The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames vs Canucks 3-2 OT Loss

Hodgson!!

31 goals and 62 points says he's not useless to the team. When he's not producing he's still applying offensive pressure, and he's much better defensively than people give him credit for.

People are mad cause he sucked in the playoffs, but he got 4 points.

Playing passionately and getting 11 shots through 2 games against the team that eliminated you should not garner such hate.

Didnt't I say that Vrbata is useless when he isn't producing? If he delivers a regular season like he did last season, then he's a valuable piece to the team. So far with zero productivity, he's been useless...maybe he's deathly afraid of playing against the Flames? Maybe Johnny Gaudreau makes Vrbata shat his hockey pants? And no, he's not one to apply any offensive pressure. His game is designed to find open seams for feeds from other players doing the heavy lifting (you know, puck pursuit, retrieving it, finding the open man).

Vrbata playing passionately? Now that's about the funniest thing I've read in a long time. There's many good things about Vrbata, but playing with passion isn't one of them.

Didnt't I say that Vrbata is useless when he isn't producing? If he delivers a regular season like he did last season, then he's a valuable piece to the team. So far with zero productivity, he's been useless...maybe he's deathly afraid of playing against the Flames? Maybe Johnny Gaudreau makes Vrbata shat his hockey pants? And no, he's not one to apply any offensive pressure. His game is designed to find open seams for feeds from other players doing the heavy lifting (you know, puck pursuit, retrieving it, finding the open man).

Vrbata playing passionately? Now that's about the funniest thing I've read in a long time. There's many good things about Vrbata, but playing with passion isn't one of them.

Okay, Vrbata is useless when he isn't producing. Assuming that's true, he has been useless for 2 games.

He is on pace to be useless for 82 games because 0/2 x 82 = 0

Bench him?

Prust Hamhuis bear don't look like nhlers

Hamhuis was awful ... Again. sole reason they got the second goal was because of him the Ot goal you can see him watching it go it. Should have waived him and kept corrado or biega. They couldn't be any worse.

Prust is a total waste of a roster spot cap space and a contract, totally and completely ineffective. No one except Benning is surprised.

Bear the next vey a waste of a second rounder good thing he was gifted his spot because he has done nothing to deserve it.

Lol

I'm not sure how one goes from one of the leading scorer and an All Star to useless in a few months? The 2nd line needs a bit of time to gel and learn each other's tendencies. Vrbata is a pro, let's not confuse his calm and collected personality as dis-interested. He is valuable and helps to create space for the others and he can put points up. This year, there were more line juggling in the pre-season than in the past several years so there is going to be some adjustment time the players are going to need, especially having a quarter of the line up with fresh faces. The second line has made the opposition spread their focus to shut down from Sedin's line to 2 lines that can score.

For the most part the team wasn't skating well in the third period. We looked very average in the third.

Dorset was on way too much in the third. I know willy thinks he can trust dd but I thought that line was exposed the most by far. Basically the wd did a poor job of matching lines in the final twenty. Aside from tanev and Hutton our d was a revolving door of mistakes again. When you can't clear the zone against the Raymond line that's a problem.

Sedins and Bo continue to impress.

For the most part the team wasn't skating well in the third period. We looked very average in the third.

Dorset was on way too much in the third. I know willy thinks he can trust dd but I thought that line was exposed the most by far. Basically the wd did a poor job of matching lines in the final twenty. Aside from tanev and Hutton our d was a revolving door of mistakes again. When you can't clear the zone against the Raymond line that's a problem.

Sedins and Bo continue to impress.

He must like the 4th line, he had them head to head against the Monahan line a lot last night.

4th line is too slow to get in on the forecheck. Vey at least added some speed to it.

I want to see Virtanen on that line.

While I agree, the 4th line did not look good, and was slow, this post is why I can never understand CDC. "VEY SUCKS!" "VEY CAN'T PLAY ON THE 4th LINE!" "CRACKNELL'S BETTER!" "VEY SUCKS!" Now that he's been demoted. "BAERTSCHI AND VRBATA SUCK." "VET WAS OKAY." "VEY CAN PLAY THE 4th LINE!" Come on guys. Stop it. Just stop.

I'm thinking we see Vrbata moved up to the first and Sutter moved to the second pretty soon. We need to get Vrbata going, and I think Sutter could be a good fit with Bo.

Lineup I'd like to see next game:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Sutter

Burrows McCann Hansen

Dorsett Cracknell Virtanen

I think everyone wants to see Jake slot in to the lineup soon, and it's pretty clear the biggest note offensively is Vrbata's slow start with the young guns. However, WD seems skeptical to throw 3 kids on the same line right now.

