The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's with the Vrbata hate?

CanucksJay

He's a niche player, regular season fantasy owner's dream, playoff team's nightmare.

Unlike what a lot of people on here seem to think, I believe he is one of our hardest working forwards.

It's not that he's disinterested or refuses to engage in the play- it's that his approach to the game is much like Baertschi's. It's clear that without the Hanzal's and Doan's wreaking havoc that he gets suffocated by the defense that would otherwise have their hands full with his linemates.

I'm sure as soon as one him or Baer is dropped from Horvat's wing we'll see a rise in production from both.

Good post. I guess that's why Prust is moving up to the second line. Higgins did all the board work on that line last year. I liked Burr on that line as well, but they seem to want him protecting McCann. I think Baer would be good with McCann, but they would be pretty soft. Maybe switch Dorsett and Hansen.

I'll bring on the hate. I think he just doesn't fit our team. The Sedins don't like playing with him that's fairly obvious, that leaves the second line with Horvat and they have yet to mesh. He's a UFA after this season and after the no-show in last years playoffs why would we resign him? Why would he want to resign? Sure it's a possibility that the Canucks could contend for a cup but with that D core and a aging starting goalie that's seems pretty remote. Trading Vrbata for either a draft pick or Dman should be managements top priority. So there's my hate.

He got 4 points in 6 games in last year's playoffs. And Boston won the cup with an aging goalie too (he was 38).

Hate's a pretty strong word, he's not Sopel or Booth, those guys were very hateable.

I'm thinking he just hasn't found his groove yet this year, and as DeNiro mentioned, having Baer and Vrb on the same line isn't ideal for either player. They both need a couple of strong forwards making space for them to sneak into. Bo's awesome, but can't quite do the job of two forwards...yet...

He (and Horvat if they stay together) need a forechecking winger to play with:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/372516-2nd-line-forechecker/

He's also been shooting wide on a LOT of grade A chances. Probably almost as frustrating for us to watch as they are to him though :lol: On a good note, those should start going in.

If that line gets a forechecker, we'll see. Their still seems to be a lack of chemistry with Horvat but that could be because they both need that forechecker to elevate their play.

With Horvat:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Burrows, Horvat, Vrbata

Baer, McCann, Hansen/Virtanen

Dorsett, Cracknell, Virtanen/Hansen

Without Horvat:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Burrows, McCann, Vrbata

Prust/Dorsett, Cracknel, Dorsett/Virtanen

So we should criticize the rookies but not the vets? Miller has one bad game and suddenly he sucks?

If a players not playing well they're open to criticism just like everybody else. Vrbata is no different.

Exactly. People are just overly sensitive these days and look at basic criticism as hatred. You'd think that people were cursing his name and fouling his reputation.

He (and Horvat if they stay together) need a forechecking winger to play with: http://forum.canucks.com/topic/372516-2nd-line-forechecker/ He's also been shooting wide on a LOT of grade A chances. Probably almost as frustrating for us to watch as they are to him though :lol: On a good note, those should start going in. If that line gets a forechecker, we'll see. Their still seems to be a lack of chemistry with Horvat but that could be because they both need that forechecker to elevate their play. With Horvat:Sedin, Sedin, SutterBurrows, Horvat, VrbataBaer, McCann, Hansen/VirtanenDorsett, Cracknell, Virtanen/HansenWithout Horvat:Sedin, Sedin, SutterBaer, Horvat, HansenBurrows, McCann, VrbataPrust/Dorsett, Cracknel, Dorsett/Virtanen

The without Horvat lineup still has just as much Horvat as the with Horvat lineup.

The one thing I notice with the appraisals of Vrabata, very little of it has to do with what it's like to have to play against this line-up.

They put him on the other lines in order to make the offense more dangerous to defend against.

This tactic is working and it will keep working if changes are continually made.

The line-up isn't printed up so every fan in the world will be satisfied...

Fans are supposed to find their satisfaction from the Result of These Changes.

Face it... most of us are armatures who get our priorities mixed up with the realities of life...

