The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler is overrated

89mogilny

I think the fact that he chose to go to either of these chief divisional & conference rivals,...is the biggest burn.

That's why there's some lingering bitterness, here. He & his agent were always going to seek his next big-money contract in the US, to maximize his marketability & to grow the profits of his off-ice ventures. He'll quite possibly be named captain of Team-USA's next Olympic team. But, by bolting to either the 'Hawks (CHI) & now Ducks (ANA)... we are literally being forced to receive him as the 'villainous foe', ..he has chosen to become to us. It's all so traitorous.

That's the irritating rub.

Fair response

He injured his leg against the Sharks which was after the Preds series. And yes he did carry the team for the 2011 playoffs. But if he truly did care about the city and organization? He shouldn't have handcuffed JB into one option. I hope he never ever gets to hoist the cup. Of the hundreds of players to come and go through Vancouver. I'm most bitter about how Kesler left.

You make this so personal. He gave his all here, and when he finally lost his love and faith for his club, for what ever reason, he wanted out and left. He wasn't yours, he was the clubs, and players move all the time.....grow up!

Pavel left under not so warm of departure......do you have the same wish for him?

Maybe look at it like Garrison thinks of us.........you know.......we didn't want him! Hope you don't receive his wish, cause that arena won't fit up where he is wishing it would go.

It is just hockey! A game!  Kesler sure did entertain! We could use another Kesler!

Kesler played with the wrong kind of chip on his shoulder imo - not really the productive kind, unfortunately counterproductive for the most part.

Best that he moved on, and yes, he is over-rated.

For a few shifts here and there he was dominant, maybe a week or two at times, and had a great prime, but hasn't been all that for quite some time now.

That the perception of his dominance is limited pretty much to 'the Nashville series' once upon a time ought to be indication enough - if that Kesler were the Kesler, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion, but that wasn't and isn't the case.   Happy with the pieces that came this way tbh, and would take that deal all over again in a heartbeat.

I don't want to discount Kesler and how much effort he put in here. I think overrated might not be the right way to describe the OP. I will say though sometimes he gets a little more credit than maybe he deserves. 

He is a great 2nd line Center though. If he was able to play his wingers strengths a little better and dished the puck a little better he could be an elite 2nd line center, borderline #1 center. He can be a little inconsistent though, when he is on his game he's a beast. If he's not then you see some bad penalties ect. 

No he's not. You're just looking at stats and measuring his contributions to his team just based on that. That's a mistake. He brings so much more to the table and frankly he played here for so many years that you all should know that.

Will what else does he bring?  A championship attitude?  Don't give me this ' Oh he shadows other teams best players allowing Getzlaf to be more offensive minded.  Please.  He will never win a championship, ever.  We drafted him and flipped him for McCann, Sbisa and to a lesser extent Sutter.  And that was the best thing he did for this organization.  Good riddance.

This isn't a knock on your thread.

This is a horrible thread. I bet you cried when he was traded.

If it's so horrible why are you wasting your time replying?

Obviously you're a kid so I will go very lightly on you, I would never cry over losing a whining, arrogant and overrated player that only cares about himself and not his teammates. If somebody wants to be traded that's fine but don't handcuff a team and make unnecessary comments on justifying being traded just keep your mouth shut and options more wide open. He's not Pavel Bure where he can do whatever he wants, not even Bure limited the teams he wanted to be traded to and only bashed past ownership and management. 

You make this so personal. He gave his all here, and when he finally lost his love and faith for his club, for what ever reason, he wanted out and left. He wasn't yours, he was the clubs, and players move all the time.....grow up!

Pavel left under not so warm of departure......do you have the same wish for him?

Maybe look at it like Garrison thinks of us.........you know.......we didn't want him! Hope you don't receive his wish, cause that arena won't fit up where he is wishing it would go.

It is just hockey! A game!  Kesler sure did entertain! We could use another Kesler!

It is personal when I spend a boatload of my personal money to be entertained by this team. And after one bad season a key part wants out and gives our GM no options. If you think that's ok maybe you should shuffle on down the I5 to Orange County and root for Ducks and Kesler. And no I don't feel the same about Bure's departure. I don't recall him forcing a trade to one and only one team. 

It is personal when I spend a boatload of my personal money to be entertained by this team. And after one bad season a key part wants out and gives our GM no options. If you think that's ok maybe you should shuffle on down the I5 to Orange County and root for Ducks and Kesler. And no I don't feel the same about Bure's departure. I don't recall him forcing a trade to one and only one team. 

Sergio

I may have used a little stronger words than I should have, and I apologize for that, and I do understand the disappointment, and you do have the right to express you thoughts anyway you wish, but........

Regardless of his ability, and only discussing your feelings, it seems so pointless to really feel that way when, players and managers are doing this through out the league on a daily basis. This is a young boys sport and a Millionaires hobby, but the truth is that GM's, here and throughout the league, do this as a part of doing business......

