The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suspect Dead, 10 Hurt in Attack at B.C. Office

nucklehead

^^ And there it is. The conspiracy comes out that no one is safe unless everyone has the same access to weapons that the people that are meant to protect us do.

Yup, no point in trying to have an intelligent debate with anyone who truly feels they'd be under attack even if there weren't bad guys (in the traditional sense) any more.

The story seems to suggest that the victim was one person targeted and the others that got hurt were basically trying to stop it from happening. It sounds fairly planned / premeditated to me. Obviously the guy wasn't going for mass casualties in this particular situation.

In other words, the attacker wasn't worried about hurting others to get to the one he wanted if that's the case. Or was he just so committed at that point that he felt he had to injure others to continue to try and get at the target regardless of his concern for the well being of others?

I'm not sure that person thought through using a single target instrument that requires close quarters versus something that would seemingly be much easier to use from a distance and still have the required effect. If I were sitting and planning this for any kind of extended period I'd probably have thought of that considering you note just how easy it would be for someone to learn to build and use such a device.

Seriously, his plan was the use a hammer to go after someone in a office full of people and you're saying he thought this through to the level that it all made sense logically rather than being largely emotion-driven?

Why would gun control be such a bad thing? Especially if they hired people like certain posters who can so readily tell the difference between "bad" people and "good" people. How many times have we heard "he was a quiet person who kept to himself?" There almost always turns out to be signs that were ignored. Gun control doesn't mean take away all guns!!

On topic, what happened was tragic. People at work attacked by a disturbed individual. I wonder if they knew ahead of time if he was a "bad" one.

^^ And there it is. The conspiracy comes out that no one is safe unless everyone has the same access to weapons that the people that are meant to protect us do.

Yup, no point in trying to have an intelligent debate with anyone who truly feels they'd be under attack even if there weren't bad guys (in the traditional sense) any more.

In other words, the attacker wasn't worried about hurting others to get to the one he wanted if that's the case. Or was he just so committed at that point that he felt he had to injure others to continue to try and get at the target regardless of his concern for the well being of others?

I'm not sure that person thought through using a single target instrument that requires close quarters versus something that would seemingly be much easier to use from a distance and still have the required effect. If I were sitting and planning this for any kind of extended period I'd probably have thought of that considering you note just how easy it would be for someone to learn to build and use such a device.

Seriously, his plan was the use a hammer to go after someone in a office full of people and you're saying he thought this through to the level that it all made sense logically rather than being largely emotion-driven?

You must not be familiar with the US Supreme Court decision that stated that the police have no duty to protect us.

And, AGAIN, YOU have the responsibility to protect yourself. It falls on no one but you. Apparently you don't get that.

So I guess if you get robbed/threatened with a death, tell the perpetrator to hold on a second while you call the police to come protect you. Or you could protect yourself by having situational awareness and having the proper tool to defend yourself. Me? I'd pick the latter because I understand that I'm responsible and capable in protecting myself.

And what are you talking about by "no bad guys anymore"? Did they magically disappear? Did they spontaneously get a conscience and the will to do no wrong? What are you talking about?

Why would gun control be such a bad thing? Especially if they hired people like certain posters who can so readily tell the difference between "bad" people and "good" people. How many times have we heard "he was a quiet person who kept to himself?" There almost always turns out to be signs that were ignored. Gun control doesn't mean take away all guns!!

On topic, what happened was tragic. People at work attacked by a disturbed individual. I wonder if they knew ahead of time if he was a "bad" one.

Because the pro-control lobby typically only looks at it from one perspective, the victim du jour, and how it might possibly have been prevented if "gun-control" was in place. It's a knee-jerk reaction, instead of looking at the consequences of establishing stricter controls.

Proposed controls may have prevented Sandy Hook, but not Columbine, or Virginia Tech, or... (FYI, I am just stating shooting events for the sake of example, as I do not know the details of each event enough to know what kind of control would have helped in each case). But would one of those controls have prohibited other people in another city from protecting themselves from being attacked by criminals? Are you willing to arbitrarily decide that one unknown innocent life is more valuable than another?