Joy is only found... when you allow your style of entertainment to take you on... A Magical Mystery Tour.

The Canucks have done exactly that... for 45 Years now... even though...

For the most Part... It's Been a Real Bummer.

Exactly. People are just overly sensitive these days and look at basic criticism as hatred. You'd think that people were cursing his name and fouling his reputation.

The without Horvat lineup still has just as much Horvat as the with Horvat lineup.

*Vrbata without Horvat. Figured that was self explanatory...next time I'll draw you a @#$%'ing picture :rolleyes:

Hate's a pretty strong word, he's not Sopel or Booth, those guys were very hateable.

I'm thinking he just hasn't found his groove yet this year, and as DeNiro mentioned, having Baer and Vrb on the same line isn't ideal for either player. They both need a couple of strong forwards making space for them to sneak into. Bo's awesome, but can't quite do the job of two forwards...yet...

I understand Booth, but just out of curiosity, what was wrong with Sopel? Aside from his 2007 stint.

As for Vrbata, frankly there just isn't much Chemistry between him, Baertschi, and Horvat. They looked very good some nights, but just uncoordinated. I think they'd have a ton more points if they had more chemistry.

Also, I agree, Vancouverites are too harsh on players. Demitra and Samuelsson were practically driven out of town, despite being everything we needed and more from them. It's only 4 games into the season guys. Just give it time.

He (and Horvat if they stay together) need a forechecking winger to play with:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/372516-2nd-line-forechecker/

He's also been shooting wide on a LOT of grade A chances. Probably almost as frustrating for us to watch as they are to him though :lol: On a good note, those should start going in.

If that line gets a forechecker, we'll see. Their still seems to be a lack of chemistry with Horvat but that could be because they both need that forechecker to elevate their play.

With Horvat:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Burrows, Horvat, Vrbata

Baer, McCann, Hansen/Virtanen

Dorsett, Cracknell, Virtanen/Hansen

Without Horvat:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Burrows, McCann, Vrbata

Prust/Dorsett, Cracknel, Dorsett/Virtanen

I like the McCann Burrows Vrbata line but not against heavy teams. I'd also like to see Dorsett play with Baer and Bo.

I think Vrbata and Baertschi have the same problem. Neither are hard enough on the puck when we don't have possession. They both look good when they have the puck, but neither do enough to get it back when they don't. They should not be on the same line together unless one of them is going to change their game. I expect Vrbata will get top line minutes tonight with Baertschi sitting. If Vrbata is going to retain any trade value we will need to stop playing him with uncomplimentary players. There's no hate for Vrbata from me, but there is no free pass either. He needs to step up or step aside. I'd be amiable to Vrbata on the 3rd with our bangers to see what kind of space can be made for him in the slot.

Now with 20% more Horvat

I understand Booth, but just out of curiosity, what was wrong with Sopel? Aside from his 2007 stint.

As for Vrbata, frankly there just isn't much Chemistry between him, Baertschi, and Horvat. They looked very good some nights, but just uncoordinated. I think they'd have a ton more points if they had more chemistry.

Also, I agree, Vancouverites are too harsh on players. Demitra and Samuelsson were practically driven out of town, despite being everything we needed and more from them. It's only 4 games into the season guys. Just give it time.

Sopel was a massive liability, king of pizza's, I started actually hating the guy when I realized his "scared" reaction was to throw the puck down the middle instead of taking a hit, I wouldn't have minded if he'd have just thrown it at the boards to avoid the forecheck, but nope, right down the gut. He was always turning the puck over in the neutral zone too, but it's ancient history.

That and his hair, just sooo greasy. You make millions of dollars but won't pay for a haircut or shampoo.

Vrbata is a top 6 forward who led the team in goals last year and he is very skilled. He's probably more frustrated than Canucks fans, knowing a lot of those shots he took should've gone in. Holding the stick a little too tight I guess. That being said, watch Vrbata get 2 goals tonight. Then on Monday we'll all be saying how great he is and what a natural goal scorer he is etc.

Archived