The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler is overrated

89mogilny

This is not a Ryan Kesler hate thread because he held up the Canucks for ransom by only allowing organization to be traded to only two teams. We could have gotten a lot more had he not done this but it was a blessing in disguise for the Canucks.

Firstly, He is not a great guy in the dressing room to have by his actions(above), he is also a notorious diver, trash talker who hardly fights or back it up and let others come in to save his ass. When he doesn't get his way, he doesn't like to hide it at all and lets the whole world know that he is not happy. He hated RJ Umberger and made it public even though Umberger is a lot more liked than Kesler around the league by his teammates and also my his peers. It's never behind closed doors and with Anahiem faltering fast, he will probably be either bought out by season 2 or 3 into his contract or asked to be traded.

Secondly, his past accomplishments have been highly over talked about. His 2010 Olympics showing was great but wasn't a factor for the Americans in 2014. His past play off accomplishments are below average at best. He had one great play off series against the Preds where he was cleary the best player and one great play off period in 2013 game 2 against the Sharks but other than that he has pretty much no showed or not delievered at all. Look at 2010 for example after the Americans lost to Canada in the gold medal game he was pretty much non existent and it showed in the 2010 play offs and the series against Chicago some people said Luongo was the reason why we lost that year to the eventual champs but at least played good in at least two of those games where as Kesler was just plain invisible.

Lastly, his Selke award winning season was great but he should never have gotten that trophy. If you look back into that season it was Maholtra that was playing against the top lines making Kesler into a 40 goal scorer because the other teams had to focus on the Sedins twins/Burrows line. Kesler only scored against non play off teams and didn't have to play against opposing teams top forwards as broadcasted by the canucks media. After Maholtra went down (cost canucks the cup) Kesler began playing that role and the team was never the same, it wasn't Kesler's fault but the great situation the Canucks were in with three great centres. But let's be fair Maholtra never got the credit he deserved after the injury by management. After the injury Kesler never hit 30 goals or hit 60 points.

Finally, In conclusion The ducks will soon regret this contract extension because he is not worth the 6.75 million . He is not even a 50 point scorer anymore, he d be lucky to score over 20 goals this season and will never win another major trophy again.

I see that you've said it's not a Kesler hate thread, but it is. Including those first few sentences made it obvious before you started with your opinions.

You say he hated Umberger.. okay. That happened literally ten years before kesler got traded, or even made the canucks roster lol. Umberger was the salty bitch who whined because Kesler got a contract before he did. You purposely chose not to include that, though.

He had 4 pts and was a +6 for the USA in the 2014 olympics. That team had issues, he was not one of them.

2013 playoffs were just awful for everyone, but the referees &^@#ed us in that series. I don't hold anyone accountable for that series.

I agree regarding his Selke. Yes, it's true. Henrik and Malhotra during the regular season of that 2010-2011 season, were the heavy lifters. It was not deserved. The Malhotra $&!# is just nonsense. Gillis LOVED the guy as a player, so did the coaches, so did the players, so did the fans. He got a puck in the eye, they made a decision for him not to play much. He tried twice again in MTL and CAR, and he was not good. It's just a fact.

The non playoff team goal scoring stuff is nonsense. If you look at any player in the NHL, or at least 99% of them, they're going to have a majority of their goals scored against non-playoff teams...

His contract is awful, and they're going to regret that contract for sure - but the way you went about making your point is awful.

This is not a Ryan Kesler hate thread because he held up the Canucks for ransom by only allowing organization to be traded to only two teams. We could have gotten a lot more had he not done this but it was a blessing in disguise for the Canucks.

Firstly, He is not a great guy in the dressing room to have by his actions(above), he is also a notorious diver, trash talker who hardly fights or back it up and let others come in to save his ass. When he doesn't get his way, he doesn't like to hide it at all and lets the whole world know that he is not happy. He hated RJ Umberger and made it public even though Umberger is a lot more liked than Kesler around the league by his teammates and also my his peers. It's never behind closed doors and with Anahiem faltering fast, he will probably be either bought out by season 2 or 3 into his contract or asked to be traded.

