL, at the very best thats were he was, a second line player.

So if the best KHL player is a second line player in the NHL, makes you think and wonder how a KHL team can match up to the NHL let alone, comparing a AHL team to the KHL, again Kovalchuk is an exception since he decided to ditch the NHL.

So this is my reason why I think the AHL team a tougher league to play in. To be honest, these KHLers wouldn't last very long in the AHL, they get eaten alive by the physicality.

So basically the ones that are saying KHL by miles, I'm kinda laughing at you guys. and rightfully so, if the the top player in the KHL is a second line player in the NHL

But difficulty level, AHL is the hardest league to play in. The reason is the game is much more physical and much more of a grind then the NHL, add to the fact, this is the final step towards NHL glory, which a lot of players are motivated to play even extra hard. THe AHL is the do whatever it takes to make the NHL step, this is why the AHL is such difficult league to play in. It's much more tight. On Any given day, the average AHL team can easily handle a KHL team.

Here's how I broke it down, Ilya Kovalchuk is a NHL player who decided to play in the KHL. Fair enough,

but if the best player in the KHL is Alex Radulov?????? that speaks for itself, Alex Radulov is a second line player in the NHL, at the very best thats were he was, a second line player.

So if the best KHL player is a second line player in the NHL, makes you think and wonder how a KHL team can match up to the NHL let alone, comparing a AHL team to the KHL, again Kovalchuk is an exception since he decided to ditch the NHL.

So this is my reason why I think the AHL team a tougher league to play in. To be honest, these KHLers wouldn't last very long in the AHL, they get eaten alive by the physicality.

So basically the ones that are saying KHL by miles, I'm kinda laughing at you guys. and rightfully so, if the the top player in the KHL is a second line player in the NHL

The top player in the AHL isn't cut out for the NHL. The top player in the KHL is an NHL 2nd liner. I fail to see the logic that dictates AHL>KHL.

2 different different styles of play but imo KHL is the better league.

Nigel Dawes is what I would use for a measuring stick. 232 GP in the AHL - 1.00 PPG; 237 GP in the KHL - 0.80.

There you have it...the KHL is 20% better than the AHL.

All kidding aside, I think the KHL is probably slightly better, only because they have players with more pro experience, but the game is different in the two leagues, so it's almost like comparing apples to oranges. If I had to choose one, I'd say KHL...that's just a guess on my part.

The top player in the AHL isn't cut out for the NHL. The top player in the KHL is an NHL 2nd liner. I fail to see the logic that dictates AHL>KHL.

2 different different styles of play but imo KHL is the better league.

how the hell can you tell me, the best AHL player is not cut for the NHL when their are so many NHLers that made their way to the NHL through The AHL? 

with exception of Russian players, anyone else playing in the KHL has really no chance at making the NHL.

Less then 5 months ago, Sven Bartchi, Jake Virtannen and Marksom was in the AHL, they are currently in the NHL.

Better league, yes, more skilled.  but much better? probably not, because a lot of AHLers are ready to make the NHL. ahl is a brutal league to play in.

Having no idea firsthand by just being a fan, I would suggest the AHL game is more intense and physical while providing some high end skill. So maybe a tougher League to play in as some are suggesting, but does that = better ?

I think the KHL has more skilled players in it and more mature physically at that but not quite the level of intensity and physicality ? I could be wrong.

how the hell can you tell me, the best AHL player is not cut for the NHL when their are so many NHLers that made their way to the NHL through The AHL? 

with exception of Russian players, anyone else playing in the KHL has really no chance at making the NHL.

Less then 5 months ago, Sven Bartchi, Jake Virtannen and Marksom was in the AHL, they are currently in the NHL.

Better league, yes, more skilled.  but much better? probably not, because a lot of AHLers are ready to make the NHL. ahl is a brutal league to play in.

Lots of players went from AHL to NHL but at the time they were in the AHL they were not good enough for the NHL. The AHL may be better for development sakes but the KHL is the more skilled and better league in my opinion. 

Less than 5 months ago, Artem Panarin was in the KHL. 7 points in 6 games right now. 

If Radulov had actually stayed in the NHL, I have no doubts he would have been an elite player. Like Tarasenko. He might be a primadonna who needs a good ass kicking, but you can't deny his skill. Easily one of the most talented players on the planet. Such a shame that he screwed over Nashville so badly, cause he would have been amazing in the NHL if he'd stuck, and didn't have attitude. 

Archived