Therefore, how about these proposed lines.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Sven-Horvat-Sutter

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Virtanen-Prust-Dorsett

-> Our first line from last year returns. The chemistry is obviously there, and if anything, this will boost Vrbata's trade value.

-> Sutter acts as a puck retriever, getting in on the forecheck and feeding the puck to the other 2, more offensive linemates.

-> Prust's return to C means Virtanen can slot in. Just being in the lineup is enough for Jake as he'll probably be our most versatile player moving up and down the lines.

I think everyone wants to see Jake slot in to the lineup soon, and it's pretty clear the biggest note offensively is Vrbata's slow start with the young guns. However, WD seems skeptical to throw 3 kids on the same line right now.

Therefore, how about these proposed lines.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Sven-Horvat-Sutter

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Virtanen-Prust-Dorsett

-> Our first line from last year returns. The chemistry is obviously there, and if anything, this will boost Vrbata's trade value.

-> Sutter acts as a puck retriever, getting in on the forecheck and feeding the puck to the other 2, more offensive linemates.

-> Prust's return to C means Virtanen can slot in. Just being in the lineup is enough for Jake as he'll probably be our most versatile player moving up and down the lines.

I'll be happy with about anything right now as long as we get Sven and vrbata off the same line.

I'll be happy with about anything right now as long as we get Sven and vrbata off the same line.

I thought they'd work well together since they both play a give and go game. So far it hasn't been working too well.

Vrbata's game is more suited to the Sedins line. He knows how to get to open ice and get his shot off quick. With Horvat and Baertschi he seems to be waiting for them to get the puck to him but it never comes.

Bo usually takes it to net himself, which is why Sutter is probably a better winger for him. He knows how to get in traffic and pick up rebounds.

I thought they'd work well together since they both play a give and go game. So far it hasn't been working too well.

Vrbata's game is more suited to the Sedins line. He knows how to get to open ice and get his shot off quick. With Horvat and Baertschi he seems to be waiting for them to get the puck to him but it never comes.

Bo usually takes it to net himself, which is why Sutter is probably a better winger for him. He knows how to get in traffic and pick up rebounds.

Baer got him the pick in 2-3 good scoring spots. Its not that he isnt finishing, he just, generally, looks apathetic to the flow of the game.

He must like the 4th line, he had them head to head against the Monahan line a lot last night.

Well he loved DD for sure. And I'm not taking away from DD, he's a character guy...unfortunately it's an expensive fourth line and therefore requires ice time. But the problem was they were getting schooled by the monahan line and weren't really that great in the forecheck...Prust isn't that quick and really, cracknell is the only size on that line.

I'd like to see Prust sit for jake to get more size and speed on that line. And so far jake hasn't shown any less defensively than Prust.

I never thought sven and vrby on same line would work. They need a power forward type to forecheck and retrieve the puck on that line. Vrby ain't it. That's why Virt looked so good on that line in preseason. Not sure he's ready for that role on 2nd line in reg season game.

Baer got him the pick in 2-3 good scoring spots. Its not that he isnt finishing, he just, generally, looks apathetic to the flow of the game.

Yea he had some chances. He's just gotta dial it up a bit.

It's definitely a different game playing with Horvat than it is with the Sedins though. The pace is fast and furious and the chances can come out of nowhere. Unlike with the Sedins where they work their magic for 30 seconds and then telegraph a pass right to the open guys stick.

I think everyone wants to see Jake slot in to the lineup soon, and it's pretty clear the biggest note offensively is Vrbata's slow start with the young guns. ....

Huh??? A 2 game sample in which everyone on the line has a point so is on pace for 42 for the season? That seems to be an awfully small sample size to condemn the Baer-Bo-Virbata line.

I never thought sven and vrby on same line would work. They need a power forward type to forecheck and retrieve the puck on that line. Vrby ain't it. That's why Virt looked so good on that line in preseason. Not sure he's ready for that role on 2nd line in reg season game.

J.R. made essentially that point in another thread, though his solution was different. See http://forum.canucks.com/topic/372516-2nd-line-forechecker/

Like I said in 1st period of game 1. Vrby is in contract year. Hes having a hissy

fit playing with a rookie and sophomore. Vrby wants to be on sedin line to get points for a better contract next year.

Hamhuis was awful ... ...Should have waived him ...

I hope your day job isn't working as an investment counsellor or manager. Waiving Hamhuis would be just about the ultimate in poor asset management.

I stopped reading at that point.

Archived