The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's Aaron Ward arrested for assault on female

Robongo

Oh I agree in that an entire story has to be heard and considered before rushing to judgement. Especially with police, who should weigh out each situation on an individual basis (and sometimes don't).

I know, firsthand, that a complaint by a woman shouldn't be assumed to be the only story and that determinations based on both party's actions should be made. But the best method of addressing someone hostile is to remove yourself from them and allow a temporary or permanent cooling off. A shove means you've engaged and that's not the best route.

I also feel that men should get the same consideration when they file the complaint...that when a woman is the aggressor, it should be treated the same.

My point is that no one should use shoving or physical force as their method of addressing someone hostile (if possible). That, once you've done that, you've crossed over to become part of the problem, not the solution.

Anger Management 101.

Do you not think that a man who acts: with his voice, words, and body position can terrifying to a woman, whereas most men (if a woman was behaving in a similar manner towards them) would not feel frightened or intimidated? I guess I'm trying to point out that (perhaps?) from the woman's point of view a man does not need to touch her to terrify her. Personally I believe men should not raise a hand or be aggressive with their voice towards a woman - especially their spouse. Certainly physical aggression is off limits, but the yelling and screaming stuff should never be directed towards a woman either. The is superseded, of course, by special circumstance of protecting ones life, or others.

What the hell is assault on a female, What difference does gender make?

I guess men don't feel pain so it's more acceptable to hurt them. Hello equality anyone home!

What a sick world. :(

What's sick is how many people immediately jump to defend the accused and assumes the victim somehow deserved it! An open mind should go both ways.

54656309.jpg

Depends on whether they are being literal or not. Literally, it does take two to tango (which is the dance). Figuratively (assuming tango means assault), it does not take two to "tango," so yes, the people who say that are wrong.

You can assault someone randomly without them doing anything to you (please don't actually do it, because you'll have to answer for it). Believe it or not, it does happen and usually involves one person being drunk.

• 4 months later...

As some of you might know, charges have been dropped, it deserves an update.  Wonder if TSN will put him back on air soon.  

http://www.tsn.ca/charges-against-aaron-ward-dismissed-1.442082

Charges against former TSN Hockey analyst Aaron Ward stemming from an alleged October domestic incident were dismissed on Friday in Wake County, N.C.

Ward, 43, was arrested on Oct. 9, 2015, in Cary, N.C., and charged with two misdemeanours, for assault on a female and interfering with emergency communications. Both charges have been dropped by the Wake County District Attorney’s Office.
“After review of this case and discussions with the victim, it appears that further prosecution is not warranted,” Wake County first assistant district attorney Howard J. Cummings wrote in the dismissal, according to court documents.

"I am deeply humbled by my experience the last few months. I want to thank everyone who has supported and prayed for my family," Ward tweeted Tuesday morning.

Ward played 839 NHL games and won three Stanley Cups, including one in 2006 with the Carolina Hurricanes.

32 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

As some of you might know, charges have been dropped, it deserves an update.  Wonder if TSN will put him back on air soon.  

http://www.tsn.ca/charges-against-aaron-ward-dismissed-1.442082

Charges against former TSN Hockey analyst Aaron Ward stemming from an alleged October domestic incident were dismissed on Friday in Wake County, N.C.

Ward, 43, was arrested on Oct. 9, 2015, in Cary, N.C., and charged with two misdemeanours, for assault on a female and interfering with emergency communications. Both charges have been dropped by the Wake County District Attorney’s Office.
“After review of this case and discussions with the victim, it appears that further prosecution is not warranted,” Wake County first assistant district attorney Howard J. Cummings wrote in the dismissal, according to court documents.

"I am deeply humbled by my experience the last few months. I want to thank everyone who has supported and prayed for my family," Ward tweeted Tuesday morning.

Ward played 839 NHL games and won three Stanley Cups, including one in 2006 with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Discussion with the victim is the key phrase here. Pretty much the female victim refused to move forward with the charges. This is a pretty frequent occurrence in domestic violence cases. 

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Discussion with the victim is the key phrase here. Pretty much the female victim refused to move forward with the charges. This is a pretty frequent occurrence in domestic violence cases. 

And this is part of the problem with the US Justice system. I'm not going to say anything about this particular case, but in general, in Canada, there is a reason why it is R. v. The Accused. The crime is not just a crime against the victim, it is a crime against the state, and some people need to be punished regardless of the victim's opinion. Obviously the victim's opinion needs to be considered, but I feel like in the US the desire for the victim to not see charges go forward carries too much weight. In Canada, it is not the victim's charges, it is the state's charges. Anyway, that's just a mini-rant that really doesn't have anything to do with the Ward case.