Secondly, his past accomplishments have been highly over talked about. His 2010 Olympics showing was great but wasn't a factor for the Americans in 2014. His past play off accomplishments are below average at best. He had one great play off series against the Preds where he was cleary the best player and one great play off period in 2013 game 2 against the Sharks but other than that he has pretty much no showed or not delievered at all. Look at 2010 for example after the Americans lost to Canada in the gold medal game he was pretty much non existent and it showed in the 2010 play offs and the series against Chicago some people said Luongo was the reason why we lost that year to the eventual champs but at least played good in at least two of those games where as Kesler was just plain invisible.

Lastly, his Selke award winning season was great but he should never have gotten that trophy. If you look back into that season it was Maholtra that was playing against the top lines making Kesler into a 40 goal scorer because the other teams had to focus on the Sedins twins/Burrows line. Kesler only scored against non play off teams and didn't have to play against opposing teams top forwards as broadcasted by the canucks media. After Maholtra went down (cost canucks the cup) Kesler began playing that role and the team was never the same, it wasn't Kesler's fault but the great situation the Canucks were in with three great centres. But let's be fair Maholtra never got the credit he deserved after the injury by management. After the injury Kesler never hit 30 goals or hit 60 points.

Finally, In conclusion The ducks will soon regret this contract extension because he is not worth the 6.75 million . He is not even a 50 point scorer anymore, he d be lucky to score over 20 goals this season and will never win another major trophy again.

LOL you sound like a guy that got his A$$ kicked in the playground and trying to act tough after

LOL you sound like a guy that got his A$$ kicked in the playground and trying to act tough after

No bro, not acting tough at all, just stating facts. He was never a play off performer/great guy in the dressing room yet he was dubbed all of those things.

He's just a good player not a great player or difference maker. Kesler has always played behind a great centreman. He just isn't the guy that will take a team to the next step.

No bro, not acting tough at all, just stating facts. He was never a play off performer/great guy in the dressing room yet he was dubbed all of those things.

He's just a good player not a great player or difference maker. Kesler has always played behind a great centreman. He just isn't the guy that will take a team to the next step.

Thats bizarre, its almost like he's a second line centerman or something.

His contract is a joke.

his contract is what it costs flr a decent 2nd line center which he is. No on cares if you think hes a jerk he did well in 2011 cup run but ripping labrum in hip sorta affects your skating no!? so many idiots on here. ducks might be off to crappy start but they will make playoffs

I always thought Kesler was more of a grinder type player that somewhat evolved into an alright top-six forward.I agree, He IS overrated. We still managed a 100 pt season and finished second in the pacific without him.

But he is a great hockey player. Strong, fast, athletic, and gritty. He doesn't have the ability to carry a team like other centers though.

Kesler went to war for the Canucks for many of his life's best years and was here for like a decade of seasons. And he worked his way up the roster.

It makes me cringe at the people in this thread that choose to remember the rocky ending to his career here versus the vast majority of the time he spent here which was amazing. Vancouver hasn't exactly been drama free with any of its core players it's parted with in recent seasons, give the guy a break.

Kesler went to war for the Canucks for many of his life's best years and was here for like a decade of seasons. And he worked his way up the roster.

It makes me cringe at the people in this thread that choose to remember the rocky ending to his career here versus the vast majority of the time he spent here which was amazing. Vancouver hasn't exactly been drama free with any of its core players it's parted with in recent seasons, give the guy a break.

I think what we are seeing now is an injection of young legs throughout the league, who are both fast and skilled. This makes some of the older guys look slower - like Kesler. Plus, Kesler has never been known for his skill. Older players with a certain skill will be more noticeable; the Twins for example. Older players like Kesler will start to look past their best before date.

I don't give a fat rats' arse whether you liked him as a person or thought he wasn't a good guy. But over long periods of time, he did a lot of the dirty work and heavy lifting on his own with not much support. Notwithstanding the last couple of years here, the guy battled hard from the time he got here and IMO, he was the guy driving the bus for this team. When he was on, this team was something to behold.

