The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames vs Canucks 3-2 OT Loss

Hodgson!!

Good point, but a balanced defence should be able to counter various situations.

That Hamhuis & Bartkowski pairing caused the 2nd goal because both are left handed defenceman trying to cover the same point, then ran into each other realizing they left a forward open.

Management should be looking for a right handed shutdown defenceman in a trade, since we have like 3 left handed puck-moving defence.

What do you think the Leafs want for Corrado? LOL

This season will be about enjoying watching the kids emerge. It will be something to cheer about.

In reality, that d - core cant take the pressure of an average team like the flames. A big balanced forward lineup like Anaheim would maul them.

If they are not in a playoff position at the trade deadline, i think the canucks have some nice pieces a contending team would over pay for in order to bolster their lineup for a cup run.

Would you guys replace Cracknell with Gaunce? I know that they like Gaunce on the wing, but i think he would be a better choice in light of the offensive upside he could bring. Hes even bigger than Cracknell if im not mistaken. Not sure what the logic is there.

Clearly Baertschi is a perimeter player and while his passing is not bad, even NHL calibre, his "presence" in the game is lacking. If Virtanen replaced anyone, it should be him. Or at game 10 do the posters start saying "gifted" if he continues at his present pace? It is still way early yet.

Good call, let's replace a Lw with a Rw, that makes total sense.

This season will be about enjoying watching the kids emerge. It will be something to cheer about.

In reality, that d - core cant take the pressure of an average team like the flames. A big balanced forward lineup like Anaheim would maul them.

If they are not in a playoff position at the trade deadline, i think the canucks have some nice pieces a contending team would over pay for in order to bolster their lineup for a cup run.

You are bang on. The major team weakness is the d-core. All NHL teams watch a lot of film (thanks Roger)

and Van film clearly shows how to play them.

Overpayment for vets at the deadline could be wishful thinking to a degree. If the Canuck season is

done by then one of the main reasons will be the play of those vets. Their value might decrease as a

result. The big advantage is there are a number of vets who's contracts end so the acquirer does not

buy into a long term expense. The number of NHL vets who had to take a pay cut and many who did not get

contracts could be a indicator of dropping values.

this is one of my rants too. You see your star players getting run at, cross checked during faceoffs and none of our guys especially the "tough" ones try and rough up the Lames softer players. You wonder why we get a reputation of being soft.

Maybe part of the reason is that the canucks get penalized even if they lift up a stick. if some other team runs over one of our players and sends them to their death, they wont even make a call. If johnny-fudging-hockey got roughed up it would have too many penalties to even count.

To be fair it looked like Sutter had strippes johnny hockey of the puck and almost send Daniel in alone. Wideman made a beauty play to keep it in. I wouldn't blame that one on Sutter, its 3 on 3. If its not an odd man rush one way it is the other.

Yup, an excellent defensive play by Sutter, an even better one by wideman

Defence pairing should have been:

Hamhuis (Defence) - Weber (Offense)

Bartkowski (Offense) - Tanev (Defence)

Hutton (Offense) - Sbisa (?)

It should have been 1 good Dman pairing with a bad Dman...

Instead we get Sbisa and Weber together on PK....who is the defence pairing coordinator?

Lol. The fact that we have enough bad Dman to make 3 pairings is just...

Right, Sbisa-Weber pairing was a nightmare. None of those guys know how to get out of a trouble by themselves. Once they are hemmed in, they are hemmed in for good.

What the hell are we going to do when Higgins is healthy? Cause we ain't trading him.

McCann will be pulled so WD can have a more reliable defensive player. I hope this isn't the case but that has been his MO and the brass all emphasize defense over offense. Unfortunately, that would eliminate the offensive upside McCann brings. It appears the Nucks aren't big fans of the old adage "the best defense is a good offense". Hard for the other team to walk all over you when they are afraid of your offensive threat and/or hemmed in their own end.

Thoughts:

1.WE GOT A POINT! 3/4 points in 2 games against a team that no one said we had a chance against. That's pretty damn good. It's all about managing your losses.

2. Miller seems to be back in the groove, super impressed with his play so far. I've been harsh on how much we pay for him, but if he continues like this his contract will be worth every penny. Good stuff.

3. Where the hell is Vrbata? He got 70 points last season and 30 goals. I'm hoping it's just because he's having trouble adjusting with his new liberates, but man he's been invisible and looks disinterested. I know Desjardins would never do this, but I wouldn't mind sitting him and putting Virtanen in. We walked the walk in the preseason about giving those that deserve it the chance to play, it'd be nice to see that carry forward into the regular season. It'll also show the Vets that their jobs aren't safe if they play poorly.

4. MCCANN! What a young stud. Did you see that shot? Absolutely brilliant. A goal to remember for sure. 2 points (or at least it should've been) in 2 games. Those that have said he won't be up here long may want to reevaluate their position.

5. Horvat is like a more skilled and faster Hansen. He shows up to play every single game, I'm loving this guy. I think we might have found our future team captain once the Sedins retire. The future is very bright with this one.

6. I like Sbisa and I like Weber, but who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to pair them up? They need to have a strong stable defenseman to lean on and be an apprentice to, they can't do it on their own and they have a lot to learn still. I know Edler was out with the flu, but this was a terrible choice of pairings.

7. Hutton is most definitely a gift from the hockey gods, he has amazing poise and calmness with the puck and always seems to know the right play to get it out of harms way. Drafted 147th? Damn we got a star. He will make mistakes, but he will learn from them. He's going to be here all season long.

8 We fell into the same trap we seem to always fall into no matter who is in the line up or what coach we have when we have a lead. We take the foot off the gas and cruise. That never works. Calgary should've won this game if not for some key defensive plays and stellar goaltending. Why can't we just keep pushing back and try to continue the offended for the full 60 minutes? It's frustrating to see year in and year out.

9 At the trade deadline I'd like to see U.S. trade Vrbata and Hamhuis and get a couple firsts if not more with the overpaying that comes with the deadline. Hamhuis has been great for us, but he's really lost a step and is invisible most nights. It's time to trade him like we did Bieksa when there's still some value. Vrbata same, he's been good for us, but his contract is expiring and we can't afford that type of money, better to cash in while his value is high.

10. IT'S FINALLY HOCKEY SEASON! Cup or bust, Go Canucks Go!

I've been a bit hard on Sven, because he was handed that top 6 role. He has skill no doubt, he made some slick passes. But man he is so soft, maybe if Virt rounded out the line it would balance. I don't see him sticking around very long to be homest, hope he proves me wrong!

We shall see....Ive seen way more that I like from Sven than dislike...He's got good chemistry with Bo (he got the assist on Bo's goal),and is good on the 2nd unit PP.

I didn't like the Sven/Bo/Vrby line as a whole in the first period,but its only the second game of the season..You don't throw the baby out with the bath water..Patience!

Archived