Imagine a young boy playing hockey at 6 years old and shows a little talent, his skill grows, and by the age of 10 is a sure fired NHL hockey player in 8 years, gets pushed and pulled in many directions, hears that he is going to be a star, plays junior and gets drafted, goes to a pro camp and gets sent to the minors, sometimes 1000's of miles away, struggles, pushes and finally makes the NHL, and gets put on the 4th line and gushes that he made the NHL, and then gets traded to a team that is struggling in a place he has never heard of before............and he goes there or hangs up his skates for good......this is a fact and he was never given a choice other than that....like I said, it happens just like that every season

How is that so different than what Kessler did? He stuck around a long time.........he paid his dues!

You may not like his decision, but you have to respect the player!

IMO

Sergio

I may have used a little stronger words than I should have, and I apologize for that, and I do understand the disappointment, and you do have the right to express you thoughts anyway you wish, but........

Regardless of his ability, and only discussing your feelings, it seems so pointless to really feel that way when, players and managers are doing this through out the league on a daily basis. This is a young boys sport and a Millionaires hobby, but the truth is that GM's, here and throughout the league, do this as a part of doing business......

Imagine a young boy playing hockey at 6 years old and shows a little talent, his skill grows, and by the age of 10 is a sure fired NHL hockey player in 8 years, gets pushed and pulled in many directions, hears that he is going to be a star, plays junior and gets drafted, goes to a pro camp and gets sent to the minors, sometimes 1000's of miles away, struggles, pushes and finally makes the NHL, and gets put on the 4th line and gushes that he made the NHL, and then gets traded to a team that is struggling in a place he has never heard of before............and he goes there or hangs up his skates for good......this is a fact and he was never given a choice other than that....like I said, it happens just like that every season

How is that so different than what Kessler did? He stuck around a long time.........he paid his dues!

You may not like his decision, but you have to respect the player!

IMO

Um, you're talking about a journeyman the Adam Cracknells, Tom Sesitos, Clayton Stoners, Ryan Stantons, those are the guys you are talking about that are happy just to have a job but no disrespect to them. FANS and OWNERSHIP don't pay their hard money on those type of players.

We pay to see guys like the Rick Nashs, Eric Stahhls, Shane Doans and the Ryan Keslers. The stars that market the game. Tell me stars that wanted out the way Kesler wanted out? The guys I mentioned above have been missing the play offs year after year, finally Rick Nash asked to be traded, the CBJ fans didn't boo him because he stuck it out and tried to make them an elite team but after a decade he decided he wanted out and didn't demand to be traded to one team. He wasted his prime years in CBJ. Look at Kesler his team was on top of the food chain for several years and after one bump in the road, he wants out? are you kidding me, you think Rick NAsh any of the other guys would have done that, they would be grateful playing for a team that has our success. Getzlaf and Perry missed the play offs in 2010, the summer before Pronger was traded and then Niedermayer retiring the following summer, did they want to be traded because their window was closing?

Nobody is Kesler's postion does that except if you are Dany Heatley and he had more reasons of wanting to leave and gave Ottawa more options and rejecting a trade to Edmonton doesn't count because nobody wants to play there. He was willing to get traded to 10 teams that were in the play offs, he was a back to back 50 goal scorer, 100 point scorer and was better player at the time than Kesler was ever(at heatley's peak) Heatley is the only player post lock out to do what Kesler did and look how his career turned out, hoping kesler will suffer the same fate by missing the play offs year after year.

Mogilny

I guess as far as I am concerned, Kessler never had the talent to be considered a 1st line player. Close, but no cigar! An elite 1st line center uses all his players on the ice. Kessler never did.....so maybe my opinion just differs from some. So to compare him to those elite player doesn't make sense to me.......I am afraid most had rose colored glasses on because he played with passion, everyone like that, but that is entirely a different thing.......

I just wonder if we really knew how he really felt, and what his problem may really have been....I can honestly say I don't know, and I trust no one on here does........but

My point is Gm's do that $&!# all the time. And like I said before.......we could really use a Kessler!

His offensive game is overrated.

He scored some big goals for us and had that one big season where he was still a relatively unknown asset. No one knew he possessed that shot, so no one was ready for him to unleash those lasers two to three steps over the blue line. Once the book on him was out it was almost too easy to shut him down.

That being said he's still an unreal 2C and I would take him back in a heartbeat- he's the kind of player who rises to the occassion and he was the best Duck in their run last year bar none. A player like him would have made Ferland his bitch at both ends of the rink.

I will in never say Kes was over rated, because he worked his arse off everytime he was on the ice. He left it all in the game, and he's what you call a complete player. 

However, I will say that he is now overrated. With all of the younger speed and skill that's been injected into the league the past year. 

I think he is smart as hell though, for managing to get himself that contract. Stupid Murray. Delivering crazy contracts like newspaper. 

I love Kesler! If he was still playing on our team, there wouldn't be this overrated thread created by OP. 

I've always wondered if they made Kesler Captain and Hank and Danny A's. Less pressure on the Sedans and brings Kesler's beast mode. 

'Beast Mode' is laughable. He had a career season and everyone thought that that was the real Kesler. He is a solid 2nd line center who is defensively responsible and can dial up the offence from time to time. Any coach would love that kind of player but if Anaheim fans think they got the 40 goal-scoring, Selke-winning Kesler, they are high. That guy peaked in 2011.

Archived