He was here for 10 years and in one the memorable 2011 playoff run, he single-handedly destroyed the Preds then injured his hip in the Sharks series. Had he been healthy, we'd probably have won the Cup. Sure we didn't see beast mode as often as we wanted, but I considered him the heart beat of the team who carried the team on his shoulders but couldn't do it all on his own, especially when he was injured. Seeing him in tears following the SCF is something I'll never forget and showed how much he cared about this team and city.

I saw a 30 year old who'd spent his entire career with the same team, sacrificed his body and endured multiple surgeries and who upon seeing the direction the team was going decided he had to have one last shot go to a team with a chance to win the Cup while he was still able to play at a high level. I don't begrudge him that given his service to this team. Of course I didn't like how he left here and the bind he put us in with his trade request, but it was what it was.

You can slag his current contract or his current play with the Ducks, but don't downplay how important he was to this team or his accomplishments for all those years as a Canuck because of your bitterness around how he left. It makes you look like a bitter ex-girlfriend.

Edit: I've changed the timing of when he injured his leg. Not sure what I was thinking.

He is not even a 50 point scorer anymore, he d be lucky to score over 20 goals this season and will never win another major trophy again.

He just scored 20 goals and 47 points last year! Then added 13 points in 16 playoff games!

There are only a few players who win a major trophy. Kesler's Selke win is the only time a Canuck has ever done it. Same with the twins' trophies in 2010 and 2011. That doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't win is not an elite player.

...I rated this topic 1 star...but even then, it's overrated.

I don't give a fat rats' arse whether you liked him as a person or thought he wasn't a good guy. But over long periods of time, he did a lot of the dirty work and heavy lifting on his own with not much support. Notwithstanding the last couple of years here, the guy battled hard from the time he got here and IMO, he was the guy driving the bus for this team. When he was on, this team was something to behold.

He was here for 10 years and in one the memorable 2011 playoff run, he single-handedly destroyed the Preds while playing on one leg (injured his hip in the previous Sharks series). Sure we didn't see beast mode as often as we wanted, but I considered him the heart beat of the team who carried the team on his shoulders but couldn't do it all on his own, especially when he was injured. Seeing him in tears following the SCF is something I'll never forget and showed how much he cared about this team and city.

I see a 30 year old who spent his entire career with the same team, sacrificed his body and endured multiple surgeries and who upon seeing the direction the team was going decided he had to have one last shot go to a team with a chance to win the Cup while he was still able to play at a high level. I don't begrudge him that given his service to this team. Of course I didn't like how he left here and the bind he put us in with his trade request, but it was what it was.

You can slag his current contract or his current play with the Ducks, but don't downplay how important he was to this team or downplay his accomplishments for all those years as a Canuck because of your bitterness around how he left. It makes you look like a bitter ex-girlfriend.

Great post. Only Kes destroyed the Preds in the 2nd round, then got the injury against the Sharks in the 3rd round.

But what he did to Nashville was one of the greatest single playoff round performances of all time. The thing that made him so great was the same reason he wanted out of Vancouver - his insane desire to win. I wish more on the team had that, so I don't fault him for wanting out one bit.

I think what we are seeing now is an injection of young legs throughout the league, who are both fast and skilled. This makes some of the older guys look slower - like Kesler. Plus, Kesler has never been known for his skill. Older players with a certain skill will be more noticeable; the Twins for example. Older players like Kesler will start to look past their best before date.

If you think Kesler is slow you obviously have never watched him at all.

Great post. Only Kes destroyed the Preds in the 2nd round, then got the injury against the Sharks in the 3rd round.

But what he did to Nashville was one of the greatest single playoff round performances of all time. The thing that made him so great was the same reason he wanted out of Vancouver - his insane desire to win. I wish more on the team had that, so I don't fault him for wanting out one bit.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. I need another coffee.

Archived