The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we only run two lines in 3 on 3?

Sedin Brothers

I can't be the only one who was dumbfounded to see Sutter and Hansen in on the 3 on 3. The only rationale I could think of for Willie putting them in against Calgary's first line is to not over-play the Sedin's. Still, it was clear that there was no chemistry, causing the game-winning goal.

Don't get this thread backwards, I like Willie and I love the four lines, mentality. But in a 3 on 3 OT would you question whether or not we should role that extra line in such an intense part of the game? The Sedin's dominated in the OT period possession-wise.

What do you guys think?

I can't be the only one who was dumbfounded to see Sutter and Hansen in on the 3 on 3. The only rationale I could think of for Willie putting them in against Calgary's first line is to not over-play the Sedin's. Still, it was clear that there was no chemistry, causing the game-winning goal.

Don't get this thread backwards, I like Willie and I love the four lines, mentality. But in a 3 on 3 OT would you question whether or not we should role that extra line in such an intense part of the game? The Sedin's dominated in the OT period possession-wise.

What do you guys think?

The impression I got was that the twins were ready to go back out but he saw the time left and made a choice to put out a checking line vs Calgarys top unit to get a better matchup at the end of OT for the twins. It didn't work out well but had they held them off that shift we would have had great pressure for the final shift.

Calgary won because that's exactly what they did (rolled 2 lines in 3 on 3). I'm going to have to agree. If the twins were out there we would have not lost in OT.

You can't say we wouldn't have, may not have sure.

I would agree that you want your best players on as much as you can in 3/3 OT.

Sedin Brothers You should go to a BCHL game and ask players and coaches whats it like to play 3 on 3 overtime. From what I've seen in the past you can't just run 2 lines for 5 mins. Imo you have more ice to cover and its more for players that have not just skill but speed.

Calgary won because that's exactly what they did (rolled 2 lines in 3 on 3). I'm going to have to agree. If the twins were out there we would have not lost in OT.

Who's to say had they played another min or longer that Calgary players would have been more tired for playing only two lines? And you have no idea if the Twins were out there they wouldn't lose in overtime. 3 On 3 you have to cover more ice Canut and the Sedins haven't been known for foot speed . Like I said to Sedins Brothers you should go to a BCHL game and ask players or coaches. Most of the time you would have two forwards and one Dmen and roll with 3 lines.

Skill and speed are a must. The best 9 players in that game should be used during overtime. The strategy should be total offense, forget about a checking line. Play to win.

I would have put virt in, great speed and a great shot.....

He should be playing and get a shot to show us he can help the team, there are times a player like him can be a huge bennifit to the team and sitting him is questionable.

I'm sure Willie will learn from this and consider it next time.

Like Henrik said in pre-season, in 3 on 3 you really just have to weather the offensive storm and hope your goalie makes the save on the shot so you can take the puck the other way.

Resting the Sedins made sense. Like another poster mentioned, playing 3 on 3 with that much open ice to cover is more tiring than 5 on 5.

i think willie's decisions are fine...in the game i watched, sutter had a man open and just failed to get it to him...it doesn't mean, he shouldn't have been there...speed on 3 on 3 is important...i thought that group was good...sometimes things work out and sometimes, they don't...don't over analyze it...

Archived