The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our team's style of play

DefCon1

It seems to me that ever since Benning took over, he has slowly been implementing the blueprint that got the Bruins to the finals. The injection of youth into the lineup, the rolling of four lines with the fourth line being very similar to what the Bruins had when they made the playoffs and also the type of players that have been drafted and signed. The lineup contains a lot of speed and also has lots of 2 way forwards which kind of resembles how the Bruins were constructed during their cup run. Addition of Sutter (similar to Chris Kelly) and Prust (Shawn Thornton) along with youngsters like Virtanen (future lucic) and McCann (our poor man's tyler seguin) and Hutton (like a young Hamilton) has been reminding me of how the Bruins won the cup. That cup winning lineup had a mix of veterans and rookies along with enforcers that kept the opposition honest. We are definitely going in the right direction and I trust Benning's methods of slowly injecting youth rather than discarding all the vets at the same time and rushing kids into the NHL (ala Edmonton Oilers way)

Funny...was thinking the same thing as I watched the nucks compete physically with the ducks and kings. Really liking how this edition of the team is shaping up.

Every team wants to play fast, skilled and hard hockey but Benning is actually icing us the right players.

Before 2012 Gillis's top draft picks of Hodgson, Schroeder, McNally, Jensen, Connauton and Corrado would fill a mediocre 4th line.

He would mostly go moneyball to get value for money but low ceiling players like Alberts, Ebbett, Glass, Oreskovich, Bitz, Santorelli, Dalpe, etc.

When he did take a risk it's also on mediocre players like Bernier, Ballard and Booth.

Benning really does make tough decisions but highly values quality and consistency. He trades a lot for Sutter who has a track record of success, he clears out average but overachievers like Matthias to make room for higher ceiling upgrades like Virtanen, he gets rid of low probability of hitting potential players in Corrado, Kassian and Vey to make room for higher ceiling, higher probability, more consistent players like Hutton and McCann. Although unpopular with moves like the Lack trade, I like how Benning targets quality even if that means sacrificing good but not great players.

It's funny how all the talk about our team turning into a big band of hulking meat heads has gone away as well. I'm really happy with the compete level of this team. You can just see they all want to be a winning team together and not individually. People I think were too quick to dismiss Prust and what he CAN bring to the table. He has other tangibles other than fighting! Anyways, good post OP. I agree. Things are lookin good! ...but of course being the beginning of the season...I will take it with a grain of salt.

Win or lose i'm just going to be happy if we play a hard honest game every night.

Every team wants to play fast, skilled and hard hockey but Benning is actually icing us the right players.

Before 2012 Gillis's top draft picks of Hodgson, Schroeder, McNally, Jensen, Connauton and Corrado would fill a mediocre 4th line.

He would mostly go moneyball to get value for money but low ceiling players like Alberts, Ebbett, Glass, Oreskovich, Bitz, Santorelli, Dalpe, etc.

When he did take a risk it's also on mediocre players like Bernier, Ballard and Booth.

Benning really does make tough decisions but highly values quality and consistency. He trades a lot for Sutter who has a track record of success, he clears out average but overachievers like Matthias to make room for higher ceiling upgrades like Virtanen, he gets rid of low probability of hitting potential players in Corrado, Kassian and Vey to make room for higher ceiling, higher probability, more consistent players like Hutton and McCann. Although unpopular with moves like the Lack trade, I like how Benning targets quality even if that means sacrificing good but not great players.

The Lack trade was only unpopular with fans who don't understand other than social media.

In the four games I have seen I’ve noticed that the Canucks are much faster than previous incarnations.

I think Benning’s draft strategy has been solid. I know some of you will disagree, but the style of player’s he’s picked and the waivers he’s picked up have cut the length of any sort of rebuild in half. Also, the Sedins are now on their way to aging out (still very relevant at the moment) but you can see the influence of their play style in the up and coming players. I don’t know if this is from the time they spent with the kids in training camp, sharing tech, or if it’s once again Benning pick strategy, but I’ve noticed a lot of faster transition play when turn overs happen. There’s less getting the puck and circling around which takes time and more attempts at no look behind or tip passed in the transition which makes for awesome situations going into the offensive zone.

One of the downsides is the inexperience of some of the new guys. You can see simple mistakes happening but they haven’t really cost the team much anything this year, though it’s early, so I won’t go into detail.

Miller’s been a beast and he says he wants to compete. Maybe he will be a renaissance man of sorts and find his Olympic form of years ago.

I’m just tired of seeing our dregs and prospects getting eaten up by the leafs or winding up in T.O. via another route because of the waiver system. Ugh.

It seems to me that ever since Benning took over, he has slowly been implementing the blueprint that got the Bruins to the finals. The injection of youth into the lineup, the rolling of four lines with the fourth line being very similar to what the Bruins had when they made the playoffs and also the type of players that have been drafted and signed. The lineup contains a lot of speed and also has lots of 2 way forwards which kind of resembles how the Bruins were constructed during their cup run. Addition of Sutter (similar to Chris Kelly) and Prust (Shawn Thornton) along with youngsters like Virtanen (future lucic) and McCann (our poor man's tyler seguin) and Hutton (like a young Hamilton) has been reminding me of how the Bruins won the cup. That cup winning lineup had a mix of veterans and rookies along with enforcers that kept the opposition honest. We are definitely going in the right direction and I trust Benning's methods of slowly injecting youth rather than discarding all the vets at the same time and rushing kids into the NHL (ala Edmonton Oilers way)

Hamilton didn't play in the NHL when the Bruins won the Cup, & to be honest I don't think this year's Canucks play all that much like the '11 B's.

Archived