The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn (Discussion)

Could/should canucks take a risk on Luke Schenn?

6 years ago Luke Schenn was a member of the leafs, He's was the next big thing according leafs nation, and at one point burke said Schenn was untouchable (before he traded him a year later). Fast forward to today, he's 25 turning 26 (in nov) and has been flirting with healthy scratch status. His confidence has been dropping every year since being dealt to Philadelphia. The trade rumours have been surrounding him for a while now but with one year left on his contract, it would appear his time in Philly could be coming to an end. There was even strong rumours that he could have been waived before the opening night. Soo....

Is he worth canucks taking a risk on? If he could pick up his game he would fill a hole that canucks seem to be missing on the back end. He's a hard hitting, defensive defenceman, with a right handed shot. If will could bring up his game to a top 4 level again he'd fit right in to our roster.

Edler Tanev

Hutton Schenn

If he doesn't work out, his contract is up at the year end so it's not a real loss, as long as we don't give up too much.

Canucks are right next to the cap, so in order to take on his 3.6 cap hit canucks would need to send that cap hit going back the other way. If canucks could pick up him up for cheap, would he be someone you'd be willing to take a risk on?

Cheap as in:

Higgins + (vey/weber/Jensen/late draft pick)

Only after we trade miller back to buffalo for their 1st this or next year now that lehner is hurt

Gonna need that cap space to take on his contract

Depends who we'd send back. You send Higgins + weber and canucks are fine. Even if Flyers are willing to retain 900K it evens out in a Higgins + a prospect.

Schenn is UFA at the year end so it not something we'd be stuck with if he continues to flop.

I think Buf waits it out, maybe the go after hiller since flames are stuck carrying 3 goalies, but they realize this year they aren't cup contenders, they already gave up a first for Lehner last year and he is still their planned future so they wont be giving up much for a temporary solution.

I like Luke Schenn's game. A lot more stable in his own end and has a nasty edge to his game.

Despite being 6'2 and 224 pounds, he moves well for a big guy. He would be a welcomed addition to our blueline.

Maybe even sweeten the pot a bit a maybe we can pull Brayden Schenn along with him haha

Sbisa for Schenn straight up

I doubt Philadelphia would have any interest in this. They want to clear cap not take more on. All this does is add 3.6 million of cap hit to Philadelphia for 2 more years and they gain a player that would hold no relevance to their success.

Not to mention Philadelphia doesn't need to specifically bring in defense given their defensive prospect pool and them somewhat in the middle of a rebuild. IMO they would probably most inclined to look for a draft pick or a winger.

Philly is where Sbisa began his prolific career. I doubt they have any interest in bringing him back. They are also on the hook for Andrew MacDonald's contract. As far as Schenn, the Flyers are eagerly awaiting the end of that mistake. They will probably retain and try to move him for a pick if possible.

Schenn basically has no value at the moment, and is in the way of Philly having any breathing room in terms of cap space, so now would be a great time to snag him, if you see potential in him.

And honestly, IMO, he fills a Canucks need. A right-sided, right-handed, big crease clearing defensemen. He has potential even if he's at a low point in his career, he's only 25 and could really get back on track.

Plus, I really want GMJB to target Brayden Schenn next off-season, so this might be a way to get the inside track on retaining Brayden if it were possible to get his rights.

So far this season, Luke has played 17 and 18 minutes, which tells me the coach still sees potential in him, even if he's been struggling. But it also tells me that a huge part of the reason Schenn is talked about so poorly, is because of his big cap hit. I bet most teams would love to have him on the team for 2-2.5M.

Having Weber & Bartkowski in the line-up seemed really bad to me, they're both too weak defensively, and Bartkowski makes horrible pinches (or at least has so far this year). Having two defensive holes for any amount of time will kill the Canucks' playoff ambitions IMO.

But, like you mentioned, the Canucks don't have much cap space. What I would like to see is:

Yannick Weber + a late pick for Luke Schenn minus 20-25 percent of his salary.

That still gives Philly 1-1.5M more in cap space, and all they need with a full roster is a bit of breathing room, and it fills a Canucks need IMO.

Also, Edler and Schenn were teammates in Kelowna, I'm not sure if they played together much, but Edler was first in defensive scoring and Schenn was 3rd, and Edler the highest LHed and Schenn the highest RHed, so that tells me they spent some time together, if not only on the PP, but I could be wrong.

In any case, I think it's a good idea, even though everyone will jump on it because of the way Schenn's game is perceived. I think he fills a hole and is a better depth option than Weber, partially because of the strength and defensive difference, and Hutton looks like he can replace a decent amount of Weber's PP ability.

Philly is where Sbisa began his prolific career. I doubt they have any interest in bringing him back. They are also on the hook for Andrew MacDonald's contract. As far as Schenn, the Flyers are eagerly awaiting the end of that mistake. They will probably retain and try to move him for a pick if possible.