Some states have better laws than others. Some states have stricter, although arguably better, laws. But there are actual laws here. Could some of the laws be better, probably. Am I open to stricter gun control laws? Maybe. Depends on what is being proposed. Most people just throw out the phrase as the panacea to all our violence woes.

BTW, good on you for your last sentence. This thread got derailed quickly. Who knows. Maybe he was good, but something happened to trigger something (no pun intended)? I suppose the Internet will help us learn soon enough.

My preparation for the "bad guys" that don't exist, according to elvis...

Is this supposed to bolster your 'argument' in any way? Seems nothing more than trying to further emphasize a self-grandiose attitude than anything else.

Oh yes, there was a topic up there on the first page....

RCMP said they were called just before 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to a report of a man with a weapon at the Bridge River Band Office near Lillooet.

When police arrived they found the suspect already restrained.

"RCMP members arrested the male but were unable to transport him as he became unconscious and unresponsive," police said in a news release.

The officers started CPR, but resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful and the man was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

The injured people have been taken to hospitals around the region.

Hopefully the only death that occurs as a result of this attack with a hammer is the death of the suspect in the case.

If those are metal barrels you are risking ricochets.

It seems that there is a bit of a wall off to the left, and directly in front help keep your shots in, but was there a wall on the right?

No, the barrels are plastic so it's safe. :) And yeah, there's berms on both sides and the back. It's specifically set up for a 180 degree course of fire.

I saw B... I mean Cerridwen, commented but apparently even after I tell her she's blocked she tries to butt in with her pretentious condescending comments. At least that's my assumption. I'm not perfect though, so I could be wrong. :P

No, the barrels are plastic so it's safe. :) And yeah, there's berms on both sides and the back. It's specifically set up for a 180 degree course of fire.

I saw B... I mean Cerridwen, commented but apparently even after I tell her she's blocked she tries to butt in with her pretentious condescending comments. At least that's my assumption. I'm not perfect though, so I could be wrong. :P

You've blocked her?

That's a pretty cowardly thing to do for such a tough guy...

Common sense is knowing that places with the most restrictive gun laws have the most violent crime. I guess you missed that part in the earlier part of the thread.

We are talking about guns and gun related deaths. A violent crime means any crime that uses or threatens to use violence. I punch a guy in the face and that is considered a violent crime, I threaten to punch a guy, that is considered a violent crime. The difference between a gun restricted country and a non-gun restricted country means the violent offender must use something other then a gun to do the crime. The fact that highly violent countries have highly-restrictive laws makes sense as to lower the amount of violent people who have guns, almost like its... common sense? Did you happen to miss that part? Using common sense? Or do you still think giving a highly-violent society more guns is common sense?

Yes, it does. We already have enough bad, strong people preying on good, weak people today, despite the presence of police officers putting themselves in harm's way. Strengthening said good, weak people will enable them to better protect themselves from those bad people. The police don't always get on the scene in time. You make it sound like everyone will start shooting everyone else just for the hell of it.

Part of the problem with the way you describe matters is that it appears that you think everyone is the same, and no one looks out for you except the government. If even one person in each household that wanted to participate could be armed and properly trained, and was not shown to have mental health issues, that person could protect the whole household. That person might even have the strength of character to keep an eye out for their neighbor and friends, too, to help protect someone else.

So, no worrying about my grandma (both have already passed, but that's besides the point), or my kids. If things were as bad here as in Bocivus' area, I could choose to be properly armed and trained, even if they themselves chose not to arm themselves. And even though it is not that bad here, there is still value in having that ability. You never know what will happen. You can only try to be prepared. Or not... your choice.

It is comforting to know that you would love to see me or a family member of mine killed. Such a caring person. A most apt CDC handle, I'll give you that.

Again, you live in fantasy land where everyone is armed all the time and is ready to defend themselves at any moment, anytime.

My point is that everyone is NOT the same, that's what I'm saying. Not everyone can defend themselves, so who defends them? You talk about the household, ok, great, what about when the family member the supposed one responsible person is protecting is at the mall or at work or anywhere they are not, who defends them?

