The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames vs Canucks 3-2 OT Loss

Hodgson!!

Well that was disappointing. Still think we'll be good 3-on-3. Good to see push back after a terrible third, and it's just too bad Sutter didn't chip it to Daniel.

Our defense was doing a great job of counteracting the forecheck, until the third. We just did a terrible job of getting it out and keeping it out of our own end. Hudler Monahan and Gaudreau logged heavy minutes, but always seemed to have us on our heels.

Nonetheless, I like how the team played. Horvat looks good with Baertschi, and both have shown they can be top 6. Don't really get the criticism of Vrbata--he got 5 shots. The Sedins played well, as Sutter, Vrbata, and Hansen all got quality chances with them. They were able to play from behind the net, and put pressure on Hiller. Shame they got no points to show for it.

Our powerplay looks better than it has for years, because we finally have a good 2nd unit.

Stray observations:

-Tough one for Miller. Best Canuck by a mile.

-Even tougher for Bart. In the box on the first and injured on the second, but really that interference penalty for trying to walk the line was major BS.

-I actually liked Vrbata through two games. If he keeps getting those quality chances they'll start going in. That slapshot after catching the saucer pass would have been the highlight reel goal of the game.

-Need more physicality. They'll be in tatters by January if they keep getting hit like this.

Stray observations:

-Tough one for Miller. Best Canuck by a mile.

-Even tougher for Bart. In the box on the first and injured on the second, but really that interference penalty for trying to walk the line was major BS.

-I actually liked Vrbata through two games. If he keeps getting those quality chances they'll start going in. That slapshot after catching the saucer pass would have been the highlight reel goal of the game.

-Need more physicality. They'll be in tatters by January if they keep getting hit like this.

I agree with you on all points, especially the bolded parts.

- Miller was great. It felt like 2010 watching that glove-hand.

- Bart played pretty well for the most part. I think he fits on this team very nicely. Just had bad luck.

- Vrbata is supposed to be the triggerman on those lines. Looked great with Baertschi for much of the preseason and he will finish those cross crease passes Sven's sending eventually. His chemistry with the Sedins allows us to bump Sutter to a defensive third line role, and play Virtanen with Sven and Bo. I feel like people are looking for faults cause they want him traded, and it's just stupid.

- Losing Edler hurt our physicality. Also, Cracknell hasn't been as physical as we have hoped, so maybe it's time to play Virtanen.

According to Botch Tanev was limping post game and had his calf wrapped in ice. Hopefully nothing too serious.

It's probably one of those injuries that affect how you walk, but not how you skate. Wouldn't be too worried bout it.

Go get your eyes checked. So many nice passes, lots of shots and even some impressive steals and defensive plays today.

Exactly, only seem to equate scoring with being visible. Anybody that recommends benching a a 30 goal scorer for a rookie needs to get a reality check.

I've been a bit hard on Sven, because he was handed that top 6 role. He has skill no doubt, he made some slick passes. But man he is so soft, maybe if Virt rounded out the line it would balance. I don't see him sticking around very long to be homest, hope he proves me wrong!

I hate to say it and it is pretty early but I agree. We disposed of Raymond because he was soft but I noticed MR more in the game than Sven.

However these players are still bedding in and I'm not giving up on anyone yet.

They missed Edler, not because Weber was bad but because we became even more lightweight.

One last point, I really don't understand why we don't take the body more often with players like Johnny G and Monahan. Instead we stand off them and let them run riot in our end.

Cracknell looked good in the pre-season, but I don't really see him doing much anymore. He's also got to work on his shot blocking, he's gonna get hurt badly if the puck actually hits him.

I would like to see Gaunce on the 4th OR the 3rd. I didn't think Cracknell was poor or anything but I just think Gaunce would give us more "smarts"

Top line generated good chances all night. Second line was solid and looked the most dangerous. Hutton and Tanev had a solid game. We played great in the second, but maybe a bit guilty of not a full on 60min effort. Miller was great and the main reason the game was close. We got the next one :) Id like to see:

Sedins Vrbata

Sven horvat virtanen

Burrows McCann Hansen

Prust Sutter dorset

If Vrbata doesn't work there, then put burrows back there and put Vrbata on the third with McCann.

Dont reward vrbata with 1st line he's been invisible

Archived