The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Torts really need to start our goons in January 2014?

Fan since 82

This is something that bugged me as soon as it happened. When Torts was interviewed after the game he said something like (sorry not an exact quote): 'When I saw who he (Hartley) was starting I knew I had to do the same. I couldn't risk starting anyone else and have them get hurt.' There's no way a line brawl starts if there aren't willing partners on both sides.

Why couldn't he have put our first line out against Calgary's fourth line? That's a line match coaches dream about. We win the draw, gain posession, and bam take a 1-0 lead within the first minute of the game.

Torts was out-coached there and let Hartley dictate the beginning of the game.

I know it's ancient history, but I only bring it up because it's a hot topic on the radio. Everybody is bashing Hartley, but it takes two to tango and I feel that Torts is as much to blame.

Thoughts?

PS - I searched for this topic but couldnt find anything. Apologies if it already exists somewhere and I missed it.

We're in trouble if dey jump da twin.

- Alex Burrows

I just don't think they would've done it. We would have had posession and if they kept running around looking for a scrap it would've made it that much easier to score.

I know it's all water under the bridge but I have just never really seen it discussed.

Actually would have made Hartley look foolish if we started the 1st line, played pond hockey and scored 20 seconds in.

Only thing is, if the Flames goons grabbed the Sedins and started doing a Marchand speedbag routine for no reason, they wouldn't get punished / suspended as they should, since it's usually open season on the Canucks.

Actually would have made Hartley look foolish if we started the 1st line, played pond hockey and scored 20 seconds in.

Only thing is, if the Flames goons grabbed the Sedins and started doing a Marchand speedbag routine for no reason, they wouldn't get punished / suspended as they should, since it's usually open season on the Canucks.

Well it is embarrassing to have players that can't stand up for themselves against a midget.

Well it is embarrassing to have players that can't stand up for themselves against a midget.

It's not that they can't stand up for themselves, more that it's not their game. Don't get me wrong I would've loved it if Daniel dropped the gloves with Marchand that night (even if he lost the fight I believe it would've given the Nucks a huge boost), but that's not his style.

whats more embarrassing is those are our star players and NOBODY did anything to marchand after that...what a gutless team.

^This!^

I really believe that they lost the cup in that game. The Canucks were the better team but for some reason they were just too fragile.

whats more embarrassing is those are our star players and NOBODY did anything to marchand after that...what a gutless team.

Totally agree. Hockey is never more physical than CUP play. Either you want bad enough or you do not.

If Sedin did not have push back then someone else certainly should have. Forsberg would have dropped

Marchand or at the very least stuck the guy on the next shift. One way or the other it had to be

answered.

There was no question about Tort's line response to Hartley. He did the right thing and as he said later

Hartley had done the same thing in prior seasons. The problem was the locker room confrontation which

was over the top.

Archived