The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tony Gallagher

OrrFour

I don't understand posters who complain that he was negative. It was his job to give his opinion on the canucks, not do public relations or sell for them. Mostly positive columns would be boring.

This message board is extremely negative. It's built around criticizing and nit-picking every decision that the canucks organization makes. If everyone here incessantly cheered for the team it would die a quick death.

We all enjoy criticizing the canucks and their trades, draft picks, lines, contracts, concession food, ticket prices, uniforms, logos, even the goal songs!

Tony has forgotten more about hockey that the total membership of CDC has learned about it. What his detractors want is a cheerleader, not a journalist or critic.

Not, what his detractors want -- this one, at least -- is a columnist who can write fluid English sentences, who can construct an argument that doesn't always hinge on petulance and joyless sarcasm, and who doesn't show his personal biases so transparently.

Tall order, I suppose. Still, a reader would hope he'd learn on the job at just a little during his decades-long futility of scribbling.

Not, what his detractors want -- this one, at least -- is a columnist who can write fluid English sentences, who can construct an argument that doesn't always hinge on petulance and joyless sarcasm, and who doesn't show his personal biases so transparently.

Tall order, I suppose. Still, a reader would hope he'd learn on the job at just a little during his decades-long futility of scribbling.

I'll give you that his specialty was "joyless sarcasm" - a pretty good description you chose - but I felt it provided color and fleshed out the coverage of sports in Vancouver as a whole. I generally didn't find his ability to construct sentences in proper English to be a problem.

Tony has forgotten more about hockey that the total membership of CDC has learned about it. What his detractors want is a cheerleader, not a journalist or critic.

So because we don't like Tony's articles we suddenly want a cheerleader? No. That's not what I want at least.

I want to see someone who doesn't just whine about the sport. I want to see someone who doesn't spread needless negative propaganda.

Tony doesn't criticize. Tony whines about the team. There's a difference. Tony will literally look for any way to twist a player's sentence around to make it sound negative, or a stat, or anything. That's not being constructive at all. That's just making stuff up to be negative.

Archived