You know full well my statement about your grandma or kids was simply to prove a point and not what I would actually wish upon you. Come on...

You must not be familiar with the US Supreme Court decision that stated that the police have no duty to protect us.

And, AGAIN, YOU have the responsibility to protect yourself. It falls on no one but you. Apparently you don't get that.

So I guess if you get robbed/threatened with a death, tell the perpetrator to hold on a second while you call the police to come protect you. Or you could protect yourself by having situational awareness and having the proper tool to defend yourself. Me? I'd pick the latter because I understand that I'm responsible and capable in protecting myself.

And what are you talking about by "no bad guys anymore"? Did they magically disappear? Did they spontaneously get a conscience and the will to do no wrong? What are you talking about?

We don't live in the Mad Max world. Maybe you do, but we don't. And we don't want to live in Mad Max. Because you like and do live like that doesn't mean we want to be dragged down to your level. Where we are, which is 98% of the civilized world, every day ordinary people do not need deadly firearms to protect themselves. Simple as that. You here trying to impose your minority viewpoint to the majority like somehow you are right and we don't know what we are talking about when in fact it is the opposite.

If we live in Somalia or something, then yeah perhaps you might be right.

We don't live in the Mad Max world. Maybe you do, but we don't. And we don't want to live in Mad Max. Because you like and do live like that doesn't mean we want to be dragged down to your level. Where we are, which is 98% of the civilized world, every day ordinary people do not need deadly firearms to protect themselves. Simple as that. You here trying to impose your minority viewpoint to the majority like somehow you are right and we don't know what we are talking about when in fact it is the opposite.

If we live in Somalia or something, then yeah perhaps you might be right.

Yes. Screw the minority. The ones that actually have been victims or have family members of victims that couldn't protect themselves because of a political fiat backed by people with guns. Doesn't matter what kind of tirade you go in here, it's not going to affect me anyway. So got ahead and rage for me. :lol:

Your accusation of "imposing" the minority must be based off of a nice, friendly neighborhood you live in. The only one imposing here is you and your ilk, trying to IMPOSE your views on what is barely left of the free people. But please tell me more about how experienced you are in the violent society I live in. Preach from your desk. You know nothing of what it's like to live in a crime ridden area. Either that or you rely on the police to conduct your own personal responsibility in protecting yourself. Me, I'm a man and assume that responsibility for myself instead or armchairing from a desk about how "gunz r bad".

I think I'll go clean my big, mean AR rifle with some liberal tears as I take in the smell of burnt powder as it reminds me of what it is truly like to be free in this slavery infested, Stockholm syndrome illness that you spew. Smell that? mmmm.... That's the smell of freedom ,something which you know nothing about because you let FEAR impede your judgement. What's it like to be so scared?

Yes. Screw the minority. The ones that actually have been victims or have family members of victims that couldn't protect themselves because of a political fiat backed by people with guns. Doesn't matter what kind of tirade you go in here, it's not going to affect me anyway. So got ahead and rage for me. :lol:

Your accusation of "imposing" the minority must be based off of a nice, friendly neighborhood you live in. The only one imposing here is you and your ilk, trying to IMPOSE your views on what is barely left of the free people. But please tell me more about how experienced you are in the violent society I live in. Preach from your desk. You know nothing of what it's like to live in a crime ridden area. Either that or you rely on the police to conduct your own personal responsibility in protecting yourself. Me, I'm a man and assume that responsibility for myself instead or armchairing from a desk about how "gunz r bad".

I think I'll go clean my big, mean AR rifle with some liberal tears as I take in the smell of burnt powder as it reminds me of what it is truly like to be free in this slavery infested, Stockholm syndrome illness that you spew. Smell that? mmmm.... That's the smell of freedom ,something which you know nothing about because you let FEAR impede your judgement. What's it like to be so scared?

Ok seriously where do you live?

Somewhere (or anywhere) in Surrey I would guess. I went out there once...got shot at multiple times...left terrified...went home to Compton.

You couldn't be more wrong. But please, keep your sarcastic comments coming. I'm dying of laughter over here.... :picard:

Archived