21 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Or her side of the story didn't add up.

Not saying that's the case, but there is always more than 1 conclusion when these things happen. 

Regardless, I hope Ward doesn't return. He was not a good panelist, IMO.

Just now, Down by the River said:

And this is part of the problem with the US Justice system. I'm not going to say anything about this particular case, but in general, in Canada, there is a reason why it is R. v. The Accused. The crime is not just a crime against the victim, it is a crime against the state, and some people need to be punished regardless of the victim's opinion. Obviously the victim's opinion needs to be considered, but I feel like in the US the desire for the victim to not see charges go forward carries too much weight. In Canada, it is not the victim's charges, it is the state's charges. Anyway, that's just a mini-rant that really doesn't have anything to do with the Ward case.

Same thing happens here River. Exact same thing. The police can compel the victim to testify by threatening to charge the victim if she doesn't but they don't actually go thru with the threats. 

If a female victim refuses to testify there's not much a prosecutor could do in Canada either. 

I'm no lawyer and won't pretend to be one. You're right, it is different in the US. Often a cash payment is made to the victim to drop the charges. Laws vary from State to State and I have no idea what the laws are in the Carolinas,  but in this type of case female victims often ask for charges to be dropped in both countries. And in both countries if she refuses to move forward it's most likely that charges are dropped. 

When a female victim in Canada goes to the prosecutor and says it was a mistake, I no longer remember what exactly happened and I won't be coming to court regardless of the subpoena the prosecutor has little choice but to drop the charges. 

6 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Or her side of the story didn't add up.

Not saying that's the case, but there is always more than 1 conclusion when these things happen. 

Regardless, I hope Ward doesn't return. He was not a good panelist, IMO.

Anything is possible of course but If I had to put money on it that's not the bet I would take. 

If her story didn't add up the charges would have been dropped very quickly. Especially with a guy like Ward where he's a former pro athlete and current TV personality.

He lost his job due to this. Prosecutors review the case, a couple of weeks later it goes to court and then court appearances are made on a regular basis. Ward lost his job, this would be taken very seriously by the court and the prosecutor.  IF her story didn't add up the charges would have been dropped within weeks. Maybe even at the first court appearance which would be a week or two after the arrest. 

It's safe to assume Ward had one of the best law firms in the State working his file. Charges against him would have been dropped very quickly if her story wasn't legit. 

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

they were both fighting and it escalated obviously  charges shouldnt have been on table  both were to blame that it blew up maybe they should get a divorce if they fight that much  lifes to short for that crap 

Yes they should separate.  However, he should not assault her in any way.  She fights with words, and even if she hit him, big deal.  He leaves, and calls the police.  I doubt she had some weapon, where he needed to defend himself from real harm.  

Just leave guys.  Don't fight, in any way, with your woman.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes they should separate.  However, he should not assault her in any way.  She fights with words, and even if she hit him, big deal.  He leaves, and calls the police.  I doubt she had some weapon, where he needed to defend himself from real harm.  

Just leave guys.  Don't fight, in any way, with your woman.  

I will never understand this attitude.  The double standard here is unreal. If a woman is attacking me I cannot defend myself ?

Not saying Wards wife was doing that or that Ward is innocent in any way.  Women are fully capable of being the aggressor and should not get a free pass because of some antiquated notion that they are delicate little flowers.  

It is a big deal if she hit him Alf, there is a double standard in our society when it comes to such things. No one should be hitting anyone and I do agree on if things are getting heated to that point walk away and try to settle things later when every one has cooled down a bit. 

Just now, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

I will never understand this attitude.  The double standard here is unreal. If a woman is attacking me I cannot defend myself ?

Not saying Wards wife was doing that or that Ward is innocent in any way.  Women are fully capable of being the aggressor and should not get a free pass because of some antiquated notion that they are delicate little flowers.  

Don't ask me, ask your 130 lb. girl friend.  For certain the woman could be angry and aggressive.  The man SHOULD LEAVE.  Men, on the most part, are bigger, stronger, and physically more intimidating than women.  Ask women if they are not afraid when alone with an angry male partner.  Then ask men if they are afraid when alone with their angry female partner.  This is not some antiquated belief that women are delicate flowers.  This is the truth.  The man SHOULD LEAVE.  You really should have this discussion with your lady friend, in an open and honest way.  When alone with an angry man, most women become afraid.  

Archived