The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tony Gallagher

OrrFour

Now that Tony G is gone, and before him Neil M, are there any reporter types that will actually take an opposing point of view to the Canucks - even when times are seemingly good? I know back east the same forced retirement was pushed on Al Strachen, because of his pointing out an opposing view.

I have no respect for Tony g and al Strachan was worse. Absolutely couldn't stand LA Strachan.

I have no respect for Tony g and al Strachan was worse. Absolutely couldn't stand LA Strachan.

That's why I liked those guys. Much as you did just now, they voiced their opinions - whether people agreed with those opinions was not what was most important to them.

Look at how Tom Larscheid got canned after 35 years for criticizing Mike Gillis' GM moves, and Larscheid was an undisputed local legend.

Loved by some hated, by others. He was also getting on in years. Personally I found him embarrassing to listen to at times. I am happy to be rid of "bingo bango bongo"-isms.

Tony wasn't anti-Canuck until players in the locker room wanted him out. I'm pretty sure it was the creep factor of him.

Then from that point on he was heavily anti-Canuck.

He was still critical but he's mellowed over the years. The fact he couldn't let go of his hatred of Pat Quinn even after Quinn died speaks volumes.

He's techincally a good writer. He just covers a subject he had no real interest in. He would have been a phenomenal economic writer since he seems to be all about money.

Tony is a different cat. I don't want everybody being the same. That's a dull world. I don't always agree with Tony, but that doesn't really matter.

Exactly. He can be so wrong.. Mayor of Wrongville wrong.. but he never misses an opportunity to blast Bettman. The Crypt Keeper vs. Count Dracula. And he takes on the officials when no one else does. He's the consummate conspiracy theorist, and goes too far at times but yeah. I like variety and balls in my pundits.

And that includes Botchford.

These guys all know they get more listeners/viewers/readers if they run down the team....try to get people upset.

His job was not to give accurate and honest information........it was to make the most money..talking about the local hockey team

Archived