To be fair, Sbisa looked like he had high potential back then and was only traded..because Chris Pronger.

I guess it comes down to what the flyers wants in return. As you said with Schenn’s low value they don’t have a lot of bargaining.

If it’s just a cap dump, then canucks could look to move Higgins for a pick and then flip that pick over to the flyers for Schenn.

Schenn at 900k retained, equals 2.5.

But looking at the flyers depth chart, they are fairly week on the LW. So maybe a 40 point player like Higgins is something they wouldn’t mind getting in return.

On vancouver’s side bringing in Schenn would mean a current D (likely Weber) is on the outs. It also means a salary like Higgins is moved to fit under the cap.

I do think Schenn’s type of play is something canucks are missing on their back end. A crease clearing D that likes to throw his weight around. The fact that he has a right handed shot is a bonus. Low risk (1 year, low assets giving up), with a potential for med/high return.

So far this season, Luke has played 17 and 18 minutes, which tells me the coach still sees potential in him, even if he's been struggling. But it also tells me that a huge part of the reason Schenn is talked about so poorly, is because of his big cap hit. I bet most teams would love to have him on the team for 2-2.5M.

Luke was seeing 17-18 minutes because the Flyers current NHL roster defensemen are garbage (Streit, Del Zotto, Schultz, Schenn, Medvedev, Gudas, Manning). All of their defensive potential is still sitting in juniors or the AHL. He barely even made that group as he was skating as a 4th pair with Manning before the season started and was considered being waived if not traded. But they let him start the season only to go back to making him a healthy scratch (he did not play in the Flyers 1-0 shutout on the Panthers).

Schenn is basically Denis Gauthier. A hard hitting 3rd pair defender who will often put himself in bad position looking for hits.

The only time he looked kind of good in Philadelphia was when he played with Kimmo Timonen before Kimmo's age caught him but that was mainly because Kimmo could protect him.

Luke was seeing 17-18 minutes because the Flyers current NHL roster defensemen are garbage (Streit, Del Zotto, Schultz, Schenn, Medvedev, Gudas, Manning). All of their defensive potential is still sitting in juniors or the AHL. He barely even made that group as he was skating as a 4th pair with Manning before the season started and was considered being waived if not traded. But they let him start the season only to go back to making him a healthy scratch (he did not play in the Flyers 1-0 shutout on the Panthers).

Schenn is basically Denis Gauthier. A hard hitting 3rd pair defender who will often put himself in bad position looking for hits.

The only time he looked kind of good in Philadelphia was when he played with Kimmo Timonen before Kimmo's age caught him but that was mainly because Kimmo could protect him.

Okay, fair enough. Which makes his value even lower. Pretty clear he could use a change of scenery.

Weber for Schenn minus 20 percent of his salary could be a fair deal then, and Weber would be a fine depth defenseman and PP guy on a team with that defensive roster.

I guess it comes down to what the flyers wants in return. As you said with Schenn’s low value they don’t have a lot of bargaining.

If it’s just a cap dump, then canucks could look to move Higgins for a pick and then flip that pick over to the flyers for Schenn.

Schenn at 900k retained, equals 2.5.

But looking at the flyers depth chart, they are fairly week on the LW. So maybe a 40 point player like Higgins is something they wouldn’t mind getting in return.

On vancouver’s side bringing in Schenn would mean a current D (likely Weber) is on the outs. It also means a salary like Higgins is moved to fit under the cap.

I do think Schenn’s type of play is something canucks are missing on their back end. A crease clearing D that likes to throw his weight around. The fact that he has a right handed shot is a bonus. Low risk (1 year, low assets giving up), with a potential for med/high return.

Yeah, I don't think they could command much. In a Higgins for Schenn swap, the Canucks take on 1.1M of a cap hit, which would be pretty hard to swallow at this point in the season, so maybe later in the year, or maybe a different swap. Since Weber's full cap hit can't be fit into the minors, I'd prefer to see him moved for Schenn.

But basically I agree with you.

sbisa would be logical choice.

weber and higgins for schenn and a third round pick. 4th if they miss playoffs

we may have to retain a small amount on weber to make them cap compliant, would free up a roster spot for a rookie for us aswell.

Why do we want Schenn? Could he be as good as a young Beiksa? Or, is he an over paid # 6/7?

I'd try to sign him during the off-season, to something like a 1 year/ $1.5 million "show-me" deal.

With the Flyers' kids most likely coming up soon I think he'd go UFA.

At most I'd just hope that J.B. would steal him for something like a 3rd at the deadline.

If Hammer goes but Luke rebounds nicely and Hutton can become top-4 material, the D-group suddenly looks solid.

In short, he'd be a nice buy-low guy but not much else.

Archived