The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tony Gallagher

OrrFour

people forget . Tony wasn't just a hockey writer , the guy was one of the greatest nhlers to play the game . His physical brand of hockey was a revelation , and his goal scoring ability unmatched .. he spoke about a game he knew and lived .

he was a mix of Cam neely and Mark twain .

Good riddance! I will never forget tony and Geoff court all on tsn's Off The Record and they were talking about the current (at the time) state of affairs with the Canucks... Tony went on a rant and Geoff lit into him on misreporting the whole Bure situation and how it went down. Geoff pointed out as Bure's friend that he writes anything to disgrace Canucks ownership and management and he should start a different career! Best OTR ever lol

So many mushrooms here!

If the NHL, management or team says it is so, then it must be right, they are never wrong, ever!

Here is an example of pre-conceived notions;

TG points out how dominant the west is over the east, the west teams just running over the eastern teams.

TG points out that the NHL has special meeting in the morning.

TG points out that the very next games western teams are getting 3 to 5 penalties to none in the first period after the meeting.

Now what is the take on that? Has TG lied? Has TG accused? Or did TG just report what happened that day?

Apparently if reporters aren't prepared to sing coombaya with the powers that run the show, they get labeled crack pots, accused of not knowing anything, etc....

Just remember that Bettman testified under oath, that the NHL is one single entity and that there is NO COMPETITION between the teams, they are an entertainment business. This statement under oath is in the court records of the Arizona bankruptcy case.

Now what do you make of that? That is a fact, that's all.

Besides it is refreshing to hear what is happening rather than what is being sold.

The guy could never find a good take on anything Canuck related. He missed his way, he should have been a hit man. I don't miss him one bit.

What a bizarre thread.

Surely you jest or just have not read much of his work? Was it not he who even wrote a praising book on the Canucks? Cue bass solo!

The guy could never find a good take on anything Canuck related. He missed his way, he should have been a hit man. I don't miss him one bit.

What a bizarre thread.

Why is it a bizarre?

TG was pretty straight forward when asked his opinion. It basically answered a lot of questions and sometimes even emulated on what I was thinking.

To call this thread bizarre is bizarre in itself due the fact that it is an opinion of the OPs thoughts. The is nothing bizarre about opinions. I feel you are trying to post some real fact bending information but you have NO proof what so ever to back your statement.

So many mushrooms here!

If the NHL, management or team says it is so, then it must be right, they are never wrong, ever!

Here is an example of pre-conceived notions;

TG points out how dominant the west is over the east, the west teams just running over the eastern teams.

TG points out that the NHL has special meeting in the morning.

TG points out that the very next games western teams are getting 3 to 5 penalties to none in the first period after the meeting.

Now what is the take on that? Has TG lied? Has TG accused? Or did TG just report what happened that day?

What are you on about? This has literally nothing to do with the many justified criticisms of the crypt-keeper.

Can't we just get some more brainless cheerleaders? Perhaps Bro Jake wants to write a hockey column.

ugh, Bro Jake and Pratt are the worst... always have terrible jokes and Pratt is stubborn and never wants to "lose" an argument.\

On Tony G, I loved how he articulated a string of words into quite a picture and the fact he used alliteration and metaphors like a pro.

Sure didn't agree with all of his remarks but I found that he was quite a character had good NHL stories to share and had a decent overall insight.

ugh, Bro Jake and Pratt are the worst... always have terrible jokes and Pratt is stubborn and never wants to "lose" an argument.\

On Tony G, I loved how he articulated a string of words into quite a picture and the fact he used alliteration and metaphors like a pro.

Sure didn't agree with all of his remarks but I found that he was quite a character had good NHL stories to share and had a decent overall insight.

That's the thing. Few BC sports reporters, and a far smaller percentage when you consider the radio personalities, have Tony's command of the English language, regardless of whether one agrees with his views on this or that. He was one of the small minority left these days that was a real writer or journalist.

And he was probably the last guy left that I could picture hammering away at a typewriter in a smoke-filled room to make his deadlines, which added a little bit of authenticity and nostalgia to the whole thing.

Are we talking about the same Tony Gallagher? The journalist who, in his umpteenth decade as a writer for a major city rag, couldn't align subject and predicate, set down ABC syntax so's to make a simple declarative sentence understandable, or come up with any other angle for an article other than hyperbole and petulance?

The guy was an incompetent drone.

Are we talking about the same Tony Gallagher? The journalist who, in his umpteenth decade as a writer for a major city rag, couldn't align subject and predicate, set down ABC syntax so's to make a simple declarative sentence understandable, or come up with any other angle for an article other than hyperbole and petulance?

The guy was an incompetent drone.

I don't know Barry, I would have to say Mr Gallagher's command of the language was superior to that of most sports writers' in the market. As I said before, he was probably second only to Grant Kerr as hockey-dedicated writers in this market go. sure, Jim Taylor, Dick Beddoes, Denny Boyd, Jim Coleman and Clancy Loranger were all better pure writers, but none of them were NHL beat guys. Tony was a hockey writer.

I don't know Barry, I would have to say Mr Gallagher's command of the language was superior to that of most sports writers' in the market. As I said before, he was probably second only to Grant Kerr as hockey-dedicated writers in this market go. sure, Jim Taylor, Dick Beddoes, Denny Boyd, Jim Coleman and Clancy Loranger were all better pure writers, but none of them were NHL beat guys. Tony was a hockey writer.

I grant you that.

The thing that irked me more that anything about Gallagher, though, was that he'd been a writer for decades yet he never improved his writing skills or his approach to a column. Sure, I get that he was often under tight deadlines (though he also had his share of off-day "think" pieces), but there's still time in the quieter hours to plan an approach that wasn't always snarky recap overlaying a hysterical, blown-up narrative.

Archived