The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tony Gallagher

OrrFour

Does anyone actually know what exactly happened to him. Did he retire, was he forced to retire? Maybe Linden finally did what Pat Quinn couldn't and got him fired. Did he get to write a final 'goodbye' column?

He was on the radio pre game show. The guy must be ancient, and he looks really sickly too. He's kind of fungus looking. I wonder if he purposely avoids sunlight?

He was crossing over into whiny, nobody needs that. A Debbie Downer thing that was sucking the joy out of hockey. There was no zest for the game left from what I saw, it was always whiny.

It's one thing to have an edge and pull no punches, it's another to constantly look for negatives.

He was past his expiry date.

Tony is probably one of the top two or three hockey writers ever to work in this market. Agree disagree, he was almost always a good read. The very knowledgeable Grant Kerr who wrote for one of the wire services (Canadian Press?) was the only guy I liked reading (or listening to an radio panels) more.

Exactly. He can be so wrong.. Mayor of Wrongville wrong.. but he never misses an opportunity to blast Bettman. The Crypt Keeper vs. Count Dracula. And he takes on the officials when no one else does. He's the consummate conspiracy theorist, and goes too far at times but yeah. I like variety and balls in my pundits.

And that includes Botchford.

The sad thing is, I have never seen someone refute any of his comments-just name calling. To quote the late great Christopher Hitchens with regards to the G Man's fallacies, "Name one".

He was crossing over into whiny, nobody needs that. A Debbie Downer thing that was sucking the joy out of hockey. There was no zest for the game left from what I saw, it was always whiny.

It's one thing to have an edge and pull no punches, it's another to constantly look for negatives.

He was past his expiry date.

I disagree. He raised many comments, and was rarely taken to task on them, beyond name calling.

After growing up with the great sports columns of Jim Taylor (Canucks, Lions), the contrast to a later Tony Gallagher was shocking. Taylor had imagination, humour, creativity, and most importantly, good writing skills. Gallagher, OTOH, was witless, patronizing, ridiculously reactionary, and regularly bungled the English language even in simple grammatical constructions.

Good riddance.

good riddance a good reporter should be balanced not 100 percent negative nancy like he was

I was never a fan of Tony Gallagher (and he still does a regular feature on TSN 1040) but I appreciated what he was trying to do. He was the opposite of a homer. He seemed to see his role as to be the devil's advocate - the guy who would always take the opposing viewpoint.

I think that made his columns interesting and worth reading although I disagreed with him most of the time.

He's been here since day 1 (1970's).....I think his memoirs would be a good read.

Same here. He's been a fixture in the local sports market for decades and it's kind of sad that when someone with his record retires, the majority of a thread on a site devoted to the team he covered is saying "about damn time."

Honestly, his articles are kind of like hearing Richard Loney or Tom Larscheid. They're part of the experience of being a Canucks fan for decades.

I'm pretty sure that 20 years from now, I'll just remember David Pratt and Bro Jake as the guys I would change the channel away from every morning on the radio, but Gallagher has been part of the Canucks experience for me.

Archived